• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Initial 2016 VK Pro ii review

On above post....please forgive
Went to the cabin and overnighted., -38 without a windchill. Windshield still frosts up and is basically useless driving with visibility. Anyone else having this issue? Tried drilling two holes quarter inch diameter to get heat from engine onto the windshield below the dash, but seems to be worse or no better than before! Any suggestions?

VK Pro ii 4 stroke sat at the cabin Saturday afternoon fron 3 p.m. To 10a.m. Sunday morning. Without wind chill factor......it was -38.6 !! Generator would not start so couldn't plug it in. Crossed fingers and used the NAPA purchased power pak,to turn it over ........ it started!!! Breathed big sigh of relief. In this cold the suspension hard,, compared to my doo 550f. Rev Xp platform. But gas mileage and brute strength, huge pluses, warm sled to drive. 380 Km's mostly sea ice travel and marginal snow in -30 degree weather without windchill. Windshield heat from engine underhood and side cents near top if hood culprits fir frosting over windshield. Taped up one side vent near- closest to windshield and little difference made.
th

image.jpeg
Well folks I'm back!! The spring is here and the VK Pro 2016 has Been getting a work out. The sled is running good. Gas mileage is where it should be 18mpg estimate. Power to pull very evident attaching picture from today of pulling homemade 3-4inch plywood boat approx 500 pounds + gear no problem. Smell of gas sometimes worrisome. Overall fine sled, good workout to drive. My fox and wolf traps still out till May 1st.,Here ........ so a few weeks left yet in our season.

Hitting 650km's on sled. Pro's can pull anything basically. It is a warm sled to drive. Starts good, battery blanket and black heater a must under -30! Pros...continued.... Lots of storage under seat and in rack. Gauges well placed and work well! Cons.... Not a sled for a novice. Needs real body language to drive. Extra wide 11" skins help with tippyness but not needed. Agressieve carbides help and adjust front suspension both sides to setting 3rd notch works for me (170lbs). Strap adjust to your usual load, mine didn't need much. Windshield fogs over....ices up below -25 it seems, pain in the #*$&@ working on solution. Overall..very pleased with sled.:ban::yam:

January 2018---after 13 months 1400km's as the proud owner of the 2016 VKPro ii. Observations as follows.

1. Great Sled 2. Heavy. 3. Warm 4. Can pull almost anything! 5. Peppy/not slow or sluggish. 6. Mod exhaust kit well worth it! 7. Steering gets easier as sled is broken in. 8. Wide Skins take the tipsiness away. 9. icefilm on windshield bothersome. 10. gas fumes smell annoying. I would rate the sled a 7 out of 10. Stay tuned for more in depth review after 2000km's.

Hey Chateaupitsie, good to see your post. I've sold the Bravo and am going to get a VK Pro ll. Keeping the MP. I have a question about the exhaust mod that you have.
I guess it is the Yamaha exhaust turnout that you have. What exactly does it do? Does it route the exhaust up out of the tunnel, under the passengers seat and out the side? Thanks.

In regards the frosty windshield. I have a couple things to try based on the theory the frosting is due to warm moist air coming up out of the hood. One is a little rustic. It is to wrap the steering column loosely with a plastic garbage bag. It might really slow down the warm air and I can't see it screwing anything up because it would stretch/tear. The second is to open up a small vent in the bottom of the windshield that would blow across the steering post hole.

Looking forward to more posts and photos. We finally got some cold weather here but almost no snow.

Yulon MP. Yes will try the low tec garbage bag appro
Hey Chateaupitsie, good to see your post. I've sold the Bravo and am going to get a VK Pro ll. Keeping the MP. I have a question about the exhaust mod that you have.
I guess it is the Yamaha exhaust turnout that you have. What exactly does it do? Does it route the exhaust up out of the tunnel, under the passengers seat and out the side? Thanks.

In regards the frosty windshield. I have a couple things to try based on the theory the frosting is due to warm moist air coming up out of the hood. One is a little rustic. It is to wrap the steering column loosely with a plastic garbage bag. It might really slow down the warm air and I can't see it screwing anything up because it would stretch/tear. The second is to open up a small vent in the bottom of the windshield that would blow across the steering post hole.

Looking forward to more posts and photos. We finally got some cold weather here but almost no snow.

Yukon MP the mod for exhaust was bought on the Yammie site. It directs the exhaust from the tunnel out the sides of the seat. Works very well. Have had no issue with ice in the tunnel with the mod on. Wider ski skins helped on tipsiness but once you get used to it/ it is not so bad...not scary at all. The windshield. I did drill a 3/16th hole on both sides on the dash. It didn't help. . The issue maybe the cowling around the windshield from hood is not sealed well. that is next step to review. Overall good utilitarian sled. I would like to try the power steering. My 2016 did not come with that option. The 2017 and later have it. Am looking to see if there is a mod available or if it is even worth it. Just another thing to go wrong?? Not sure!! Will post pictures later. The VK or ACE 900 best in class for these work sleds either one you cant go wrong.

Went to the cabin and overnighted., -38 without a windchill. Windshield still frosts up and is basically useless driving with visibility. Anyone else having this issue? Tried drilling two holes quarter inch diameter to get heat from engine onto the windshield below the dash, but seems to be worse or no better than before! Any suggestions?

VK Pro ii 4 stroke sat at the cabin Saturday afternoon fron 3 p.m. To 10a.m. Sunday morning. Without wind chill factor......it was -38.6 !! Generator would not start so couldn't plug it in. Crossed fingers and used the NAPA purchased power pak,to turn it over ........ it started!!! Breathed big sigh of relief. In this cold the suspension hard,, compared to my doo 550f. Rev Xp platform. But gas mileage and brute strength, huge pluses, warm sled to drive. 380 Km's mostly sea ice travel and marginal snow in -30 degree weather without windchill. Windshield heat from engine underhood and side cents near top if hood culprits fir frosting over windshield. Taped up one side vent near- closest to windshield and little difference made.

