• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lengthening Apex Skid 136", 144", 153"???

viperdougc

So I am looking at lengthening my skid for my Apex. I only want to do it once so would like some feedback. I do about 5000 miles of trail riding per year and want to make my sled a little more versatile to put a little more off trail running on the agenda this year. My buddy had lengthened his machine to 136" last year and now is lengthening it further to 144". I only want to do this once if possible so wondering what your thoughts are on what length I should go with. Also is it best just to buy an extension kit or just look for a full skid on TY. If I buy a full skid will my electronic shock transfer into say a Nitro 153" skid? Or will I have to give up my electronic shock, it does come in handy sometimes.

You will probably get mixed reviews on this topic. I am working on extending mine to a 144" as we speak. i went with the tipped up rails for trail riding. I am going from a 121 to a 144 on an 06 RTX. Many people on here have done the 144 conversion and love it. if you search this topic you will find alot of useful information. As for the shock question it depends what skid you have in your sled. If you have a mono skid and plan on swaping it out with a nytro skid i dont believe it will work. there may be other skids that are the same in the nytro but Im not sure, you will need to do some research. I would sugest going with rail extensions and saving yourself some money.

I am just finishing up my extension on my 08 apex GT. My sled is currently at the dealer getting its final touches. So I cant give you reviews on the ride or how everything works together but I can tell you a few things. If you planning to extend, I would recommend 144 with tip ups. Gives you best of both worlds. If you want to go to a biger lug but keep tunnel protectors, go with 8 tooth extrodrivers up front, it will give you more clearance. This will also help with your track not rathceting as you will have to run it loose so the suspension can fully compress (the skid tightens the track as it compresses). You will also have to drop your rear mounting brackets by an inch or so or get new ones, as I just found out yesterday, a 1.5 inch crossover track will rub on the tunnel protectors. My dealer will extend the current brackets by welding them. I prefer to leave my protectors in place as I would like to stud in the future. I also got all my shocks revalved for the new setup and added a stiffer spring to the rear suspension to compensate for increase levrage. My dealer thinks he will be able to dial in my suspension close enought to what I need. I would also recommend adding a margianl snow wheel kit right at the part where the rails "kick up" on the rail extension as I can fore see this spot to wear quickly on the sliders. I have put on the new dupont sliders, agian not yet tested. Also added reinforcement rods to the skid to beef it up. As for gearing, I went from a 24/38 gearing to a 23/38 gearing with stock chain as recommended by Ulmer. If you keep stock drivers you may need to go even lower gearing. Like I said this is what I have experienced up to date with my sled, but have not yet ridden it.... but I cant wait to see how it handles. Let me know if you have any questions.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Did this mod last year... love it. went with the hartman rail+151" tunnel extension. Went with a 144" as i had a new one in the garage... put over 3500 miles on this current setup last year... seld was a 136 and i really didn't find any difference in handling/cornering as the axle only goes back about 4" inches or so... Tip ups are ok, but i wanted as much on the snow as i could.(personal preference). Now if your modding a 121" mono shock the rear arms from the LTX 136" and 121" are diffrent. the 136" length is a bit better in stretching imo.

I have had a 121,136,144,and 151. I will never have a 121 again. I don't want a 136. I had a 151 and broke the track on a trip so I had to go back to a 144. Either of the two longer lengths are great. Once you have a longer track and get used to it you won't want to go back to a shorty.

apex

go long may be willing to sell u a 144 kit tip up with 1.25 track if we can make something work love my set up just want longer

I switched to the 144" last year. loved it. You have to be willing to make changes to the suspension setting/adjustments, Skis and/or carbides. Be assured all handleing charactoristics can fixed to your liking.

Did mine last year. I just put ltx rails on my skid, tunnel extention, and 1.5 talon. Had to remove tunnel protectors for the 1.5. Works great. This year I will replace to upper skid wheels to the smaller 5" as on the original.ltx skid. The shorty mono has 7"wheels. This will give a little more clearance in the tunnel. Put 1200 miles on it last year and love it. Cost just under a grand for everything.

Back