• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

i need tunnel protectors for my new rear heat exchanger

A buddy of mine added a rear cooler to his Attak last year and he used 2 short pieces of hyfax for his protector. He just extended them from his factory protectors.

Works great and it was cheap!

I would like an honest, objective, non-sensational, factual as possible answer to this question about the additional tunnel protectors. I look at my LTX GT and I'm having a very hard time imagining how I could possibly hit the rear heat exchanger. I have an '09, I'm 177 lbs without gear, and maybe 185 fully suited. I set my rear shock to 42 MM sag-in, which equated to about 1 1/2 turns to the increased pre-load side. I intentionally wanted it stiffer to avoid bottoming out. I have about 5 inches of clearance between the track/studs and rear exchanger, when sitting on it.

Really - what is the probability I could bottom this out to the extent necessary to hit the exchanger with a stud? I'd say about 10% if I'd hit a rear big mogul at full speed. I will put in additional protection if necessary - no problem, but I wonder if it's wasted effort? TIA.

Fusion your exact sled is sitting at my dealer with Heat Exchanger damage from studs, didn't penetrate it but sure made a mess. It was enough for me to be concerned with even an Ice ripper XT Track, I will be watching it closely!

Cobalt

If you added a rear cooler you will NEED to add protrectors to keep from getting damaged. You can use some box tubing and space it dowm from the original ones and run it all the way back and bolt to the back of the sled. I spaced mine down at least 1 inch below the stock ones.
I first tried the plastic ones and they just pushed up and scratched mine up pretty good. Hope this helps some.

Rich

You'll need protectors and they'll have to give 1 1/2 in protection along face of cooler..If you don't you'll hit..
Search this forum for Rear cooler, etc. lot's and lot's of pictures and info.
That's how I learned. I only had 1 in as I didn't believe I'd hit with the stud. I did..lucky me it didn't wipe it out. others have had it hit as well.

You'll need protectors and they'll have to give 1 1/2 in protection along face of cooler..If you don't you'll hit..
Search this forum for Rear cooler, etc. lot's and lot's of pictures and info.
That's how I learned. I only had 1 in as I didn't believe I'd hit with the stud. I did..lucky me it didn't wipe it out. others have had it hit as well.
You'll have to add old sliders or make your own from Home Depot Aluminum stock..pic's are in past posts.

Cheaper to make your own.. The ones Yami sells goes all the way up front so you have to take the sled apart.
If you leave the originals on and make new ones to join in with them it will only cost you $10 or so.
You'll still have to add more protection from Yami's as they don't give you the 1 1/2 you'll need with studs.
The lugs on the Attak tracks are soft so they bend easy allowing the stud to penatrate more then others. Thats why you need 1 1/2 in to be sure..
I'm a big guy 275lbs and the extra protection doesn't bother the sled. If you hit hard just once you'll rip open the cooler with out protection. Better to hit the protectors only.

Capt Caper, yes I'm making my own. I just talked to the dealer and they do not have a specific Yamaha part number for the '09's. He suggested what I've heard and read, just use hyfax cut to length needed and rivet in place. This is what I will do. Wish I had some old hyfax laying around but I don't so I'll have to shell out for one new one and cut it up.

No way I'd want to replace the existing tunnel protection entirely on my own even if there was a part available.

Most of us here used Home Depot Aluminum bar stock and sq tube to fabricate ours. I added a slider after I realized 1 in wasn't enough.

Back