• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How much effort is it to change a track?

It is a fairly easy job. I have done this about 4 times on mine with reverse. the best thing to do is get the servise manual to help with the parts. If you have a good memory and can keep the parts in order you should not have too much of a problem.
I reccomend removing the entire chain case. This makes removing and installing the track cogs and drive shaft much easier. you dont have to do anything with the oposite side bearing because there are 2 set screws on the inside of the tunnel holding the drive shaft that can be loosened to remove the drive shaft.
If you can get the service manual it will be easier.

I concur:

It's not bad at all. Depending on how many miles you have, you may want to consider buying new bearings, and skid components (bushings etc...) It's a very opportune time to go through the under-side of your sled, while you have everything broke-down. Just remember to take your time, and pay attention to what you are doing, and which way you take things out because you can accidentally put a sprocket in backward, which will cause your track to lock up. Right Snowman269? ( I doubt he's paying attention???)

A tip that was passed on to me by a very qualified mechanic, when you go to tighten the locking collar on the clutch-side, lightly tighten it finger-tight and then spin the track several revolutions. Then tighten it using the tool.

You can also print off the parts assembly diagram from Yamaha as a guide, it's free.

It's not hard at all to do. Have the suspension out. Drain chaincase oil; disconnect reverse linkage; remove brakes; remove cover, chain, and gears. Remove tach pickup on other side of the sled and collar holding bearing (remove to secondary to make this easier). There are 2 torques screws holding on the bearing on that side which will have to be loosened and the bearing removed. Back to the other side remove the back half of the chaincase. Slide the drivers all the way to one side, and they should be able to tip down and out.

I think that's it. I've done it many times by myself.

First time always takes the longest. I change my track according to what I am going to ride. (Racing, trails, drags etc) I can do it my self in about 2hrs. ;)!

The two of you should be able to do it fairly quick. Especially if you print the instructions from the yamaha service manual CD rom or from their web site. It took me 1 day to remove stock 151" tunnel extension and track and 1 day to instal new 162" tunnel extension, rail extensions, 162" track, remove stock drive sprokets and press on extros along with hyfax replacement while the skid was out. This was all done with hand tools, if you use a compressor and air tools it should take you less time to disassemble than me.

The secondary comes off easily. Just do like Monker said. Now on a more serious note (something I forgot to mention). Did any off you guys that swapped a track have the same experience as me? When I pulled the chain case apart the nut (the one that is supposed to take the special socket) on the drive shaft was less than finger tight :shock: . It's a good thing I got I got in there when I did. ;)!

I made sure to put some locktight on the nut when installing and waited 24 hrs before adding chain case oil and running the sled. Wasn't sure if vibration caused the nut to work loose or if it just was tightened from the factory and don't wan't it to work loose again. My sled has a little over 2000 miles on it. On a plus side all my bearings were in great shape with no rust.

Back