• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

"I grip" screw in studs

mrsled has them in a few sleds.

I am installing these in my 1 3/4 backcountry track this year for some extra traction on icy hills and trails, also where I have the factory tunnel protectors i'm thinking i will not need more protection than that with these screw in type studs if I need any, but good to put that out there for some advice.

Thanks for the reply's, do you think they are heavy enough to damage a heat exchanger if they do come out?

The heat exchangers can take some abuse but i'm thinking these type of screw in studs are fairly level with the track lug like the ice ripper tracks and should not cause to much trouble, you probably wouldn't notice if any flew out till you thoroughly checked the track, maybe somebody could chime in that has more experience with these studs and tell us if they had any problems with the igrip studs rubbing the heat exchangers or puncturing them.

I don't think they will come out without taking the lug with it.
The ones I used are 29mm long and the screw portion is 6.7mm in diameter.
I'm returning to regular studs since I run 250-285 all the time and need more traction obviously.
But if you are just wanting a bit more grip nothing wrong with Igrips.

Thanks, may just be a cheaper alternative to replacing track, new one only has 800 miles on it, just looking for a little more traction in icy corners and hills.............

I don't think they will come out without taking the lug with it.
The ones I used are 29mm long and the screw portion is 6.7mm in diameter.
I'm returning to regular studs since I run 250-285 all the time and need more traction obviously.
But if you are just wanting a bit more grip nothing wrong with Igrips.
Note, I have only used them on a track that already had the holes in the lugs.

I put them in the wifes sled last year, put on about 1,200 miles and they look great yet

depends on the track you put them in. they need some meat to stay put. the track on my sidewinder has some very solid spots but also many spots that are very soft and flimsy. I put them in last year and allot of them held up fine but also lost more then a few. over all I think they are a great product and they gave me the little extra grip I was looking for to keep the track behind the skis. If I had the old ripsaw 1 track I think I would have not lost any of them because everyone in a solid part of the track is still intact. as for harming the heat exchangers when they come out that would be very hard for that to happen they would have to come off like a rocket in a up swing of the track and fly straight like an arrow and not hit anything but the heat exchanger with enough force to puncture it. the odds are so far against this happening better chance or a sharp rock doing this then an I grip.

I am installing these in my 1 3/4 backcountry track this year for some extra traction on icy hills and trails, also where I have the factory tunnel protectors i'm thinking i will not need more protection than that with these screw in type studs if I need any, but good to put that out there for some advice.
I'm curious which model your going with, Just picked up a Backcountry X for my Viper. I see the 24R and 25R used most commonly on taller tracks, the main difference being the the 25R being a bigger diameter.

I'm curious which model your going with, Just picked up a Backcountry X for my Viper. I see the 24R and 25R used most commonly on taller tracks, the main difference being the the 25R being a bigger diameter.
I'm going with the 24R, this is what Igrip recommended for my track when I talked with them, they were very helpful

Back