• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Intermittent starter problems

yukolix

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 VK Professional
I have intermittent starting problems with my 2007 VK professional. Typically it starts fine at the beginning of a day out. After riding the sled and stopping the engine and having the sled sit for half an hour or more and I turn the ignition the starter just spins and doesn’t engage. All I can do is turning the ignition switch on and off repeatedly and hope the starter engages and turns the engine over. So far it always started eventually. Any thoughts or hints on how to troubleshoot? Thanks!

This is going on for about two weeks now. I searched the forum for posts with the same problem and found some info but are no smarter.

sounds like the one way clutch is not grabbing when it is hot. have you tried turning the motor a bit by the primary clutch so it is in a different spot when it does this? might only be bad in 3 spots.

Thanks for your help. I haven’t tried that. I’ll try it tomorrow.

Also I’ve now found some post that changing to a different engine oil can cause slipping. I just changed the oil to Shell Rotella T6 0W-40. Maybe another possibility.

Rotella is as HD Diesel engine oil but I use w/o any problems it for since years in all my gas and Diesel engines.

Any recommendations for a good engine oil for the VK in cold climate, operating in weather down to -40 C?

there was something about not using energy conserving synthetic car oils in them back in the mid 2000's. might be fixed by now but not certain when it happened.

i am using yamalube 0w40 synthetic in the 2011 apex xtx and i will start it and ride it at -40 c no problem without using any heaters/charger/booster. brothers buddy was using same oil in his 2010 rs venture out in the bush at -40 c and he could get it started without but preferred to use his boost pack as it cranked better at that temp and started easyer but it was efi too.

Any recommendations for a good engine oil for the VK in cold climate, operating in weather down to -40 C?

Maim is right IMO regards the energy conserving motor oils. Canadian Tire carries Mobil 1 0w-40 Synthetic European Formula and that is what I use. Stock up when it goes on sale for 1/2 price. I think that will straighten out your starter.

Just wanted to give an update and thank Maim and YukonMP for their advice.
I changed the engine oil to Yamalube 0W-40 (YukonMP: I know Mobile 1 is a fine oil but I didn’t want to take any changes with a 3rd party oil at this point). So far so good. Looks like it might do the trick. It starts fine now and I will monitor/test it for a few more days before heading out on my bison hunt.

Maim is right IMO regards the energy conserving motor oils. Canadian Tire carries Mobil 1 0w-40 Synthetic European Formula and that is what I use. Stock up when it goes on sale for 1/2 price. I think that will straighten out your starter.
I had an entire shopping cart full of it as well as penzoil 0w30. All under $7 liter.

Just wanted to give an update and thank Maim and YukonMP for their advice.
I changed the engine oil to Yamalube 0W-40 (YukonMP: I know Mobile 1 is a fine oil but I didn’t want to take any changes with a 3rd party oil at this point). So far so good. Looks like it might do the trick. It starts fine I will monitor/test it for a few more days before heading out on my bison hunt.

With Covid it sounds like there are more guys bison hunting than are left in town. Sure is good weather although the ice isn't what I'd wish it to be. Good luck, next month for me.

Update. The starter clutch started acted up again last week and finally stopped working at all on Sunday. So I pulled the clutch assembly apart and found it was worn, I need a new one-way clutch and idler wheel. The pulling apart was quite straight forward. Now I’m waiting for parts.

9887D290-E8D4-4455-9BEB-382AFD1A467E.jpeg
D15F60DD-2A61-4AF5-A091-F373709549FF.jpeg

Back