• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Iced up suspension surfaces.

BrianI

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha RS Viking Professional
Hello. I have a 2015 VK Professional I purchased this year. I've noticed the ice buildup in the rear of the tunnel everyone talks about from the under-tunnel exhaust heat. This doesn't seem to be a big deal as the recommended carrying a rubber hammer seems to work well. What I am concerned with is the excessive amount of snow that seems to accumulate and stick to the rear suspension component surfaces. The snow often hardens into huge blocks of ice that cover all of the surfaces but seem to center more towards the last 2/3s of the suspension. I'm concerned that riding in this condition can break something. The snow/ice is not easily cleaned like the rear tunnel icing. This is the first liquid cooled machine I've owned. I've never had this problem with fan cooled machines. 1) is this normal for the VK Professional? 2) Is this caused by the under-tunnel exhaust outlet or is this a liquid cooled machine phenomena? 3). Would the exhaust rerouting kit help very much with this problem (is the kit worth installing to prevent suspension & under-tunnel icing)? Thank you for any advice given:)

i get ice and snow on all my sled suspension rails air cooled or liquid. it is worse when i play offtrail or am breaking trail, never mind slush. i take ice/snow on the rails as a sign that the slider plastic is not too hot as when it gets hot, it heats up the rails so no ice sticks. i always bounce my suspension in the morning when i have been powder riding to make sure it can cycle and it usually will remove the rest on its own during the day. if it is really bad, i use a hammer or axe to remove the bulk of it.

as long as the track and wheels spin it will purge the majority of it as the suspension cycles in my experiance.

image.jpeg
Good day! I have the VK Pro ii 2016. I installed the exhaust mod kit, no problem with ice build up in tunnel or on suspension ran her at -38 to -3 outside temp and no issue. You can see the mod in picture.

i get ice and snow on all my sled suspension rails air cooled or liquid. it is worse when i play offtrail or am breaking trail, never mind slush. i take ice/snow on the rails as a sign that the slider plastic is not too hot as when it gets hot, it heats up the rails so no ice sticks. i always bounce my suspension in the morning when i have been powder riding to make sure it can cycle and it usually will remove the rest on its own during the day. if it is really bad, i use a hammer or axe to remove the bulk of it.

as long as the track and wheels spin it will purge the majority of it as the suspension cycles in my experiance.

What ie the exhaust mod kit. Can this be installed on any of the machines with rear exhaust. Cost & is it hard to install.

You can order the exhaust mod kit on the Yamaha site. I ordered it and had my dealer install. It isn't really a DIY kinda of installation, it's not expensive, it does work well. Had it out yesterday ( yes it is June but I'm in Nunavur) in some pretty slushie ice and very wet snow, no issues.

Thank you for the replies guys. Does the exhaust mod kit come with a completely new muffler or just piping mods? Also does the kit have 2 exhaust outlets out the rear side of the snowmobile or just 1?

Thank you for the replies guys. Does the exhaust mod kit come with a completely new muffler or just piping mods? Also does the kit have 2 exhaust outlets out the rear side of the snowmobile or just 1?
The MOD kit comes out on both sides. It comes with the piping mods only. 2 exhaust outlets. I will take a picture later and send you. Possibly tommorow, its at the shop right now for the 1000km warranty check.

The MOD kit comes out on both sides. It comes with the piping mods only. 2 exhaust outlets. I will take a picture later and send you. Possibly tommorow, its at the shop right now for the 1000km warranty check.

Could you also send me a picture of the set-up & what was the cost of the Mod kit & labor to install it. What is the part no. for the Mod kit
Thank's
Rich

I installed this kit on my 2006 pro. It helped with ice build up but was not a complete fix. Too much heat in the tunnel area for pipes and muffler. I carry an old axe handle under the seat for knocking ice off. My primary concern was making sure the two large wheels and two small upper wheel were free to turn. I never had any suspension breaks due to ice buildup. I think the kit was around $260 cad. I put it on my self and was not bad. Has good instructions and includes pipe cutting template. I changed the exhaust donuts at the same time and good thing because they were shot.

Back