• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ice scratchers mounting

sx7001 said:
I have run with these down for over 300kms and no issues. The other sleds were melting sliders and the suspensions were dry. Mine was full of ice crystals and dripping lots of water. Conditions were pretty much glare ice. I bent them in towards the rail and the snow shoots up inside the track. Next time I use them I will get pics of the suspensions and you will see how much snow the put inside.

Hey..Im not trying to be an #*$&@ here, but if you would have mounted the scratcher in your picture on the opposite side of the sled and vice-versa, you wouldnt have needed that radical bend in the spring to get the scratchers tip closer to the track.

I have the same set up and thats how I did mine...just trying to be helpful.

Vincenthdfan said:
sx7001 said:
I have run with these down for over 300kms and no issues. The other sleds were melting sliders and the suspensions were dry. Mine was full of ice crystals and dripping lots of water. Conditions were pretty much glare ice. I bent them in towards the rail and the snow shoots up inside the track. Next time I use them I will get pics of the suspensions and you will see how much snow the put inside.

Hey..Im not trying to be an #*$&@ here, but if you would have mounted the scratcher in your picture on the opposite side of the sled and vice-versa, you wouldnt have needed that radical bend in the spring to get the scratchers tip closer to the track.

I looked at both ways and thought there wasn't room to clear the cooler with the spring holder at the back end. I did it the same as SX7001 and I'm going to add a plate next year because I can tell there is too much force on the running board when the spring is retracted.

Frosty, I like your set up, but how do they work there? Your youtube is in ideal snow conditions and this doesn't demonstrate anything.

Ran 14 miles of glare ice with the running board mounted type ice scratchers, two machines, ATTAK and VECTOR LTX w/rear heat exchangers. No hyfax sticking or overheating. Rails were coated with ice/slush at every stop

On the same trip there was a VECTOR w/rear heat exchanger and with "ski" mounted ice scratchers, it overheated 3 times w/no hyfax sticking due to oversize idler wheels. Rails were void of any ice/slush

The VECTOR LTX did however snap one scratcher off about 5" up from the tip on this trip. Only thing I can conclude is when you you hit a sizeable bump the running boards raise up and the scratcher becomes verticle , thus when coming down it overloads the scratcher . Any way, I had to by a new set of scratchers due to the springs are not available seperately.

YammyRX1 said:
Vincenthdfan said:
sx7001 said:

I looked at both ways and thought there wasn't room to clear the cooler with the spring holder at the back end. I did it the same as SX7001 and I'm going to add a plate next year because I can tell there is too much force on the running board when the spring is retracted.

Yeah, they do indeed cause some flex in the retracted position...thats why I tied mine into the bracing...that helped tremendously.

I also bent the stowage tabs at an angle to reduce the amount of stress placed on the springs as well.

They still stay in the stowed position with no problems, yet fit like a glove in the upright position.

Like I said earlier...Ive been so happy with them I just bought another set for my girlfriends Polaris, Im convinced this style is the way to go.

Vector Julie said:
Ran 14 miles of glare ice with the running board mounted type ice scratchers, two machines, ATTAK and VECTOR LTX w/rear heat exchangers. No hyfax sticking or overheating. Rails were coated with ice/slush at every stop

On the same trip there was a VECTOR w/rear heat exchanger and with "ski" mounted ice scratchers, it overheated 3 times w/no hyfax sticking due to oversize idler wheels. Rails were void of any ice/slush

The VECTOR LTX did however snap one scratcher off about 5" up from the tip on this trip. Only thing I can conclude is when you you hit a sizeable bump the running boards raise up and the scratcher becomes verticle , thus when coming down it overloads the scratcher . Any way, I had to by a new set of scratchers due to the springs are not available seperately.

Good point about it breaking when comming back down. I think when I get my scratchers i will rig up some sort of "Limiter strap" to limit how far down it can go to avoid mine from breaking since i am offen in the air with my phazer.

I put mine right at the front of the running boards and had to cut out a piece out of the plastic cover to clear the scratcher bracket underneath. I figured the further forward the more snow that would get into the skid. We did about 120 miles today on hard packed trails. ice and roads and there is very little slider wear. Seems to be working.

Essarex said:
Frosty, I like your set up, but how do they work there? Your youtube is in ideal snow conditions and this doesn't demonstrate anything.

Were just getting into spring riding now so i'll try to make another vid on some crusty trail. They work great and add a lot of spray to the entire skid,,,not just the back half .

yamahas said:
Vector Julie said:

Good point about it breaking when comming back down. I think when I get my scratchers i will rig up some sort of "Limiter strap" to limit how far down it can go to avoid mine from breaking since i am offen in the air with my phazer.

Was just thinking the same thing, good idea ;)!

Back