• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How fat are you???

Sodes

Extreme
Website
www.sledovations.com
I brought my 05 RX-1 into my local dealer to have the one problem that Yamaha has admitted to being wrong with their 05' Rx-1, the RA boot. While there I had Dan at Highlands Yamaha (countryside Illinois) inspect the welds on the skid where the paint / powder coating was visibly chipped. I mentioned that there were cases (TY) where these chipped weld turned into breaks. Highlands is a big dealership and I think one of the Midwest's leading snowmobile dealerships; I really think they are good people and honest. Dan said that he had never seen a case of a broken skid, Yamaha had never at theur dealership authorized the installation of grease fitting, nor the replacement of the nylon bushings under warranty. I am not a small guy, 5'10 205 and I ride that sled like I stole it. In the UP last year we were riding 70 mph for an hour through some of the nastiest Sunday afternoon beaten trails that any nut-busting mess could have dished out (John Dee territory) and if that skid did not break. I can't imagine anything could kill it after that. Soooooo my question is how much fatter are you guys than me? 250, 300, 375 lbs. Is that what's breaking these skids or am I fortunate to have purchased one of the few machines not assemble after a weekend of sake induced karaoke binge drinking?? I think we need to conduct a pole of who has broken their skid and what's their weight. No offence guys cause I have no room to talk, but I was just wondering. A great site and a wonderful resource!!!!

Sodes

Well i am 5`9 and 240 and i myself have ridden through some rough trail Last year up in maine around EAGLE lake ITS 85 from there down they didnt groom the trails cause the groomers were broke and some political BS but i ran through there like there was a volcano following me and a friend on a rev and a few on cats were putting along My frind with rev said if that thing didint brake then it never would it looks fine no problems I do have it adjusted right though and feel it is a terrible ride If i keep it ExpertX all the way :Rockon:

240 no gear
3800 miles
1set of slides blue

I put 2500 miles on my 05 RX-1 last season, some of it was extremely hard riding all over MI (LP and UP). I am 6'2" 250 lbs and I have had nothing break on me as of yet. Going to dealership this weekend though to see about fixing my RA boot and my Wheels that are locked up.

I figure I have about 250# weight on my '04 RX-1 (me & my gear)

When I read through the brochure - prior to buying - Yamaha advertised the skid as being every much a "bump-champ" as anything else out there, so I put it through it's paces. It didn't hold up. Broke the W-arm 2X, 1 for each season. Now I have an expert-x to start season #3 (SOLEY FOR DURABILITY REASONS).

I go about 260 with gear, and that is above average, but I tore up a W-arm, shock, about 6 sets of hyfax, RA cable, 2 boots, rail tips, and 4 idler wheels on my Mono skid in 2000 miles.

Maybe I'm too big for a Yamaha, but I put 3 sets of hyfax on my 01 MXZ 800 in 6000 miles at the same weight. That's it.

Point being, for a $9500 sled, the skid should be more durable. It handles great, and takes the bumps, but I too am moving into an aftermarket skid. Not for ride, but for durability. I like to ride during the winter, not spend Mondays dropping a sled off and hoping it is done by Friday.

I weigh 210-215, probably 240+ ready to ride (heavy suite, heavy boots, tekvest, helmet, etc.). I usually keep the trunk bag on with an extra sweater, handlebar muffs, spare oil, few tools, lots of maps, etc.). That's probably an extra 5+ lbs on the very back of the seat.

Shortly after 5000 kms (3200 miles) I noticed a very small, hairline crack on my front pivot arm and it was changed under warranty. I also purchased and installed a heavy duty spring (had been backordered for a while).

I then put about 800 kms of aggressive riding on it and no new cracks showed up. Then during almost 4000 kms on a bagger trip the pivot arm broke right through in two places. Also the skid got all twisted up and the track was severely damaged. With the saddle bags and fully loaded trunk bag the weight on the seat was probably around 280 lbs.

After that with another new pivot arm, but a damaged track (one side was very loose and the other side had to be very over tightened in order to run true), bent slide rails, a bent rear pivot arm and shot rear pivot arm bushings it took only 1000 kms for the front pivot arm to show high stress signs in the same areas (paint flaking right along the areas where the previous ones cracked through). Also each ride out with the bent suspension something major would break each time (hyfax fell off, idler wheels fell off, rear shaft bolt came loose, hyfax would burn away in 100 kms, etc.). This last 1000 kms probably isn't a good indication of how long the front pivot arm should last.

Based on the fact that it took over 5000 kms before the first arm cracked with around 250 lbs on the seat and me being an aggressive rider I'm not surprised many of them haven't broken yet.

Still when you compare this to me riding 15,000 kms on the same type of trails in similar conditions on my old '97 Storm SE and never having a single suspension failure in any way... You get the picture... (I've put well over 100,000 kms on many sleds in the past 28 years and the 05 RX-1 is the only one I've had any suspension problems other than regular maintenance and a couple of high mileage broken springs)

The 05 RX-1 is an awesome riding sled, but the durability of the skid isn't there IMO.

With the 06 updates it should be better, but I'm not convinced it will be as durable as the competition.

