• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Less idler wheels ?

mnf7sp

Extreme
I have an 06 Apex GT with about 1300 miles on my hy-fax, not bad, but I wonder about some thing.

I wonder if less idler wheels would allow more surface area to contact clips and allow more even wear. I only wear out part of the slide. Another thing is weight and maintenance of idlers.

Back in the day when slide rails came out there was no extra wheels, no engineered plastics and they would last along time.

Has anyone removed idlers and had any better or worse wear?

I wish I would have thought of that when I opened up the closed windows.

Another experiment I ran last year was to put wide hyfax on 1 RX1 and narrow on the other.

Unfortanatly, bad weather limited my miles. It will take a good part of this year to see if there is a distance>>>If the narrow wear better, now I'll wonder if it is just due to the effectively wider windows in relationship to the hyfax. Time will tell. I hope to hear how running without wheels works out for you.

I am going to run the narrower Rx-1 sliders this year.. also i have new track clips and new SLP wear pads..

mnf7sp said:
I have an 06 Apex GT with about 1300 miles on my hy-fax, not bad, but I wonder about some thing.

I wonder if less idler wheels would allow more surface area to contact clips and allow more even wear. I only wear out part of the slide. Another thing is weight and maintenance of idlers.

Back in the day when slide rails came out there was no extra wheels, no engineered plastics and they would last along time.

Has anyone removed idlers and had any better or worse wear?

the way i see it is "back in the day" assuming your refering to the good ol' days of rear skids with less than 8" of travel, the approach angle is far less than what were dealing with today. less approach angle translates to less pressure and friction on slides, leading to far less slide wear. I would think less idlers=more friction. and more friction=more slide wear, granted it may wear less in the typical areas, but more so in the areas where the idlers are no longer present... but then again my thinking is typically way out to lunch, so who am i to say... only one way to tell for sure though, "Trial and Error" or maybe no error? who knows?

more wheels is going to take some of the load off of the sliders.. less wheels are going to add more load to the sliders and more heat and faster wear..

I am going to get the hiperfax slides, widen the windows and run the front set of idlers. The teflon is good for 750 degrees and that is pretty damn hot!

Look at what touches your frying pan before it melts teflon!

:winter:

mnf7sp said:
found my answer. look at the last picture on the left.

http://www.hiperfax.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=14

the picture on the lower right, is paul cyrs drag strip. 2000ft about 10 sleds wide, groomed all winter, right next to the trail.

lot of fun if your up to the county

every mod talked about has a condition it is better on. the reason for idler wheels is when you get to that paved road, glare ice 5ml lake, etc.

i run extra wheels, always, the tiny bit of speed lost in accelleration isnt worth the worry for trail riding
if your always in the snow, you can run none.

don't do much jumping with the hyper fax. the teflon will crack and fall out. Then they melt down supper fast, and start chucking the rest of the teflon out. Been there done that. Maxdlx

Back