• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane secondary intercooler

KnappAttack

24X ISR World Drag Racing Champion
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2023 Sidewinder LTX-LE
2017 Sidewinder LTX-LE
I haven't sold any of these yet and just wondering if anyone here is running one and how its working?

How are you getting air to it and thru it if you are running one? I know it sits under the headlight area and just wondering how you can get cool air to it and hot air away from the bottom side of it. Seems like it would be real tough to make the air get in there, impossible if you don't vent the hood somehow. I know it wouldn't pay to put it in with ducting fresh air to it and the hot air away from it with the hot underhhood temps. Using the stock intercooler the big tunes heat the intake up stupid FAST!

I've talked with people who have just done a 3" core up front in place of the stock cooler and they said they wasted $1K on it, that it still runs hot intake temps. Some say they dropped 20*F, so does not sound like even at 20*F drop in temps is the way to go really either.

The MCX huge curved intercooler looks like it would be the best for cooler intake temps, but I've no idea the cost or how to even get my hands on one or if they'd even sell it separately from their turbo kits.

Maybe we just need a bigger turbo rather than the puny stock turbo and beating up and overheating the intake air.

I have one and its good for up to 40 degrees. No extra venting. Same day place and time running along side my brothers winder. I have water meth injection on my car and it works great. I want to put it on my winder but I know no one is doing it. You can knock up to 100 degrees off intake temps.

I have one and its good for up to 40 degrees. No extra venting. Same day place and time running along side my brothers winder. I have water meth injection on my car and it works great. I want to put it on my winder but I know no one is doing it. You can knock up to 100 degrees off intake temps.

How can it drop temps if you don't vent for it?

I've put a temp gauge under the hood and see 100F temps under there. That would actually warm the intake without venting. What kind of intake temps do you typically see after a hard pull on the big tune?

On a 20 to 25 degree day I see temps around 50 to 60 degrees. The intercooler can be at a lower temp than the under hood temps. It has air going through it off boost than can be as low as outside temps. So it can pull heat out of boosted air until it all heats up. Bottom line is mine runs cooler intake temps than my brothers under the same conditions. A good water meth injection costs the same as a intercooler. Having both would give you lower temps than the outside air. That would make it run!

My car is a 2013 Ford Focus ST. It has a 2.3 engine with forged crank, rods, and pistons with a bigger turbo. It also has a Cobb tuner that has 4 maps in it. A non boost map, a no water meth map, a 24lbs of boost with water meth injection map and a 28lbs boost map with water meth injection. The water meth injection is a additional fuel source as the stock system runs out, it raises octane, and cools the intake charge temps. It cleans the valves on a direct injection engine and save the valve cleaning issures. The car can run more ing timing with a safety margin, and more boost before knock sets in. Its what gets my car to 400hp. I wounder why no one has not put one on a winder yet? The powder boys doing hill climbing could use it the most! Trail riding I am not seeing that much heat but it would still run better with it. If you could get it to hook up!

The hurricane secondary cooler makes a difference for sure, take the panel out between the two screens in the front and open up behind the stock intercooler. On ice a buddy ran one with a mountain hood and in 1500 feet at 30lb boost his IATs would rise 10 degrees.

On a 20 to 25 degree day I see temps around 50 to 60 degrees. The intercooler can be at a lower temp than the under hood temps. It has air going through it off boost than can be as low as outside temps. So it can pull heat out of boosted air until it all heats up. Bottom line is mine runs cooler intake temps than my brothers under the same conditions. A good water meth injection costs the same as a intercooler. Having both would give you lower temps than the outside air. That would make it run!

What air intake temperature are you seeing when going steady at 80mph down the trail on a 25°f day?
Also what tune are you running at that time?

The hurricane secondary cooler makes a difference for sure, take the panel out between the two screens in the front and open up behind the stock intercooler. On ice a buddy ran one with a mountain hood and in 1500 feet at 30lb boost his IATs would rise 10 degrees.

10*F rise would be fantastic! In just one blast of the throttle in 30* ambient I get around a 70* rise just using the stock cooler on the big tune, although I get way less rise in colder temps. We don't always get cold temps with the global warming anymore! 45*F here today!

I would think a person could use a louver from say a 7000 Cat or a Viper and get better airflow to the secondary cooler, but the cooler sits far higher and above where the louver would be. It would actually sit right below where the headlight area is.

I'd hate to take that front panel out and expose that whole front nose to snow ingestion on a trail sled! Many times we run in deep snow that would fill the whole nose up. Actually, I find the best cooling of the stock intercooler in just these conditions! Of course the sled needs to be brought in at night to be thawed out so it doesn't become and actual iceberg and do nothing, but best is if the intercooler is pummeled with fresh powder snow and acts as a snow to air exchanger rather than air to air intercooler.

If you are running in new snow you very soon have a ice barrier in front of the stock cooler. Its getting no air at that point.

If you are running in new snow you very soon have a ice barrier in front of the stock cooler. Its getting no air at that point.

Agree, but it seems to work better in the powder snow than having just air going thru it, until it turns into a block of ice and the fresh snow can no longer get to it. I've run all day like that for say 150 miles and had better luck in the powder snow than having air going thru it! It seems to take one whole day for it to turn to an actual iceberg where the snow can no longer get to it.

I find it best to have no grill whatsoever in front of it whether in the air or in the snow.

C301499A-75BF-40AB-A2A9-9D24A2C6F988.jpeg

Last edited:
With this getting blocked off with snow and ice will this cause the machine to not reach peak rpms and run like a normal sled without the turbo?

With this getting blocked off with snow and ice will this cause the machine to not reach peak rpms and run like a normal sled without the turbo?
No,it will increase your IAT internal air temps only,but that rise in temps can effect HP,but not that drastic,that it will lose 50 hp.

Air Intake Temps will remain cold while the snow and ice contact the cooling fins. Problem arises when a small air pocket develops between the cooler and the ice, then the AIT will rise.

This intercooler is next on my list to try!!! Once I get one I will drill holes in the panel behind stock intercooler to increase air flow and figure out where to add venting below the headlight for additional venting for the secondary cooler (Hopefully moflow has something to fit on top for a clean look)
Right now I have moflow vent in behind spindles and vents at my knees

This intercooler is next on my list to try!!! Once I get one I will drill holes in the panel behind stock intercooler to increase air flow and figure out where to add venting below the headlight for additional venting for the secondary cooler (Hopefully moflow has something to fit on top for a clean look)
Right now I have moflow vent in behind spindles and vents at my knees

A few frog skins in the panel above the cooler would allow alot of air in

Back