• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

how does the viper handle?

Re: Push

MCApex44 said:
NOMOREBRAHPP said:
My ltx pushed pretty bad at first. I was running the cat staggered dual 4" runner on the stock ski.After damaging one of the skis on a rock in the first 10 miles and after about 200 miles of under steer, did some research and ordered a set of curve skis with 6" carbide. Handling improved dramatically .... Little to no push ,very light steering effort ,sled goes where you aim it . Only problem is it darted bad on grooved trails ..... Real bad . They suggested their "leading edge"dual carbide front runner when I originally ordered my skis but I opted not to .

After installing the dual leading edge carbides (they mount in front of the existing wearbar) they have almost eliminated all darting but the great news is it handles even better . Skis feel like there glued to the ground and steering feels even lighter now ...

mmm...my findings on the Curves were a tad different then what you found. I bought a pair of used Curves with 7.5 shapers and added the 4" LE. I put them on for one ride for about 50 miles and took them off that night to put my stock skis with 6" Double Downs (slim jims) back on. Here are my findings. The Curves on the Viper get a 10 out of 10 for eliminating any push and for steering effectiveness and accuracy. These Curves flat out work and make the sled go where you want it to go. You want to talk about a sled that rails...i'll give props to the curves as they make this sled rail. The Leading Edge eliminated any darting as well.

Here is what I didn't like and why I took them off and went back to the stockers w/ 6" double downs. The Curves increased steering effort tremendously. I found the steering effort to be very hard. There was so much bite on the front end they added occasional inside ski lift and they also made the rear end squirrely and I have 135 studs. It will be interesting to hear your feedback when after you install the LE to see maybe if the LE is what increased or caused the heavy steering effort. But-there is no way I would run these skis without the LE because I hate darting.

Back with the stockers...running the stockers with 6" double downs/slim jims steering effort is minimal (like power steering) with no darting at all. Push is minimal and whatever push you do have is manageable with some body English. My days of getting 'worn out' by a heavy/hard steering sled are over. The stockers work great with the slim jims at 70-75lbs in the front shocks.

I,ll chime in on this i,ve got Curve xs skis with four inch round bars and four inch leading edge and they made a huge difference on how this sled handles. But i will say one thing if you had heavy steering or the back end was squirelly you had to back off on the center spring pressure.
I also have an 2012 Arctic Cat turbo and i can,t believe how sensitive this sled is for set - up. I,ll give you an example rode the sled last week i thought i had it dialed in but i thought the steering was a little heavy so i cranked the pre -load one turn only on the center spring that made the steering to light and wasn,t stable. Backed it half a turn and the sled now rails with lighter steering.

cannondale27 said:
The vent plug procedure saved day since sled would not stay running. Really need the rollover valve installed. Lost a qt of oil in 30 seconds with it just on right side. Ripped up sticker a bit.
What's the vent plug procedure? I rolled mine over yesterday and it wouldn't stay running. I rolled it on the other side for a while and then I got oil pressure back and it stayed running.

mtotguy said:
cannondale27 said:
The vent plug procedure saved day since sled would not stay running. Really need the rollover valve installed. Lost a qt of oil in 30 seconds with it just on right side. Ripped up sticker a bit.
What's the vent plug procedure? I rolled mine over yesterday and it wouldn't stay running. I rolled it on the other side for a while and then I got oil pressure back and it stayed running.

Rolled ours and did like I used to for the Phazer and just started it and let it run until it dies. I think it took 5 tries if I remember right. Little to no oil loss, sled laid on left side for about 5 minutes before we rolled it all the way over to get it back up as it was on its side on a hill. Rolling it all the way over and no visable oil.

Re: Push

fxr said:
MCApex44 said:
NOMOREBRAHPP said:
My ltx pushed pretty bad at first. I was running the cat staggered dual 4" runner on the stock ski.After damaging one of the skis on a rock in the first 10 miles and after about 200 miles of under steer, did some research and ordered a set of curve skis with 6" carbide. Handling improved dramatically .... Little to no push ,very light steering effort ,sled goes where you aim it . Only problem is it darted bad on grooved trails ..... Real bad . They suggested their "leading edge"dual carbide front runner when I originally ordered my skis but I opted not to .

After installing the dual leading edge carbides (they mount in front of the existing wearbar) they have almost eliminated all darting but the great news is it handles even better . Skis feel like there glued to the ground and steering feels even lighter now ...

mmm...my findings on the Curves were a tad different then what you found. I bought a pair of used Curves with 7.5 shapers and added the 4" LE. I put them on for one ride for about 50 miles and took them off that night to put my stock skis with 6" Double Downs (slim jims) back on. Here are my findings. The Curves on the Viper get a 10 out of 10 for eliminating any push and for steering effectiveness and accuracy. These Curves flat out work and make the sled go where you want it to go. You want to talk about a sled that rails...i'll give props to the curves as they make this sled rail. The Leading Edge eliminated any darting as well.

Here is what I didn't like and why I took them off and went back to the stockers w/ 6" double downs. The Curves increased steering effort tremendously. I found the steering effort to be very hard. There was so much bite on the front end they added occasional inside ski lift and they also made the rear end squirrely and I have 135 studs. It will be interesting to hear your feedback when after you install the LE to see maybe if the LE is what increased or caused the heavy steering effort. But-there is no way I would run these skis without the LE because I hate darting.

Back with the stockers...running the stockers with 6" double downs/slim jims steering effort is minimal (like power steering) with no darting at all. Push is minimal and whatever push you do have is manageable with some body English. My days of getting 'worn out' by a heavy/hard steering sled are over. The stockers work great with the slim jims at 70-75lbs in the front shocks.

I,ll chime in on this i,ve got Curve xs skis with four inch round bars and four inch leading edge and they made a huge difference on how this sled handles. But i will say one thing if you had heavy steering or the back end was squirelly you had to back off on the center spring pressure.
I also have an 2012 Arctic Cat turbo and i can,t believe how sensitive this sled is for set - up. I,ll give you an example rode the sled last week i thought i had it dialed in but i thought the steering was a little heavy so i cranked the pre -load one turn only on the center spring that made the steering to light and wasn,t stable. Backed it half a turn and the sled now rails with lighter steering.

That's good info fxr ... If I feel like playing and fine tuning I'll give that a try ... Nice to know I dont have to go 4-5 turns to get results :Rockon:

Does the 129 push as bad as the 137?? Not happy with the way my 137 handles. I am trying a 129 next week as well as MXZX 800etech shorty. Interested in seeing the difference.

mtotguy said:
cannondale27 said:

Right side roll will cause this. Left is not a issue.

Remove the big vent hose on oil tank right by the fill plug,Put your finger over the hole and start engine. It will run and oil light will go off. Or buy a Rollover kit.

Best handling sled I have owned , put on 6" woodys slim Jim's ,totally different sled. I just love this sled.

Over all the sled handles great.

Feels lite and nimble.
Easy to toss around on and off trail.
Suspension works great. Takes the small chatter smooth.
Very little bottoming on the big woops.

The sled did push and darted fairly bad with stock skis/stock carbides.

I installed 6.9 Pilot skis and toed out 1/2".
6" carbide in the center, 4" on the outside. Huge improvement.
Holds the trail great on the hard pack and very little darting. Still easy steering.
A little push in real deep snow.

Back