• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hygear Air Control Cans for Floats sold my sled

TurboJamie

TY 4 Stroke God
A heads up if anyone wants a deal on a set of hygear air control cans for the fx nytro rtx I have a set.

mods feel free to delete this I just figured most nytro owner would be interested in these and may not see them in the classifieds.

They definately help the front end stability of the 08 nytro. I was able to get it to corner flatter with them installed. They are not a WOW amazing improvement, but an improvement forsure.

Compared to the stock valving, adding these remote can reduces the harshness of the stock valving.

????

I am a little confused :o| Do they work/attach to the existing Fox system? I went on the Hygear site, and I saw three set ups ranging from about $500-$1300. What exactley, or what set up is this? Sorry about the confusion. Just wanted to see exactly what it is, and how it works. Thanks for the help

To put it simply, it is very similar to a piggy-back oil resevoir. Except this is an empty can filled with air. It adds to the volume of air that the fox float is riding on.

This is how it works:
A normal spring compresses with a linear rate of force ... such as 70lbs/in. This means that for every inch of compression, another 70lbs of force needs to be applied.
The Fox Float is filled with air to act as the spring. Since it is air, the amount of force needed to compress the shock increase with every inch of compression ... for comparison sake against the spring, after the first inch, it will take more that 70lbs to compress the next inch ... and so on. The rate increases at an exponential rate.

For most people the rate at which this force increases ramps up too fast not allowing full use of the travel. The by adding air volume to the chamber, the rate at which the force increases is greatly reduced. This still allows the shock to have a great resistance to bottoming, but softens out the ride for slower/cruising speeds.

Hygear's setup is very nice. They have an air control valve on their system that allows one to adjust the flow rate of air between the chambers .... kinda acts like a compression/rebound dampining adjuster. But, .... you pay for this.

Muffin Works has a setup for this as well. Our system has all the same great benefits for ride quality, but we don't have a flow adjuster. Our system is a remote-mounted can, with a stainless steel line. This keeps our costs down, and allows us to offer a great price. It is very simple to install, as it hooks into the existing air valve.

Our website offers a bit more explanation on how the system works. See our website for details.

gade-thrasher, do you have any pics of your resevoirs installed on a nytro. I see on the site it says you can mount them where you see fit. I would just like to see some ideas where they could be mounted. Thanks.

I used them on my Apex last year, with the Apex Valving, which is what Hygear changes the Nytro to (at least close to) you get the WOW effect. Much much better. I liked the Floats before, I loved them after, definently softens the ride over the smaller stuff. I would say that it gives you "Soft Spring" like action but also provides the bottoming resistance that the Floats are known for. I was able to increase the pressures from 60 psi to around 75 and still maintain a soft ride, so if your looking to increase ground clearance but maintain the softer ride quality they are worth it. If you pretty much stick to smooth trails probably not worth the upgrade. It's simply a canister to increase the volume of the air chamber. Simple physics at work, increase volume and the compression factor decreases. I like Gades because they can be mounted anywhere, which I suppose you could do by getting a braided hose for the Hygear ones as well. I never really messed with the valve, just left it wide open.

towerrigger said:
gade-thrasher, do you have any pics of your resevoirs installed on a nytro. I see on the site it says you can mount them where you see fit. I would just like to see some ideas where they could be mounted. Thanks.

We did a custom mount in the nose of an '06 Nytro .. pics can be seen in our Custom Work page. Otherwise, you can check out the threads on the TY build sled. Tom had mounted them on the a-arm.

Thanks for the update... Gade Thrasher also sells cans if anyone is looking for additional air chamber since Jamie sold his.

Gade.... if Im reading this right you then add the air in t hrough your canister and all the hoses remain intact?

Kevin Garceau said:
Gade.... if Im reading this right you then add the air in t hrough your canister and all the hoses remain intact?

Yep that's right. With our system, you remove the stock air valve, and attach our air hose. You then add air to the entire system through the air valve that is mounted to the cans.

Back