• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How well does the shorty Nytro go off trail?

Nitrousman1

Expert
I'm trying to decide what to buy for next year and I was hoping someone can tell me if the short track Nytro does as good as a REV off trail? My current REV goes through just about anything in Michigan when I go off trail with a 1.25" Ripsaw track on it. I don't really think I want to go with the XTX due to the extra weight so I think for now I'll keep my interest in the Shorty Nytro RTX SE and my other choices are the XP 800r or XR 1200 both on the X package. Thanks.

Been der dun dat this weekend. we had waist deep powder. Rode with a bud on his 08 800 doo shortie. His was working very well in the powder while my nytro with a cobra track was trenching but still getting thru. I was surprised how well my nytro did but it kinda submarines & chainsaws thru the snow while the doo,s get on top & float over it.

I am dissapointed in the slydog trail skiis for deep snow riding.Prbably gonna go back to simmons on my 09 xtx.

I'd recommend going with 6" wide skis as the stock ones knife in and don't provide enough floatation. The Nytro's deep tunnel is a detriment in deep snow. The rear of the tunnel drags and slows you down. Most every other sled uses a tapered tunnel that provides more clearance. The stock 1.25 also spins a lot in powder. The Nytro gets around but it is more at home on trails or harder packed snow. I like the deep tunnel for trail use but I've really noticed it drag in wet powder. IMO, the 121 Nytro probably has the worst deep snow runnability of any modern sled.

AKrider said:
I'd recommend going with 6" wide skis as the stock ones knife in and don't provide enough floatation. The Nytro's deep tunnel is a detriment in deep snow. The rear of the tunnel drags and slows you down. Most every other sled uses a tapered tunnel that provides more clearance. The stock 1.25 also spins a lot in powder. The Nytro gets around but it is more at home on trails or harder packed snow. I like the deep tunnel for trail use but I've really noticed it drag in wet powder. IMO, the 121 Nytro probably has the worst deep snow runnability of any modern sled.

Well that's not what I was hoping to hear. With the new tapered tunnel do you think it will make a big difference in its off trail ability or is the track approach angle to steep?

Powder skis are a must if you are going to go off trail. The 1.25 ripsaw is not very good off the trail. If you don't change these 2 things you will get stuck much more than you want. I put powder skis and a 144x1.75 backcountry track on and now the thing rocks.

Nitrousman1 said:
Well that's not what I was hoping to hear. With the new tapered tunnel do you think it will make a big difference in its off trail ability or is the track approach angle to steep?

Yes, the new tunnel will make the sled more capable in deep snow. Right now, my short track Vector is better in the powder just because of the tunnel design. If you do a lot of off trail riding then I'd go with a 1.5" deep track. I like the Ripsaw for trails as it hooks up very well. In powder it doesn't perform as well as a paddle track.

I forgot to add also. the tunnel really drags in the deep snow. you can actually feel it slowing down the sled as it,s allmost like riding with the brakes on sometimes.

The short track Nytro goes off trail pretty well, but the better question is; how well does it get back ON the trail?

Despite how this looks, the sled pulled out of this thigh-deep snow without much effort. However, once I got out of this, I stayed out.

Attachments

• IMG_3229.JPG
    IMG_3229.JPG
    520.6 KB · Views: 283
arteeex said:
The short track Nytro goes off trail pretty well, but the better question is; how well does it get back ON the trail?

Despite how this looks, the sled pulled out of this thigh-deep snow without much effort. However, once I got out of this, I stayed out.

That picture there shows exactly what happens with the the stock skis in deep snow. One of the skis will dig down and you are screwed.

If you like the best of both worlds, go with the XTX for sure. That model has a less agressive approach angle, and the rail design will allow you to perform well in all conditions.
I ordered an XTX, and will be replacing the track with a 1 3/4, and adding better skis.

Nate, if you do the 1.75" track you realize it will push like a 144 as the effectiveness of the tipped rails will be lost with the deeper lug.

Back