• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to "soften" the ride?

Silver4

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2013 RST90D Venture 973 cc carbs
As a 2-up sled, my 2013 RS Venture has been be all around set to "firm" I've seen vague instructions about how to back off the shocks but would really appreciate "instructions for dummies" version pointing out the whereabouts of parts involved and tools if possible. Thanks!

Last edited:

Look for the triangle adjuster blocks on the rear arm. These have a soft, med, hard setting. Check to see what this is set to and adjust as needed.

In the middle of the rail there is what I will call a 2 up block. White plastic block that can be flipped up when ridding 2 up and flipped down when riding solo. If this is flipped up it stiffens the preload on the spring.

hibshman25 is correct on the torsion springs.

i also adjusted the front skid shock on my brothers 13 by loosening it until the spring was stiff to turn by hand with the rear of the sled off the ground and then tighten the jam nut.

i would then check that the front shocks are adjusted so that the a arms are almost parallel to the ground.

to adjust the shocks i mentioned, you need to loosen the lock/jam nut 1st. i usually use a hammer and punch. i then set the spring tension/height i want with a shock wrench that is usually in the tool kit on the sled. it can be done by hand or with a hammer and punch if nessasary. once set, i then tighten the jam/lock nut with the hammer and punch.

this is how i had brothers 13 venture gt set and did put some hours on it solo myself and it rode pretty well.

As a 2-up sled my 2013 Venture must be all around set to "firm" I've seen vague instructions about how to back off the shocks but would really appreciate "instructions for dummies" version pointing out the whereabouts of parts involved and tools if possible. Thanks!
Look for the triangle adjuster blocks on the rear arm. These have a soft, med, hard setting. Check to see what this is set to and adjust as needed.

In the middle of the rail there is what I will call a 2 up block. White plastic block that can be flipped up when ridding 2 up and flipped down when riding solo. If this is flipped up it stiffens the preload on the spring.
Thank you both. One question hibshman25, What tools or how does one turn the
1) "triangle adjuster on rear arm and
2) white plastic block that needs to be flipped up?

The sled is cold and snowy now having gone for a bumpy ride last week so I dont want to be forcing things that could break with completely the wrong tools. Thanks!

there is usually a wrench in the tool kit that comes with the sled to do this.

the triangle adjuster can be done with an adjustable wrench. done it trail side before.

Will a 2013 Apex XTX have the....In the middle of the rail there is what I will call a 2 up block. White plastic block that can be flipped up when riding 2 up and flipped down when riding solo. If this is flipped up it stiffens the preload on the spring.???

This is a friend's sled that he just got.

that would have been added from a rs venture as i was going to do it to my 11.

Back