• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to fix picks hitting rear Heat Exchanger

aceltx09

Expert
First of all your dealer should have set sled up for your weight, if the track was picked he should have put a little extra tension on spring. This is going to be a big problem with rear heat exchangers and picks. My sled was brand new and I took it to 2 different dealers one replaced rear shock that wasn't bad and the other told me to leave remote adjust on stiff and I would be all set.(after having it for a week and not being able to figure it out) At about 250 miles, the H.E. was so bad I couldn't sleep anymore, I bought a new one installed it. When I had the sled apart I added to the existing rails. (This can be done with the sled all together and a small right angle drill) Home Depot has what you will need, for less than $20. I bought 1in. square aluminum and 1/8in. flat aluminum. Attached square to the flat with rivets 3/16 and then riveted the flat piece to the existing rail I extended the flat piece about 2 1/2in. in front and back of exchanger and put 5 rivets on each side. Also if you take your spanner tool and crank the spring tension in you probably won't have a problem at all. Only reason I added the protection was incase the ride was to stiff. If you need a quick fix just crank it in 3-5 times and you should be all set. The other problem is that when the rip junk track hits the tunnel protector it bends a little and that allows picks to come up even further. You can see what I'm talking about by bending it with your finger It should be stiff and not flex. Or maybe I just got a junk track. Ive done 300 miles since the repair and I'm so happy with the sled, unbelievable ride. Unfortunatly Yamaha sucks to deal with wouldn't even go halfs with me on the heat exchanger, said I would pay for labor they supply new one nothing they suck. Seriously 200 miles on sled and this all happened. :yam:

I had a similar problem with our 2010 vector ltxs. I added marine starboad (approx. 9/16) to the rail (approx 12") I heated it to bend with the rail and then I riveted it to the rail. Last weekend in Pittsburg the trails went to hell and it got rough. We nicked the rear heat exchanger again and I had to set the suspension on hard for the remainder of the weeked. The problem was that my wife hit a huge hole due to low light and poor contrast and it sent her flying from her sled. Fortunately both my wife and her sled are ok. Could you post a few pictures of your set up. It sounds more affective than mine and I hate riding around wondering if I am going to rip into my exchanger. Thanks
dj

aceltx09 said:
Unfortunatly Yamaha sucks to deal with wouldn't even go halfs with me on the heat exchanger, said I would pay for labor they supply new one nothing they suck. Seriously 200 miles on sled and this all happened. :yam:

Why should Yamaha have paid for damage to the sled from studs? I'm curious to the reasoning on this.

You'll need 1 1/2 in total over the fins or you'll hit.

Why should they not pay for the damage when there shock failed (this is what the dealer told me was the cause, and they replaced it) at less than 200miles. Say what you want about studs if your a agressive trail rider studs are a must.Without them you slide all over the place slide 10ft before you come to a stop. Besides the dealer installed them never set the sled up for my weight. $9500.00 and in 200miles I have to replace a $400.00 part. According to them the reason for damage was the shock failing if it didn't fail the heat exchanger would be fine

Sounds like you should be upset at the people that pick'd your track. Stud damage is 100% not Yamaha's problem, regardless of whether an actual manufacturing defect caused the studs to do damage or not. Sorry but it's true. Maybe your selling dealer could have given you a discount on the part?

I understand what you are saying. But a brand new sled had a bad shock with less than 200 miles on it they should have compensated me in some way. I already hadproblems with dealer I bought it from, told them to pick 144 up middle and they did a full pattern,got sled home after 2 hour drive and wouldn't go into reverse to take off trailer, so we already were not on good terms by the time I had this happen.

my 2 cents. fight it all you want, you will just get more pissed. if stuff breaks y.e.s covers it. if you or the dealer alter the machine in anyway from stock, yamaha now has grounds to not honour the warranty. been there, done it. i added an extra wheel kit, rails cracked (not even close to wheel kit) the fight was unreal to get warranty. many other stories... anyways.
if you stud the track it will hit the cooler. even with suspension cranked you will hit if you are aggressive enough. yamaha know this. your fight is with your dealer & yourself.... personally i would move on. it's not worth it. you still have one of the best machines going !

yamadog07 said:
yep, 1.5" over studs, had to do mine 2 times before i got it right.

Maybe you were the one who posted that to get me to go that far. I ended up the first time with 1 1/4 in and it did well for a while then at some point in the season I must have hit good and scratched the fins. I added to 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 and now it's fine.

Back