• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I just have to VENT!! Towed by F7

rhoag

Expert
Was anyone riding near Gran Maria today to see the F7 towing my GT for 40 miles? This sled is a piece of #*$&@!! This sled has been on 5 trips this year and has had a problem all but 1. Now today the jackshaft bearing went and seized up then broke the chain. What else can go wrong with this thing?? I hear people are having problems with the track rubbing, so I know mine will have that problem too. I am seriously considering trying to sell this thing and try again with a different sled (Yamaha or other). I really am brand loyal, but this sled is really making me question my loyalty. Being towed by an f7 for 40 miles is the most embarassing thing that could happen to a loyal Yami guy!!

Happens to all of us no matter what we ride. Take it for service and all will be good. I'm sure you will get the chance soon to tow your buds F7. Only a matter of time.

We all have been at the end of that tow rope one time or another, good luck gettin her stiched back together.

Keep The Faith!

;)!

You know the real problem is this is the second trip 200 miles one way by truck that has been ruined by my sled breaking down. $10,000 dollars for a sled that won't complete a 2 day ride without a problem. We have had a trip for next weekend planned for over a month. I have a nitro demo sled reserved from my dealer, for my wife to ride(her one ride a year with me). We were supposed to leave Thursday. I doubt my sled will be fixed by then. Our winter is to short to waste even one weekend, let alone two of them ruined by my sled braking down.

I towed a new Firecat home that got 10 miles on it before breaking down. It happens to everyone.

rhoag said:
You know the real problem is this is the second trip 200 miles one way by truck that has been ruined by my sled breaking down. $10,000 dollars for a sled that won't complete a 2 day ride without a problem. We have had a trip for next weekend planned for over a month. I have a nitro demo sled reserved from my dealer, for my wife to ride(her one ride a year with me). We were supposed to leave Thursday. I doubt my sled will be fixed by then. Our winter is to short to waste even one weekend, let alone two of them ruined by my sled braking down.
Yes i understand your frustration,it sucks i was towed once this year,but that was my fault,but the jackshaft bearings should not have failed in 200-500 miles,this is almost as bad as a motor failure just because of the low miles on it,now if you said you had 2,000 miles that would be one thing.. :Rockon: #$%&*

Chain broke he said.

Sucks man but Yamaha is #1 sounds like you got a bad one.

Skydog

Jackshaft bearings better last more than 2000 miles too - that is a joke if they can't - my RX is at the 2000 mile point and If my jackshaft bearings go like the rear suspension did - This thing is gonne get burned to the ground!

RHOAG

If it makes you feel any better... i have 1700 miles on my apex gt and havnt had a single problem.that would leave me stranded . NO BROKEN BOGGYS , NO BREAK DOWNS... Just flawless performance.. (except the broken shock wire that will be replaced for free)

You dealer will cover it.. Just a few bugs to work out..

Come on guys, at least admit the 06's have had an unusual amount of problems for Yamaha. My first trip I spent the a good part of 2 days stopping to put snow on the running boards and letting the thing cool down fro (overheating warning light coming on.) For the most part the problems have been small but there still have been too many for what we are used to from Yamaha.

I haven't torn the sled down so I don't know exactly what went wrong. I think it lost a seal, thus oil, thus bearing seize, thus chain break. The secondary spins free so I know the chain is toast. The track will turn. That's all I have to go on. My frustration is that you loose valiable riding time, and you are inconvenienced when your sled breaks. I was out at 10 oclock last night transfering the heavy beast from one trailer to another, so my friend could take his trailer and sled home and I could get mine to the dealer. Then I will have to take time off work to take it to the dealer this morning etc etc..... I never had a problem with my 05 RX1 not a single hick up. So far this year on the first trip, a one day blast 2 hours north to ride 90 miles come home (no problem). Second trip trailer 200 miles to the UP 100 miles into the first day both back wheels gone, snow conditions were marginal and I didn't want to burn threw my hyfax into the rails, so I didn't ride the second day. Next trip a one day trip 2 hours north, notice all 4 of the front wheels are warped and out of round. Next trip 2 1/2 hours north for the weekend (one of the front wheels feel off because it wasn't torqued properly). Then this weeekend 200 miles north to the UP, morning of the second day toast. But, this doesn't include stuff that I caught that may have caused problems like 100% antifreeze and not filled to the proper level (from factory) I duluted the mixyure with water wetter. During maintenance noticed the belt was riding 5 mm down in the secondary so I shimmed it. Yes minor things, but not what you would expect from Yamaha #1 and #2 from a 10,000 sled. A person should be able to set the suspension up for there weight and style, change oil and ride. I am very disapointed in this sled and the build quality. I do realize that there are alot of them out there that have had zero issues. So what happened to mine, why is mine a piece of $hit? I guess the next question is since the dealer will have it torn apart. Is there any benefit to re-gearing?

