• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How in Bloody heck do they do this???? Apex pricing!!!

UPsledder said:
Canook. I should have said 4 additional years for a total of 5 years. I paid $450.00 extra for the additional four years of Y.E.S. warranty from Yamaha.
Wow, that's a good deal I got quoted 799.00 for additional 4 years.

RTX Meirda said:
When a company offers a long warranty like Arctic Cat...there is a reason for it.

They "HAD" to offer it on the F7's because of the first two years of poorly built sleds. Many people would not have purchased another F7 after seeing sooooo many problems.

If there is a lack of buyer confidence in a product, then you have to offer a long warranty period to get some extra market share.

If you have confidence in your product, you do not need to offer much warranty.....the consumer will buy it regardless.

Most of the first year F7 problems were bad dealer set-up and early recalls that the owner could do themselves at the beginning of the season. My riding buddy put over 9,000 miles in 2 years on a first year F7 with just a few minor problems ( wear items) and was never left stranded. I put 8,200 miles in 2 years on an '04 F7 and the ONLY thing I did was change slides and carbides once, and lost 1 idler wheel. We also rode with many other F7's that never had problems. Also, many problems were from owners who made F8's out of them, changed timing keys, changed EFI settings, etc. This is not Cats fault. And alot of the problems were internet hype which also created some of this lack in buyer confidence. How many times have we heard of Yamaha problems on the sites such as HCS from people that don't even own one or ride with any? I agree that a 4 year warranty will help if their is a lack of buyer confidence, even though it may not be the sleds fault.

If Cat has so many problems, they would lose too much money offering a 4 year warranty fixing all the problems I 'hear' about. It doesn't make sense to have a 4 yr. warranty just to sell more sleds and then lose it all with warranty claims from poorly built sleds.

I would have liked to have a 4 year warranty on my new Yamaha this year. I really don't see why it would be a big deal for Yamaha to offer it since they never or rarely break. I have a new Attak in the garage and my riding buddy I mentioned above has a new RTX. But we didn't switch to Yamaha because of any problems with our F7's.

edit: I also think we are getting ALOT for our money with these 4-stroke Yamahas.

I have been wondering this question every since the first time I laid eyes on that first RX-1 at Houghton Lake Michigan several years back.

How do they do it? Easy... The 4 cylinder engine came from the crotch rocket program... it was bought and paid for through bike sales long before we even knew about a 4-stroke Yamaha Snowmobile. Parts sharing at it's best! :4STroke:

Tork said:
Somebody please answer this one, please! If a 2 stroke MOTOR costs $1500 in base manufacturing costs to build (just throwing out a guesstimate) than you would think the Yam 4 stroke motor would cost $3200.
More cylinders to cast bore and hone, twice as many pistons, a much more complicated crank shaft that needs to be machined more precisely.
Plus
Instead of just basically a hunk of aluminum for a cylinder head, you have dual cams, 5 valves per cylinder all the drive sprockets, cam followers, springs
Plus
you have a lubrication system, and not just any, it is dry sump like a race car or a Porsche 911
Plus
you have magnesium covers and a titanium header and front end brackets to help offset the additional weight.
Plus
you have a crank speed reduction unit (gear reduction)
plus
you have what, 3 times as many parts for steering, because the steering columns jog around the engine and then back to center

HOW IN BLOODY hell are they selling these 4 strokes at near 2 stroke prices??????????????????

The average guy does not realize how freaking incredible this is!!!!!!!!!!

They use economies of scale. More people use 4-stroke engines, some pieces and parts will even be interchangeable. Motorcycles, quads, snowmobiles, all use 4 stroke engines. They make more engines = cheaper parts, cheaper to make so they can sell them for less. I wouldn't doubt that the 4 stroke costs less to make than the 2 stroke. :ORC

The pricing is very fair when you consider the differences between 2 & 4 strokes...

Yamaha's core competency is engine building... Just like Honda. Therefore, they are able to leverage all the talents they have to design, source parts, and assemble engines. It's simply an economy of scale that is driving the reasonable prices.

At the end of the day, Yamaha sells engines, PERIOD.
Snowmobiles, ATV's, Motorcycles, Boats, etc are just ways to effectively distribute these engines.

We all laugh at the Johnny Skeptical videos, but there is so much truth to them. I am amazed more people haven't jumped ship and moved onto a Yamaha. I think alot has to do with American Pride which I admit is very important. However, denying the foreign competition is very dangerous as it won't go away by ignoring the Japanese design and manufacturing excellence. American Pride would go alot farther if used it to motivate ourselves to be better rather than be stubborn.

Anyhow, none of us suffer from this as we all ride the best snowmobiles today... Yammie!

Now, let me get off my soap box and acknowledge a very importnat detail for our kids (if you have them). When these Deltabox I & II chassis wear out and we move onto the next best sled, where are all these awesome engines going?

THE BIGGEST, BADDEST GO-CARTS ON EARTH!

garserio said:
Now, let me get off my soap box and acknowledge a very importnat detail for our kids (if you have them). When these Deltabox I & II chassis wear out and we move onto the next best sled, where are all these awesome engines going?

THE BIGGEST, BADDEST GO-CARTS ON EARTH!
Not to mention ATVs built for drag racing. You are even now seeing in the mod classes where a lot of people are opting for crotchrocket motors instead of 2-stroke sled motors. The bike motors even in STOCK form make plenty of power and even with turbos and spray are far more reliable than the high-strung, triple-triple sled motors.
As for having a problem with Japanese technology, no problems here. ;)!
Cap'n

Back