• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Leak down Test

no way can you change piston's without removeing the engine.you can do head work ok in frame,this is a big job to change piston's .i would guess 15-20 hrs.

My plan is to remove the engine myself and have the dealer do the piston and rod swap. I am guessing 5 - 8 hours @ $60 for the motor job. I am thinking another 10-12 to pull and replace the engine. That will be free because I don't pay myself. I am going to have the turbo and header coated while I have it out. They claim a 60 % heat reduction with the Ceramic coating.
Does anybody know if the total seal rings will fit the Wiseco or JE pistons?

The leak down test will show the problem. Adding oil would temporarily cover up the problem.

You mean to base the condition of the rings on whether or not adding oil will improve the compression? Not a bad *IDEA*, but it would only be conclusive if DRAMATIC difference in compression was observed, if that much difference is observed, then you would know the rings were bad just by doing a dry test because the compression would be REALLY low. The engine would also run REAL BAD, particularly at low speeds, and you would be able to see LOTS of blue smoke.

leak down

Finally got the results from the engine in this original post. All four cylinders had missing Nickasyl. Yamaha is replacing the block at no cost. He also said that 2 valves were not seating properly. This motor never went over 10 #'s of boost.

Back