• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is there a benefit to Studs vers new track

Before you let anyone tell you that studs are a safety issue, there is NO SUCH THING as an unsafe vehicle, only unsafe drivers. No matter what the vehicle is or what condition it is in, the driver ALWAYS must use their judgement to determine how to drive. Anyone who doesn't have the judgement necessary to tell when they're being safe or dangerous should NOT be driving.

What studs do is this;

They make it possible to drive on glare shiny ice.

What they also do is this;

They make people think that they are invincible, thus MORE likely to drive dangerously and crash,

They make road crossings PAINFUL because there is ZERO traction on roads,

They make the sled hard to turn because you need to slide the studs across the ground to move the front over, this causes inside ski lift and chance of ROLLOVER.

They damage the sled by scratching into parts, which can include tunnels, heat exchangers, exhaust parts, flap, etc.,

THEY ARE DANGEROUS because they can break off and shoot in unpredictable directions, including into whoever is behind you, or if you're really unlucky, a stud may find its way up your as* (I suppose that can be read 2 ways, and I don't know which way is worse).

You spend $300 or $400 on a bunch of nails, they really offer NO benefit, they make the sled unfun to drive, you have to self-inflict damage to install them into your track, they continue to damage your sled, in worst case, they can cause death to owner.

I have had studded tracks. Three times. I have no studs on any tracks now because it takes all the fun away.

I'll disagree with you LB on that one. When you have ice underneath the trail, studs do make a difference. A few hills that we ride on face south, a fair amount of snow is gone and what is left is ice. I don't have studs, so I need to get a run, and sometimes its tricky going down. Those who have studs have no problems. Every situation is different, more often than not studs help.

Whatever Lazybastard....
Studs do help braking in hardpack and icy conditions. They also help people hold their line in the corners, I have had so many people nearly hit me flying sideways at me through the corners due to no studs. Whether you are an aggressive rider or a cruiser there is no way that studs do not add to the safety of sleds. Many unforseen things can happen while riding, such as a sudden blind ICY corner and luck will have a guy like Lazy flying sideways having FUN with his BIG 144 taking up the entire trail...you will be glad you have BRAKES and STUDS.

All..Sorry to have asked....I was just looking for some opinons on the subject. My other sled has studs and seemed to help in the northeast here.
I bought it with the studs on it and never rode without so was asking for advice that is all...I did not want to change the factory setup (no studs)without some digging and asking on the subject ...Now go hope for a great winter season and have a drink :drink:

impalapower: You are driving as the conditions dictate. Is it dangerous what you're doing? Not if you don't do something stupid, and since you still live, I will assume that you didn't do anything stupid.

LeeKo: You are describing reckless driving. That is due to the DRIVER, not the studs (or lack thereof).

Also... about keeping your line in corners... yeah, straight through the corner and hitting whoever is on the other side. Real good idea.

I have had lots of morons coming at me taking up the whole trail. Several times I have had to go straight for the inside of the corner to avoid being run over. Believe me, it is WAY easier to get to the inside of the corner if you CAN STEER.

Everyone makes valid points here whether you install studs or not is up to your personal preference and riding style. They have there good points and they have they're bad.
1. They will stop you faster than a non studded track in certain conditions.
2. They will give you additional traction in certain conditions.
3. They can also make you over confident
4. They have been known to fly off and do damage to other riders.
5. Studs are not allowed on certain trails
6. Studs can sure make a mess of that new garage floor :(

Either way lets discuss this in a calm adult manner ;)!
Kinsound I apologize for the way this thread went you had a good question! If you can take the sarcasm out of what these guys say I think you'll find your answer ;)! Different strokes for different folks 8)

Do we need snow or what :ORC

I don't use studs never have. Snow conditiond are good in this area. If I lived where there was glare ice or icy condition such as freezing rain I'd run em. Studded sleds are rare here but because of warmer winters and funny warm spells mid winter more people are going to them.

I can put 250 miles on in a day and not hit any ice. Just nice hardpacked groomed trails. Sometimes in the spring it melts and then freezes again making me wish I had studs so I could run the lakes for a couple more weeks before the ice disapears. Snow is gone so lakes are all thats left.

Getting to the lake means three blocks of ashphalt running. Very hard on studs. I have no trailer I ride from my yard to the trails. Now if I lived on the lake it would be different. Guess it just depends on the area and condition in that area. Here they are definatly optional.

If I where you and I rode mostly hard pack groomed trails. I'd decide if I needed studs because of icy conditions . If there was I'd stud the 03.

If you run off trail or in lots of loose fresh snow I'd go with the ripsaw. Studding it being optional depending on icy conditions. The 03 track just keeps spinning and spinning on anything thats even marginally loose.

Back