• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ice scratchers mounting

yamadog07

Expert
anybody advise location they mounted thier ice sratchers. the coiled spring type that mount to bottom of running boards & fold up into clip.
reason i ask is the instructions show them being mounted far forward. this means bolts would be impossible to get to under the angled foot rest. it would also affect putting my machine on it's stand. do they work o.k if mounted just behind the foot rest ? which would be almost middle of skid ?

I'm thinking about buying scratchers for RX-1, any advantage to using the skid mounted ones or the running board mounted type? What about Yamadog's question above?

mine are mounted where the angled foot plate is rivited to the tunnel. i took a piece of checkerplate about 2x6 and used that on top for strength. use a "j" hook at the back to hold them up, better than the plates they send in the kit. the spray will catch the back of the track and be thrown around to the exchangers and slides, keeping things cool. just dont back up with them down.

I'm running the ones for the rails. But I mounted them on the skis. I just used a longer bolt.

Attachments

• t_skis_179.jpg
    t_skis_179.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 730
Carefull guys.........installing scatchers under your running boards / foot rests may cause problems?? I was going to install a pair here until I saw buddy's machine. The running boards cracked around the scratcher attachment bolts. Looked like a spider web, going to be hard to repair.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=15

Go to page 2 of this thread and see Daranello's post.

This is the way I did my Apex and there is no way these things are gonna crack my floor boards where I mounted them...Im an aircraft mechanic/supervisor so Ive seen lots of structural cracks in my time, lol.

I tied mine into one of the main braces by drilling out a rivet or two and putting bolts/nylock nuts through the mounts.

It turned out very stout and will last forever I have no doubt...Ive had them on there a couple seasons now and they have held up great and kick up a hell of a lotta snow!

Ive done the ski mounted ones too...didnt get as much cooling effect.

I like this set up so well that I just bought a set to install on my girlfriends 03 Polaris RMK I just bought her.

Only draw back is I can only seem to find them through Royal Distributing in Canada...takes a little longer for shipping.

Oh, and the vibration? I hardly notice it...maybe on occasion, but that just re-assures me that they are down and doing their job of cooling/lubing.

Very happy with this set up. ;)!

I have run with these down for over 300kms and no issues. The other sleds were melting sliders and the suspensions were dry. Mine was full of ice crystals and dripping lots of water. Conditions were pretty much glare ice. I bent them in towards the rail and the snow shoots up inside the track. Next time I use them I will get pics of the suspensions and you will see how much snow the put inside.

yamahas said:
^ Where did you get those from?

If your asking about mine, they are Kimpex universals. Around $25.00.

Just bought the same pair at Royal for $70, thanks Canada!

yamahas said:
sx7001 said:
yamahas said:
^ Where did you get those from?

If your asking about mine, they are Kimpex universals. Around $25.00.

Where did you get them for 25 bucks? cant go wrong with what price.

North Bay Cycle here in NB.

The hardware that comes with then is junk. I used all stainless bolts and put stainless flat washers under the heads for extra support. I check them often to make sure there tight.

I read the location wrong, just assumed that $25 was in the US. Now I really feel like I got robbed!

Back