• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How Hard???

powderpimp1

Expert
Im wondering how hard you fello nyrtos ride your nytro. im trying to figure out how much abuse they can take. full throttle all the time? always in the air? engine durablity. What is the limite till something breaks? :yam:

Well, as I'm sure you've read in the thread "Nytro suspension reliability" a few guys have had issues there. However, if you've read closely, it sounds as though they are totally pisspounding them constantly & then whining that Yamaha built a poor sled. My opinion is that they are obviously pushing the suspension way beyond its limits & it's their own fault for the failures. Everything mechanical has its limits.

I ride mine what I'd call "normal". I average 50-60 MPH on the trails, hit drifts & bumps when possible to get some air, full throttle when possible, etc. I have not had ANY issues with the suspension or engine.

The engine as you may or may not know, is of an old, VERY, VERY proven design. It's the old FJ1200 cycle engine with one cylinder lopped off. Those engines have been made since the early 80's.

As far as I know the engine doesn't have a rev-limiter, so yea, if you'd pull the belt off & peg the throttle wide open & just hold it, I'm sure the engine would break. But, I suppose according to some folks on here, that would be Yamahas fault too.

Well, aside from the rear suspension. This sled takes the hits and keeps on going. We have some of the most unforgiving terrain to ride on, exposed rocks, low snow conditions, NO groomed trails. The worst I have done is bend an A-arm while breaking trail...stupid hiden boulders, but that was an easy fix. As for the rear suspension, I hated it! Bottoms to easy, doesnt absorb any bumps. Youd be better off w/o any suspension on the back, but I went to the AD Boivin ZX2 after I broke a wheel off and mangled a torsion bar. The difference is night and day, I will not buy another yammy w/o changing over to the ZX2 skid! It looks and rides absolutely amazing.

I ride my sled hard as hell. I do bottom out once an a while, but I'm going to get my shocks revalved this summer so that will some to an end. Only changes on my sled are risers and skis. I have my front shocks on 90-100psi (measured when sitting on the floor) and my rear suspension on med. I just did some water skipping this weekend, jumping, dragging, and have no problems. Sled runs great!!!!

I broke one of the rear suspension rails. I do not know when or where this happened, but I mainly ride northern WI groomed highways. I do not jump, am not a snocross wannabe. This is the first time I have EVER broken a suspension. Anyway I traded the sled in. If you do a search or remember me from previous posts, I was extremely unhappy with the rear suspension of this sled. I now have a sled that I havent even touched any settings on yet and am 100 times happier. Im not bashing Yamaha, just my old sled. Maybe I just got a bad one?

all throttle, no bottle!!!

Attachments

• breather.jpg
    breather.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 75
srt20 said:
I broke one of the rear suspension rails. I do not know when or where this happened, but I mainly ride northern WI groomed highways. I do not jump, am not a snocross wannabe. This is the first time I have EVER broken a suspension. Anyway I traded the sled in. If you do a search or remember me from previous posts, I was extremely unhappy with the rear suspension of this sled. I now have a sled that I havent even touched any settings on yet and am 100 times happier. Im not bashing Yamaha, just my old sled. Maybe I just got a bad one?

I'm in the same boat as you. I never broke any suspension parts but I'm not happy with the ride from the rear skid. I'm thinking about swapping an aftermarket skid or a Crossfire skid if I can find one. What did you replace it with - I'm curious.

Back