rhoag said:
I haven't torn the sled down so I don't know exactly what went wrong. I think it lost a seal, thus oil, thus bearing seize, thus chain break. The secondary spins free so I know the chain is toast. The track will turn. That's all I have to go on. My frustration is that you loose valiable riding time, and you are inconvenienced when your sled breaks. I was out at 10 oclock last night transfering the heavy beast from one trailer to another, so my friend could take his trailer and sled home and I could get mine to the dealer. Then I will have to take time off work to take it to the dealer this morning etc etc..... I never had a problem with my 05 RX1 not a single hick up. So far this year on the first trip, a one day blast 2 hours north to ride 90 miles come home (no problem). Second trip trailer 200 miles to the UP 100 miles into the first day both back wheels gone, snow conditions were marginal and I didn't want to burn threw my hyfax into the rails, so I didn't ride the second day. Next trip a one day trip 2 hours north, notice all 4 of the front wheels are warped and out of round. Next trip 2 1/2 hours north for the weekend (one of the front wheels feel off because it wasn't torqued properly). Then this weeekend 200 miles north to the UP, morning of the second day toast. But, this doesn't include stuff that I caught that may have caused problems like 100% antifreeze and not filled to the proper level (from factory) I duluted the mixyure with water wetter. During maintenance noticed the belt was riding 5 mm down in the secondary so I shimmed it. Yes minor things, but not what you would expect from Yamaha #1 and #2 from a 10,000 sled. A person should be able to set the suspension up for there weight and style, change oil and ride. I am very disapointed in this sled and the build quality. I do realize that there are alot of them out there that have had zero issues. So what happened to mine, why is mine a piece of $hit? I guess the next question is since the dealer will have it torn apart. Is there any benefit to re-gearing?

Sounds like you have a lemon.

the one thing I'll say is There are a lot of Guy that bought the GT that are pounding them like they were an RTX or an Attack. If you ride hard through the Moguls the GT was the wrong sled in my book.

I haven't put many miles on my Attack but I can tell you it is the finest snowmobile I've ever owned or ridden. I put 50 miles on my wifes SX500 this past weekend so my brother could ride my attack instead of the old 500. When I got back on my Attack i couldn't believe how different it really is from the old sleds.

It flat out rocks!!!!

I ride hard everywhere during day and no drinks, but my problems aren't bent tunnel, or blown shock etc... they seem to be poor manufacturing/QA. I do agree that the RTX owners don't seem to be experiencing as many problems as GT owners. I know two RTX owners that haven't even had a problem with there wheels and they ride the same trail systems I ride. So I don't know what the dif is? You would think that the sleds are made on the same line just a few different parts that day, but for the most part 90% of the parts are the same on the GT and the RTX. I took the sled to the dealer as soon as they opened this morning and I know they will take care of me and my sled. I hope they will give me their demo GT for the weekend if mine isn't done. Now I wish I would have wrote down my suspension settings, since mine was almost there for a trail carver (still to much inside ski lift). I'll have to stop by and count clicks on everything. Like the thread says venting. I'm sure my anger will dissipate in a day or two, but my dissappointment in this sled will take a few good rides. You guys know the question you get often "So how do like you GT?" If someone asks me that question i'm afraid I will have to tell them the motor is awesome, ride is great, handling is well ok, but it has proven to be the most unreliable sled I have ever owned" All I can say is next time I need riding gear I am buying brand nuetral gear!!!

Back