• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is it right for me?

207nytro

Pro
I am looking to get a second sled, we already have a nytro and was thinking of a phazer mtx for the second one.. How will it perform with a 140 lb rider? Is it able to boondock and climb easily in deep powder? And when trail riding will it overheat at all? We want a sled that will be fun but still not lack power. Going 100 down a lake doesnt really matter though, as long as it has decent acceleration. Also is there any cheap power mods for these sleds to get it closer to the 100 mark? Thanks.

If you get one, you'll want to invest in shocks all around, they are a joke, and non-rebuildable, so a revalve is not going to happen. A nice set of Fox's all around would be about another 800-1000 so keep that in mind. After that, some typical Yamaha mods could be added a little at a time. Bushings, ball joints, skis, etc. If you plan to trail ride, add wheels and scratchers. Scratchers if you are only going to trail a bit, but the additional wheels have really made a difference.

Thanks for the replys but as for the power. I really only plan to be going 60 tops down trails as what we have in my area aren't really the trails one would be doing any more than that anyways. Does it accelerate rather quickly to 60 knowing that it is a mountain sled and has low gearing. I am only a 140 lb rider and if it can do better off trail than a 121 fx nytro than I would be happy. We would plan on doing some of the bushing/ balljoint upgrades probably right off the bat.

It definitly do better in the deep then a nytro rtx, i´ve driven a nytro xtx with 32cm paddles and they were pretty much equal in the powder. though i would buy a new track if i only had the money.

It would be an excellent sled for a 140 pounder. I weigh 280lbs loaded and dressed and it's still a gas. You can get this thing shifting out like a bullet with the right setup. 207nytro shot me a PM if you want to chat on the phone about a setup.

2nd sled

If you are going to get a Phazer MTX for some powder boondocking you will want to change the track and re-position your rear suspension. I have a thread on here about the way that I did it and several others have done similar changes. If you leave it stock you will be pretty disappointed. With the change, it becomes a fun little sled. I am pushing 200# with all my gear and average around 40-50 mph when trail riding. But when boondocking it is comparible to most 600cc sleds. It's not a speed demon but can be a fun sled with the update. I presently have a 151" x `14" track on it right now.
Just my opinion.

Unfortunately we won't be getting a phazer mtx. Saw one for sale but I am guessing it is sold as we had no answer to our emails. Instead we looked at a Cat crossfire 700 with only 2k miles on it that was in perfect condition with the exception of a cracked hood. The guy only has to get two small things fixed on it before we pick it up (handwarmer switch, and powervalve servo). It won't have the torque of the 4 strokes but should be able to perform quite well.

Hello! I bought a 07 phazer mtx this spring. I was also wondering what would be some good performance mods. I have put a Barker exhaust on the sled, other than that, it is stock. I planned on cutting the track to 1 3/8" or 1 1/2", and buying a pc3, but I don't really have much experience with a 4 stroke. Any insite, or recomendations would be greatly appreciated.
:yam:

I know that the track upgrade would would great, I'm just trying to utilize some of the things that I can for the time being. Trying for some motor, clutching, and efi upgrades, then I will look at a new track. I hope cutting stock will be an improvement.
:yam:

Back