• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Just another clutch kit thread...

birkebeiner

Lifetime Member
Country
Norway
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha SR Viper X-TX
I know there are tons of clutck kit threads here, but the ones I've read I haven't seen anything on the Scmidt Bros. Motorsports clutch kit, seen here: http://www.schmidtbrosmotorsports.com/sr-viper-torque-monster-clutch-kits/

I have their kit on my Nytro and I'm very happy with it, so would think it would work fine on the Viper as well. Anyone tried it?

I was planning to go for Ulmer Racing's trail kit but I haven't heard back from them for weeks so not sure what's going on there, so need to start to look for alternatives.

I know there are tons of clutck kit threads here, but the ones I've read I haven't seen anything on the Scmidt Bros. Motorsports clutch kit, seen here: http://www.schmidtbrosmotorsports.com/sr-viper-torque-monster-clutch-kits/

I have their kit on my Nytro and I'm very happy with it, so would think it would work fine on the Viper as well. Anyone tried it?

I was planning to go for Ulmer Racing's trail kit but I haven't heard back from them for weeks so not sure what's going on there, so need to start to look for alternatives.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/clutching-on-the-cheap.129971/

And real world tests by your fellow riders on all the kits here - http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/post-your-clutch-setup.132429/

Also, Nytro kits do not work as well on a Viper as a Viper specific kit, see link above for how the different kits worked out

Last edited:
Schmidt Bros have a Viper specific kit as well. It's in the link in my first post.

Schmidt Bros have a Viper specific kit as well. It's in the link in my first post.

Didn't see any weights in the pic, and the single biggest problem with 2014 - 2015 Viper is the stock weight ramp (has a bump in the heel that causes over rev at take off). I have not tested there setup and it may be great but all my testing has favored flat profile weights the flatter the better. If you try them post results in the "post-your-results" thread.

That being said I have used Schmidt bros products before and liked them

Those guys aren't to far from me , I use a lot of there products, they have raced and won on many yamahas and know there stuff so I would hesitate to get anything from them , they will help you with dialing it in to ... But it should be very close when you get it ....

Great guys to deal with .... Answer the phones all the time , if they don't they will call back that day at some point !

I'll email them to check what's in the Viper kit. Can't recall what was included in my Nytro kit, but pretty sure the weights wasn't.

Birkebeiner

Ulmer responded and I now have Ulmer's kit in the mail on the way to me. Super excited!

I did however order the quiet clutch shims from Schmidt's. They say it will reduce the clutch rattle with 75%, but let's see. If it helps, fantastic!! :)

Birkebeiner

Ulmer responded and I now have Ulmer's kit in the mail on the way to me. Super excited!

I did however order the quiet clutch shims from Schmidt's. They say it will reduce the clutch rattle with 75%, but let's see. If it helps, fantastic!! :)

Birkebeiner
Did Yamaha clutch always sound like paint cans rattleing ? They consider THAT normal ?

It's been on all three 4-strokes I've had; Vector, Nytro and Viper. Not sure whether it's the 3 cyl engine only though..?

Birkebeiner

Did Yamaha clutch always sound like paint cans rattleing ? They consider THAT normal ?

Bought an old rental sled Nytro mountain last week with 15k miles on it. Clutch rattled so bad I couldn't tell if rod was blown. Put in a new set of weights and it sounds as quiet as my Viper

It's been on all three 4-strokes I've had; Vector, Nytro and Viper. Not sure whether it's the 3 cyl engine only though..?

Birkebeiner

On the viper, the bolts that hold in the rollers are not snugged up tight, they can't be completely tightened by design, that part is normal, and with that comes the rattling, on the apex those bolts are able to be tightened up completely so you don't get that rattle, I have a used apex primary with the 14.5mm rollers that I'm gonna give a shot this year, just gonna swap my weights and spring and see what happens.

Seems like you could make up some plastic spacers or something to take up the extra space if that was the case.

Back