RX-Dave said:
I go about 260 with gear, and that is above average, but I tore up a W-arm, shock, about 6 sets of hyfax, RA cable, 2 boots, rail tips, and 4 idler wheels on my Mono skid in 2000 miles.

Maybe I'm too big for a Yamaha, but I put 3 sets of hyfax on my 01 MXZ 800 in 6000 miles at the same weight. That's it.

Point being, for a $9500 sled, the skid should be more durable. It handles great, and takes the bumps, but I too am moving into an aftermarket skid. Not for ride, but for durability. I like to ride during the winter, not spend Mondays dropping a sled off and hoping it is done by Friday.

Where do you ride? I'm 270 BEFORE I dress, and I haven't had any of these issues. I am on my first set of hyfax at 1200 miles, I'm going to change them since I will have the skid out of the sled anyway getting it readay for the season, but they don't need to be changed yet. My idler wheels are fine and I will check the W-Arm when I get the skid out, but there is no obvious damage that I can see now.

I think people panic on the hyfax because they wear a lot early, but they seem to reach a point where they just stop wearing down. Most are changing them too early.

Oh yeah, my hyfax lasted until 10,000 kms when one fell off due the screw that holds them on fatiguing through (likely because the rail tip came loose).

The idler wheel bearings were shot about every 3500 kms, but would probably have lasted 5000+ kms if I ignored the vibration (middle idlers primarily).

The RA boot and cable failed at about 5500 kms and again at 9500 kms.

My slide rails cracked at the middle idlers at around 9500 kms (after they were bent by the failed pivot arm).

The shock also wore almost through at the rear mount point from the track rubbing it. This might also have been aggravated by the broken/bent suspension.

The sled was basically out of commission since Feb 23rd (rode a few short trips with the bent up suspension after, but it broke each time out and I didn't trust it). It's been at the dealers for a while now and is still waiting for backordered parts. Pretty much everything to do with the skid is shot.

On the good side of things, my dealer has told me that they are installing a brand new 06 skid on my sled. Also it sounds like they are also supplementing the new track installation as they quoted me between 1 - 1.5 hours to do the track change including bearing and seal installation. I still had to pay for the track (at 10,300 kms even without the skid failing it would have close to end of life anyway).

After I get the sled back I'm planning to take it into my own hands (warranty is up in 9 days and dealer/Yamaha say that is it, no more warranty coverage) and get the new pivot arm reinforced as well as install new wheels with replaceable, much heavier duty 6205 bearings.

At my dealer, the majority of the RX-1s they sold last year had issues with hyfax.

If I backed off the track tension 1/2 a turn, it would jump the drivers. I would not adjust it any more than necessary to keep them from jumping, and I was still eating them up. Literally melting them.

Some days were better than others when it came to snow conditions, but the day I rode with 3 buddies and I had new hyfax, one of them stopped to ask if my sled was burning up. You could litterally smell it while riding. Irregardlesss of trail conditions, they werent melting theirs (oh yea, Yamaha now has "updated slippery hyfax available for the mono RA). On that day, I must have adjusted my track 5 times till it would slip, then a smidge tighter, and they were still melting.

The Mono RA gets VERY tight as it goes thru the travel. You have to have it on the verge of slipping in order to be able to use thefull travel. The other option is stiff the skid all the way up, and only use half the travel. Thus negating the need for a long travel skid.

I love the sled, but everyone here would agree (including Yamaha and their 20+ updates on the Mono RA Skid), that several issues were not though thru all the way.

While my hyfax lasted 10,000 kms, it did have a major tendency to overheat at lower miles.

I spent many a ride regularly dipping into off-trail snow to keep them from melting down.

I too had a time when my buddies thought my sled was on fire (I think some molten hyfax material flipped up and was burning on the muffler). Just like you one of my buddies flagged me down thinking my sled was on fire (after stopping I thought so too...).

Once I had 2000+ kms on them they pretty much stopped overheating. Between about 6000 kms and 10,000 kms I rode in some very low snow conditions and again they ran quite cool the entire time and didn't seem to wear at all.

By 6000 kms they were only a couple of millimeters above the wear limit (actually by 2000 kms they only had about 3 mm left).

I didn't have any trouble with track tension affecting hyfax wear. I also didn't have any noticeable problems with the track tension through the full range of travel. My track did constantly keep stretching over the miles but never ratcheted even when very loose (except when the pivot arm had failed).

i weigh in at a whopping 165, not more than 195 dressed and have had all the common sus. issues (cracked rails, broken pivot arm, broken ra cable, bushings, track taken out by pivot arm)with around 2500 miles on my 05. my bro weighs in around 210-220 dressed and had a broken pivot arm and wasted bushings with 900 miles on his machine, yup that's not a typo 900 miles. only thing that i can figure was last year we both went down a washboard trail between seney and grand marais in the u.p. around 100 m.p.h. i think it may be a high vibration thing that's causing the pivot arms to break, but i can't be sure. i can tell you i myself never really jumped the sled and normally only ride with my wife and son (her machine has 500 miles less than mine and don't ride without me).

Back