• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

knock sensor

jmd426

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Looking at buying a yamaha viper
Are any of the turbo kits available for the viper/7000 adding a knock sensor to there system for safety?

The problem with "adding a knock sensor" is that it will be very expensive to do. You must spend a large amount of time on the engine dyno determining what is actual "knock" and what is just harmonic noise, etc. To my knowledge there isn't any kits adding a knock sensor onto the sleds.

This is all just suspicion, but on the 2016 vector I believe, they changed a lot of engine parts while still keeping it the same engine design, you can only think that the only logical explanation behind that is that it will be used in the next couple years as a factory production turbo engine, most likely replacing the 1100 cat engine. You'd hafta think that with a turbo in mind, the engine would've been built with a knock sensor, hopefully that's the case!

The problem with "adding a knock sensor" is that it will be very expensive to do. You must spend a large amount of time on the engine dyno determining what is actual "knock" and what is just harmonic noise, etc. To my knowledge there isn't any kits adding a knock sensor onto the sleds.
Ok Thanks

This is all just suspicion, but on the 2016 vector I believe, they changed a lot of engine parts while still keeping it the same engine design, you can only think that the only logical explanation behind that is that it will be used in the next couple years as a factory production turbo engine, most likely replacing the 1100 cat engine. You'd hafta think that with a turbo in mind, the engine would've been built with a knock sensor, hopefully that's the case!

Oh I like the way you think. I think your suspicion is fun and likely to be true.

Yanadoo

Oh I like the way you think. I think your suspicion is fun and likely to be true.

Yanadoo

If somebody has a reasoning that's more logical than that, I'm all ears on hearing it! But I think it's safe to say that the signs are all pointing in that direction, hopefully arctic cat is helping with the development some because we all know that the performance of their suzuki 1100 engine was and still is awesome!

As Allen said a knock sensor is based on harmonics and there are several kits available for cars. I have researched this hard after blowing the motor last season.

They mount to the starter motor. But they are super sensitive and any bump or odd vibration like track ratchet or a bump to the skid will throw you into limp mode. I also do not think they will be quick enough to retard rpms if you could get it to work with the CAT ECU to prevent damage. By the time it senses something at those rpms the damage is done.

As Allen said a knock sensor is based on harmonics and there are several kits available for cars. I have researched this hard after blowing the motor last season.

They mount to the starter motor. But they are super sensitive and any bump or odd vibration like track ratchet or a bump to the skid will throw you into limp mode. I also do not think they will be quick enough to retard rpms if you could get it to work with the CAT ECU to prevent damage. By the time it senses something at those rpms the damage is done.

^ x2

Motec's work good as a stand alone control system on Apex's & 1200 Doos & there is a knock sensor option for them.

Only problem is the Motec costs more than an engine. Some sweet though.

Before I started worrying about a knock sensor, I'd get a fully tuned ignition module that simply pulls timing at higher rpm, that's a very cheap and safe route to go, I believe Allen said in the past that he has setups available and ready to use.

I more worried about having lots of snow come December 1st then a knock sensor. :D

Serious , we don't need something to drive the cost of these toys up any higher. vibration dampers, knock sensors, power steering, cruse control, XM radio, on-star, backup camera, before you know it these toys will cost more then a new pickup truck! :mad:

I more worried about having lots of snow come December 1st then a knock sensor. :D

Serious , we don't need something to drive the cost of these toys up any higher. vibration dampers, knock sensors, power steering, cruse control, XM radio, on-star, backup camera, before you know it these toys will cost more then a new pickup truck! :mad:
Agree we don't need any of the other crap but a knock sensor would be good. If they did it at the factory it wouldn't cost more than ten bucks our cost would probably go up 200-300 would be worth it.

A knock sensor is nice. Anybody with time on a boosted Turbo Cat appreciates a knock light. It will pull boost and timing when needed but it's sure nice to see the knock light come on and tell you "get out of the throttle dummy" at WOT if you have mediocre fuel for the setting you are on instead of motoring on through.

I'm not convinced the motor changes are due to a Turbo in the future. Quite possibly. The added modes are very similar to what Ski-Don't has on their 4-smokes. I find it a little odd that they change internals and don't put it in a Viper which would get a little more performance use than what they dropped it in. Maybe they will do that next and claim it's the latest and greatest. If they do add a factory Turbo, I won't be surprised if it's also a replacement for the Cat Turbo Zuk. I hate to see that motor go away due to the ease and low cost of adding power. My gut tells me that won't be the case on a turbo Yammy. I would hope they would offer it at around 200 hp and not 180, which would be a step backwards compared to the Suzuki if it costs double the $$$ to add power.

This reminds me of this video on facebook. Lol. All in good fun!

If the new engine was built to be used in a future production turbo sled then that's probably a good reason why it's being used in the vector and not the viper, smart not to change the engine on the viper considering that for 2016 the viper is probably going to outsell the the vector 1000 to 1. If it is a future boosted engine, I'd think they're looking at a little lower compression, possibly different ecu mapping, all things that you likely wouldn't want in the viper without a turbo, but in the future with a turbo, yes it could possibly be great!

If the new engine was built to be used in a future production turbo sled then that's probably a good reason why it's being used in the vector and not the viper, smart not to change the engine on the viper considering that for 2016 the viper is probably going to outsell the the vector 1000 to 1. If it is a future boosted engine, I'd think they're looking at a little lower compression, possibly different ecu mapping, all things that you likely wouldn't want in the viper without a turbo, but in the future with a turbo, yes it could possibly be great!

Yep, no logical reason to change the world record holder for most engine miles unless you plan a different configuration. My opinion of course.

Back