• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Just purchased Slydog skis....

Budweiser

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
After reading 1000 posts about skis, I decided on the Slydog trail skis with 6 inch shaper bar. The guy at slydog said they bolt right in....do they?

My skis are shimmed right now...do I need to do this still??

I trail ride and sled is not studded. 06 Attak.

Anything else you guys can offer on installing these???

Thanks!!!

Budweiser said:
After reading 1000 posts about skis, I decided on the Slydog trail skis with 6 inch shaper bar. The guy at slydog said they bolt right in....do they?

My skis are shimmed right now...do I need to do this still??

I trail ride and sled is not studded. 06 Attak.

Anything else you guys can offer on installing these???

Thanks!!!

I was told by Scott Bergstrom to shim the front of the ski rubber on Slydogs.

I have about 800 miles on my Slydog Powderhounds. I'm using 4 inches of 90 degree carbide (no studs). I did absolutely nothing other than pull the Yammie skis off and put on the Slydogs. Took about 10 minutes. I didn't shim, didn't change alignment, used the rubber block they supplied. My sled doesn't dart, doesn't push -- neither here on groomed hard pack nor in Montana on trails with 6 inches of fresh powder.

Thought about getting the powder hound skis but we don't get enough snow for them. 95% of my riding is on trails. And the trail version will still be better than the stock ones I hope!!!

Budweiser - let us know how they feel once you get them on, curious about them as I have tried several skis, currently run Simmons and like them but interested in your opinion.

Budweiser said:
Thought about getting the powder hound skis but we don't get enough snow for them. 95% of my riding is on trails. And the trail version will still be better than the stock ones I hope!!!

you can run the powderhounds on the trails with good results!

Budweiser said:
Their trail skis have exactly the same bottoms, they're just narrower. No downside to running the Powderhounds on groomed trails - they work fine - they're just unnecessarily wide for groomed trail riding.

BigMac said:
Budweiser said:
Their trail skis have exactly the same bottoms, they're just narrower. No downside to running the Powderhounds on groomed trails - they work fine - they're just unnecessarily wide for groomed trail riding.

Agreed. Very minimal darting with my Slydog trail ski setup. I followed Bergstroms recommendations in regards to shimming and a slight toe-in and the difference between these skis and the stockers is night and day.

All good responses! Thanks, your making me feel better about my purchase!

I'll definitely let everyone know what I think of them.

I have them & loved them (actually the Race Ski since a little tougher for thos suprises we sometimes clip on a trail). Slight to in, yes in not out as per the norm !!!, is the recommendations I read prior to my purchase last year. They were simply slightly toed in when installed. Have 7.5 Shapers for carbides.

I just got the trail version skis with 6" round bar carbides. They provide rubber boots that are different than stock and also the mounting hardware. Everything went in just fine. I guess I have to work on the alignment as mine are toed out but I was tired after three late nights getting my sled back together.

Skis....

Attachments

• skis.JPG
    skis.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 100
:Rockon: Just put slydog trail skis on my '06 RTX and couldn't be more pleased. Ran the pilots last year and my wife wanted a ski upgrade, so put the pilots on her Vector. Slydog set pretty much as mentioned above. 5/16" shim under front of rubber, 3/8 ski savers (awesome), and 1/8" toe in with 7 1/2" shaper bars. Absolutely rail, no push, and no darting so far. Only about 70 miles on them so far. What snow we had is about gone now, with ice left. Pilots were great but seemed to push a little.

I just got off the phone with Scott Bergstrom (over an hour conversation)....

He is an engineer and really knows his stuff about skis, darting, laws of physics......... you name it! Very intelligent and personable.

He has specific Ski Saver/ Shim kits and instructions unique to every sled/ ski combo out there just about. Every ski is different and most want to nose dive and roll, if they could. Other behave differently.

But you need to treat that condition and get the ski to float, not dig. It's very interesting! I learned more in an hour than I had ever known before.

According to Bergstrom, my Attak with Slydogs needs shimming 3/8" in front. My Mnt Viper with Slydogs shims 1/4" on back. Go figure!!!!! And that is with Ski Savers and Triple Points installed. He said he does not prefer either "toe-ing" in or out, just straight ahead, creating less drag.

Also, per Viper Dave's tip ask about his proto type add on for Powder Hounds. It is a plastic strip of some sort coming off the keel that will direct snow under the ski even more, for better flotation.

I'll report back later with how these babies perform with the Bergstrom set up!

Mike

Important: Tell Scott Bergstrom you are from TY and say you know Viper Dave and Bergstrom will hook you up, and for a lot less than you think. He is putting 2 whole kits together for me .

Back