Very familiar with your situation. There is a simple but pain-in-the-@&$ solution to the VK’s windshield steaming up and then frosting over.
During any frosty, cold temperatured or moist air with snow falling ride to our cabin, anytime we stop along the way, my father will lift the hood of his VK professional so as not to allow heat to rise up inside the windshield. Is it a fix? No. But in enables him to travel the 54km ride to our cabin with a clear windshield. I know this isn’t a fix per say but it does work.

My problem however is, I have the same problem in same weather conditions only having the 2016 Yamaha Venture TF I don’t have the luxury of a tilt forward hood. And I’m not about to remove body panels every time I stop on the trail to chat etc. However, after taking a closer look, I’m convinced that on my style of sled it isn’t so much as heat escaping from the engine that streams my windshield but instead the heat/steam created from my hot headlights. I’m going to try LED bulbs in my Venture and see if that makes a difference. They won’t generate heat like a common headlight bulb so I think it’s worth a try.

Thank you for the advice. I will give that a try. In this part of Baffin Island there is a dearth of snow so far this winter so it has been rough going! The VK Pro has hand elde it well..no serious complaints !!

January 2018---after 13 months 1400km's as the proud owner of the 2016 VKPro ii. Observations as follows.

1. Great Sled 2. Heavy. 3. Warm 4. Can pull almost anything! 5. Peppy/not slow or sluggish. 6. Mod exhaust kit well worth it! 7. Steering gets easier as sled is broken in. 8. Wide Skins take the tipsiness away. 9. icefilm on windshield bothersome. 10. gas fumes smell annoying. I would rate the sled a 7 out of 10. Stay tuned for more in depth review after 2000km's.

About the gas fumes, do you try and fill the tank with as much gas as it can take?
My father does this with his VK Pro even to the extent that he removes the white plastic collar inside the fill cap.
If you fill the tank higher than the bottom of that removable collar gas will leak out of your tanks air vent.
Filled right to the rim it can even spill out enough to cover your belly pan and foot boards with gas.
I’ll also add, my father has owned the VK pro’s since they were released. He is on his 3rd one now, not because he needs to replace them but trades them in at around 42,000-45,000 kms to at least get the price of taxes taken off of the new one.
They are heavy, he is 65 years old approx 220 lbs and has no problem handling the VK in deep snow conditions because he swears by the fact his is equipped with a left-handed throttle. (Goldfinger) in his case.
If you have to stand on the left side runner to correct out of tipping in deep snow, which is going to happen. As soon as you reach over to the throttle on the right side, you’ve just put all your weight back on the very side you are trying to lift up on.
With the added left-hand throttle you can stand on the left side, pull on the handlebar grab-bar and use the throttle all at the same time as your body lean.
Being that my father uses his VK for getting to the cabin, breaking in wood paths and towing logs with a skidder he’s had his share of stuck moments and this handy accessory has abled him to avoid countless of those “going to get stuck” moments.

Sounds like the gas issue is from the vent as you describe. I will adjust filling and see if it makes a difference, good idea!! On the throttle very interesting adaptation!!

It is now 2020 and 2 seasons with the 2016 VK Pro 11. The 2 year update is a big thumbs up on the VKPro11. It takes a while to get used to the utilitarian aspects and handling characteristics of this sled, but it is solid and....heavy. It does generate a warm ride and it can tow anything! On the downside the handling and rough ride leaves a lot to be desired compared to the Doo's 900 ACE Expeditions and
Renegades. Minor quirks and eccentricities of the sled make it unique. Would I buy another one/.....not sure. Will put another 1000 km's on it this winter for sure and update in the spring. It has been cold on the trail this season so far. Not much snow - so hoping February and March change that. I guess this is the new norm here in the |Eastern Arctic . Winter brings the usual pretty well normal temps but less precipitation/snow.

Thanks for the update, your posts and review helped me decide to spring order my 2020 VK Pro II. I just spent the day on a bison hunt with two 900ACE SWTs. I too think the others were getting a smoother ride. I swapped for a while and have to say their throttle is much less responsive making maneuvering easier. There is no question the VK will tow more and is a more comfortable(when the bumps aren't too bad) and warmer sled.
The EPS is easier but not a huge difference. My MP's steering seems very hard compared to the VK but the Skandics weren't that bad.

I put over 700kms on mine in -40ish temps and had hardly any windshield frosting which I remember was a concern of yours.

Thanks for the update, your posts and review helped me decide to spring order my 2020 VK Pro II. I just spent the day on a bison hunt with two 900ACE SWTs. I too think the others were getting a smoother ride. I swapped for a while and have to say their throttle is much less responsive making maneuvering easier. There is no question the VK will tow more and is a more comfortable(when the bumps aren't too bad) and warmer sled.
The EPS is easier but not a huge difference. My MP's steering seems very hard compared to the VK but the Skandics weren't that bad.

I put over 700kms on mine in -40ish temps and had hardly any windshield frosting which I remember was a concern of yours.

I wondered how the EPS worked. Yes, congrats on the purchase idea!!!! I keep my 550 doo grand touring (2010) as a a back up sled, Two stroke always starts and the Rev platform is good. The VK 2 Pro is a very good sled. Here where the snow is frozen hard the ride can be a bit much but overall I would suggest 7 stars out of 10 for durability, fit, finish and ride. Plus the warm storage under the seat is a huge Bonus!

Back