• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is it normal for my apex to have a little "hickup"

shanksyamaha

TY 4 Stroke Guru
My sled runs great, Id say it runs perfect 99% of the time.. but sometimes when I chop the throttle from around 0-1/8 throttle to WOT, It has a little hickup as it accelerates. Is this normal???

Its not like its lean or rich or anything, it just seams that Im asking too much of it for it to go from 2000-2500 RPM right to 10,600 instantly and it has a momentary studder or for lack of a better term "hickup".

Its all stock accept cr10ek plugs and studs. Is this something I can adjust??

Its done this since I got it with 380 miles on it, It has 1050 now and it has not gotten any better or worse. The sled sat for 2 seasons before I got it but I ran sea foam through it for the first 3 tanks of gas. Starts and runs perfect accept for this little "hickup" Can I iron it out???

you can go into the just off idle fuel map of the sled, referred to as the "CO's" and richen your mixture that shld take care of the bog. Its a process you do by grounding a wire in the main harness connector (grey in color) above the clutch cover. Then you raise the CO's thru your instrument pod.
I can't get you a link tfor this procedure, cuz im surfing on my phone rite now. Do a search on here for CO enrichment and you'll find the process. Better yet, you can find the directions on Ulmer Racings website.

Go like 10 or 15 points higher once you get into adjustment mode and see if that takes care of the problem.

Hinkman said:
My sled did the same thing with cr10ek plugs. Once I took them out it went away.
My 07 apexgt did not do this last year,but now this year it it starting to do the same thing,only change is the dragon fly weights,and i even had them in late last year,it is a bog for sure,its right at engagement,if you were trying to hook up hard to race someone,and it does it more when cold,when warmed up sometimes its ok,but other times still does it,and i am all stock except for 23 gear and clutching with 2400 miles on it.

Never heard of the "paperclip trick" whats this all about?? I'll check out Ulmers site and see if I can figure out what you guys are talking about.. Im a little lost right now...

Mine did this one EARLY season,....that was after the SPRING storage where i FOGGED the motor with fogging oil.....it took an entire tankful of fuel to CURE itself....ran like poop but then it was gone after a day.

if you happend to fog your motor just run it awhile.

paperclip trick is something Ulmer has on his airbox mod instructions...allows you to add fuel to low speed. might help.

i have never had issues with the cr10 plugs yet.

Dan

Well I have put 700 miles on the sled this year and its still doing it. Its nothing serious. Its so suddle that I don't think too many people would even feel it. It only seams to do it when I chop the throttle from almost zero to 3/4 or full. If Im running at over 1/4 and hit it, it dosn't seam to do it. And its not all the time.

shanksyamaha said:
Well I have put 700 miles on the sled this year and its still doing it. Its nothing serious. Its so suddle that I don't think too many people would even feel it. It only seams to do it when I chop the throttle from almost zero to 3/4 or full. If Im running at over 1/4 and hit it, it dosn't seam to do it. And its not all the time.

yep thats it.....do this clip trick to fix.

dan

Excellent!! I got the instructions and printed em. Im gunna take a paperclip with me on my next ride and try and adjust this on the trail so I can feel any differences right away.

THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE!!!!!!!

Im a member in lots of forum sites and this one is by far the best site for help because of its members.

Shanks, let me know what # you are bringing it up to. I am experiencing the same on my machine. I just did RockerDan's air box lid and I need to richen mine up a bit. there seems to be a flat spot/bog with mine too.
I'm assuming 0 is the starting point on all cyl.? Maybe go up to 10? thanks Doug

I figured I'd go up to 10 and try that.

I just remembered I have one intake boot that is not tight. I had forgotten all about it but when I did my plug change I had the airbox ou and I didn't have a 4mm allen wrench long enough to reach one of the boots. Im on my way to watch Disney on Ice with the fam today and Im gunna stop and get a long set of allen wrenches and tighten that up when I get home. Then tomorrow Im planning a 100 mile ride so I will see if its still doing it (probably will be) and I will make the adjustment then. I'll post back and let ya know what I find.

Back