• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How it looks looks over functionality

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 yamaha sr viper ltx dx
Its funny my buddies are always complaining that they are cold.
But they choose to run bikini style windshields. Then have to buy a bunch of extra crap to keep warm.
Hand guards or gauntlets.
Super expensive jackets and pants. Top of line. Extra thermal long sleeves.
This is in constant 40 to 50 mile mph trail runs.
About 35 to 60 miles between stops usually about 15f on avg.
I was going to swap out my mid height stock for a smaller one just cuz it does look kinda grandpa-ish. But after the first ride in 10f. I said no way, this is perfect it blocks the wind from my hands. even with 1inch taller riser.
Have not got cold once even in -7f with just a single long sleeve basic shirt and other gear. It even helps with those pesky hand knuckle slashers. Hasn't broke and its taken some branches.
So I ask is functionality more important than how it looks.
I will say the low style windshields look sweet but they are basically worthless for trail riding.
Maybe I'm just getting old but it doesn't make much sense?

Its funny my buddies are always complaining that they are cold.
But they choose to run bikini style windshields. Then have to buy a bunch of extra crap to keep warm.
Hand guards or gauntlets.
Super expensive jackets and pants. Top of line. Extra thermal long sleeves.
This is in constant 40 to 50 mile mph trail runs.
About 35 to 60 miles between stops usually about 15f on avg.
I was going to swap out my mid height stock for a smaller one just cuz it does look kinda grandpa-ish. But after the first ride in 10f. I said no way, this is perfect it blocks the wind from my hands. even with 1inch taller riser.
Have not got cold once even in -7f with just a single long sleeve basic shirt and other gear. It even helps with those pesky hand knuckle slashers. Hasn't broke and its taken some branches.
So I ask is functionality more important than how it looks.
I will say the low style windshields look sweet but they are basically worthless for trail riding.
Maybe I'm just getting old but it doesn't make much sense?

I put a medium height windshield on mine for trail riding, -30C and stayed warm. It’s easy enough to change if I know I’ll be doing harder riding I can switch if I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a medium height windshield on mine for trail riding, -30C and stayed warm. It’s easy enough to change if I know I’ll be doing harder riding I can switch if I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right. For off Trail the smaller the better but on Trail my medium is sooo much more comfortable and they say faster!

While I do have the sport shield, I also have a thermal layer and sweats and have been just fine to 20 below. My rule of thumb tends to be if the sled can start, so can i.

The one that always got me was the guys with motox helmets and goggles at 20 below. I too appreciate the visibility of that helmet style but there's no denying they get colder than hell! Pair that with the tiny windshields and giant risers some guys have and I feel like they are asking for frostbite.

I have the Medium with the hand gaurd notches and it worked great for me this past week when I was taking off at -10*f in the mornings. Kept me plenty warm if I kept the speed reasonable (under 60). Didn’t interfere one bit during boondock sessions either. Cold Air still hits the neck and helmet but it’s easy to manage.

I concur
If your freezing your nuggets off, it doesn’t matter how cool it looks. I’d rather be a warm and toasty dork, than be cool, cold and Joe jock on my race Viper. Lol!

I have the Crosstour one from Arctic Cat with the mirrors. I like being warm but more importantly I like to see the people behind me without having to turn around. I have still hit 172 kph so I don't feel performance is being hampered.

my RTX SE came with the low Red windshield with the goofy cut outs o it. I now have a Crosstour smoked windshield and everybody I ride with thinks my red and white sled looks better with that then the low red one. never go back to the low one. Actually is anybody want a low red one its yours for $30 plus shipping

Back