• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hygear shock rebuild question?

RC Apex

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 yamaha apex gt
Im going to be sending my shocks for my 07 apex gt to hygear to get rebuilt soon... any suggested upgrades to add such as dual rate spring,revalving etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would talk to Ross at Hygear. I have dealt with him for years . They do a very good job. You can talk to him about where you ride and your riding style and budget.
I have an 07 attack gt and have the twisted front springs on axis shocks on the front and dual rate spring on the mono shock , and it works very well.

I got the dual rate pro spring for my rear shock on my GT many years ago. I agree, works very well.

Dual rate springs on all 3.
Fill out the form on-line with weight, set up & riding style. Be detailed. They have TONS of data on these things.
They used to have different levels of packages, but i think the Sport up front & Pro in back is the way to go.

Had my 06 done years ago, and a big improvement in bottoming. Small adjustments make a real difference. Great job by Hygear.

2021-03-04 20.30.15.jpg

Guess I'm gonna have to be the one to disagree. Is Hygear's calibration better than stock? Yes. But the rear suspension on those GT's I have never REALLY liked. One of the reason's that you see n hear guys talk about swapping them out. The Apex rear suspension when re-calibrated is OK I guess when ridden on smooth trails. When the trails get rough (as they usually do) that's when the rear suspension show's its age and narrow range of operation. The rougher the trail, the worse they become.
Personally if it were me, I'd spend the money to have the rear shock rebuilt and re-valved for maybe 15-20% more compression damping. And add an Ohlins 6.1 spring which is what I did. That's about the best your gonna get IMO. I really don't think the improvement of their twin spring rear shock is worth the expense. Had it, and removed it.

In fact I still have it. Will sell it to ya cheap!

Can't comment on their front shock re-builds since I went to an aftermarket front shock setup on mine instead.

I agree, the greatest shocks ever made can only make this rear suspension OK at best.
BUT, the HYGEAR dual rate springs is the best he'll get the shocks to at least get it to it's full potential.

If RC was happy before, then just get rebuild's with some calibrations.
The dual rate springs are able to make a "plush" ride without bottoming out & give more adjustability with the between spring collar.

I agree, the greatest shocks ever made can only make this rear suspension OK at best.
BUT, the HYGEAR dual rate springs is the best he'll get the shocks to at least get it to it's full potential.

If RC was happy before, then just get rebuild's with some calibrations.
The dual rate springs are able to make a "plush" ride without bottoming out & give more adjustability with the between spring collar.

My apex spent most of its life on tug hill.
The dual rate Hygear works as good as the monoshock lets it, meaning we beat the hell out of it and it works..but NEVER G OUTS! The stutters, normal mogul garbage by Saturday afternoon, etc arent a problem...hate em, but that's life. Is it as comfortable as the sidewinder? No, but it works pretty darn good with a wrp seat, etc....faster you go the better it works. But...big dips again, well...lol.

Im going to be sending my shocks for my 07 apex gt to hygear to get rebuilt soon... any suggested upgrades to add such as dual rate spring,revalving etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have Hygear dual rate springs on all my shocks on both Vectors . This improvement alone has changed my mind on selling these sleds . I have a 17 #*$&@ doo 1200 with QS3 shocks so I get to make a direct comparison . I find the biggest difference is the weight in the front end . I'm guessing the Vectors carry about 60# more . I found some Hygear remote reservoir shocks with Hi/Lo compression and rebound . had them rebuilt and installed there dual rate springs. It's about 125% improvement . In the rear I had Hygear add a reservoir with compression and a dual rate spring and I can say it rides awesome. These options can get expensive but I did them over a few years . Both of my sleds have raised seats and risers on the handle bars .

I can't come on here and tell you it beats the R-motion because it does not ! But two weeks ago my 1200 blew the rollers in the Secondary and left me stranded . the next day pulled out my wife Vector and proceeded to put 205 miles of fast paced riding . After keeping up with my brothers 1200 for the whole day I came to the conclusion I'm never selling my Yamaha's ...

I have Hygear dual rate springs on all my shocks on both Vectors . This improvement alone has changed my mind on selling these sleds . I have a 17 #*$&@ doo 1200 with QS3 shocks so I get to make a direct comparison . I find the biggest difference is the weight in the front end . I'm guessing the Vectors carry about 60# more . I found some Hygear remote reservoir shocks with Hi/Lo compression and rebound . had them rebuilt and installed there dual rate springs. It's about 125% improvement . In the rear I had Hygear add a reservoir with compression and a dual rate spring and I can say it rides awesome. These options can get expensive but I did them over a few years . Both of my sleds have raised seats and risers on the handle bars .

I can't come on here and tell you it beats the R-motion because it does not ! But two weeks ago my 1200 blew the rollers in the Secondary and left me stranded . the next day pulled out my wife Vector and proceeded to put 205 miles of fast paced riding . After keeping up with my brothers 1200 for the whole day I came to the conclusion I'm never selling my Yamaha's ...
What's the deal with BRP secondary rollers? An old friend called me and said his renegade left him stranded...secondary rollers destroyed...hmm.

Good Point.
The WRP seat made a HUGE difference!
Yes, it does!
Just got back from tug hill...dam....somethings never change...mogul friggin heaven by 3pm...nasty, deep, frozen and sugar snow...sidewinder did well.
Actually saw quite a few sidewinders, and many apexs and vectors, and vipers. Nowhere nears as many as the cookie cutter doos, or pooper poos, but a good percentage for that part of the world. One guy had a supercharged apex and 300hp sidewinder, and a 2021 gray and orange winder....a few asked how I liked mine. The few guys I talked to today on other sleds wants one, or loves thiers. I mentioned cat dna issues, but they don't seem to care. One ride is all it apparently takes to get the wallet out. Tug Hill is NOT yamaha country...wierd...

What's the deal with BRP secondary rollers? An old friend called me and said his renegade left him stranded...secondary rollers destroyed...hmm.
I guess I didn't know much about it until it happened. There are 2 rollers in there secondary . Yamaha uses buttons and can be replaced in mins. I bought the sled used but in excellent condition . It performed awesome for about 300 miles LOL ! to replace the rollers you need about $150.00 worth of special tools and secondary is attached to the Jack shaft . Not something you can do in the woods. I'm just lucky I brought the wife's Vector.
This is a short video explaining the process.

I HATE working on Ski-doo clutches. PITA

Back