• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is Apex mono-shock revalve necessary?

scherbs

Veteran
Website
home.comcast.net
I see a lot of info about revalving the rear mono-shock for us heavier riders and to prevent bottoming out for aggresive riding or rough trails. Doesnt the spring carry the riders and machines weight, as well as absorb the impact of that weight when hitting a bump? The job of the shock I thought was to simply dampen the action of the spring so it does not continue to bounce and bounce isnt it? I always thought the heavier the rider or more aggresive the rider, then the heavier the spring. The shock should have a balance in proportion to the strength of the spring. Are the factory adjustments we make at the switch on the handlebars not enough compensation when the spring is changed?

Yes it is necessary if you add the heavier spring..

The 5.5 spring over powers the stock shock dampening capabilities and makes it useless.. the shock will not slow down the movent of the spring and therefore will cause the sled to BUCK when pushed hard..

It all depends on how hard you ride.. if you are not aggresive, dont worry about it, if you are, get the spring and the revalve..

You can see the diff between the 4.9 and 5.5lb. it is a heavier coil or bigger diameter wire, and like Welt said, one go's with the other.

scherbs

I have the big boy spring and did not revalve, I suppose it would be better but mine rides great so better yes, necessary probably not.

I was taught to think of suspensions as the spring sets the ride hieght and the rate of comprssion and rebound is the job of the shock not very denpendent on the spring.

Yamadoo

I'm 250 without gear. Last year I put on the heavy spring, I think it was the 6.6. The shock was valved a little higher to compensate. Well not enough. It was much better than before but still not even close. On big hits it would jack my spine and on the big rollers it would bottom on every one. Not a safe way to ride. It was quite frankly scary as hell. This year I've decided to go with hygear and see if all the money is worth it. It better be. However I do think that Pioneer can do what most need and would require (obviously for less $$$). I just figured with the added adjustability I couldn't be disapointed. We'll see.
Also if you don't need the weight transfer, reduce the amount on the rod close to min and the bottoming will greatly reduce, as stated you pay a price but it will help if a temp solution (back-packing or extra weight n sled) is needed.

I guess the reason I ask is that I sent my shock directly to Ohlins after speaking to them. They thought they might be able to do the swap to a heavier spring n/c since the dealer should have set that up to my rider weight at the time of sale. They did install a spring for my weight {300lbs with gear} but stated it would not need a revalve. I offered to pay extra for the revalve and he said that it should not be neccessary. I would hate to have to pull the shock back out and play around with it, so I guess I will ride it this winter and see first.

Back