• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Let's talk suspension

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
I picked my new 2022 LTX GT this spring and have been thinking about suspension upgrades.
We all know that big power is relatively easy to get with these Sidewinders.
The next frontier, for me, is ultimate ride/handling. After over 21k miles on these chassis, I want to see how good I can get it.
In the past I have done some revalving, different springs, different shocks. I had my 2017 RTX 129 pretty good. I had my 2014 Viper 137 really good. I really want to go for best ride I can get. I DONT need a snow-cross set up. The days of pounding 3 foot moguls are over for this guy.
I rode @ 1000 miles on my 2020 ZR800 last year on the stock QS3's and they just weren't doing it for me.
I know some here have done complete skid swaps, but I think I want to use my stock skid. I believe the front suspension geometry is the best in the business.
I have been looking at Elka shocks and talked to Accelerated Technologies about a complete shock/ spring package.
Any thoughts, input and experience's are welcome.

I'd call Ian at Monster Performance and talk him. His shop is a little over 2 hours away, so shipping time and costs would be minimal for rebuilds/tuning.

He sells Elka and Exit shocks.

Reactions: JPS
I will check them out.

Do not get exits, I’ve regretted it for my rear skid since I got them. Worked with Ian and got them so first cpl rides they are good then they just deteriorate over the winter. Broke center spring with 3000 miles on them this winter. It was my choice as I figured it’s better quality than stock and gave some minor adjustment if needed if bumps got big but that was wrong thinking. Elka is def way to go and I plan to make that change for this coming winter on mine. I want to chat with him some on some other options too.

I plan on the Elka's right now
Sent Monster Performance an email, waiting for response.....

Hey Stain,

I purchased a full set of four Elka Stage 5 shocks for my ‘22 Thundercat from John @ Accelerated Technologies. I contacted Ian first as he is local but he couldn’t help me at the time as Elka doesn’t offer shocks for the 2020 and up Sidewinder and Thundercats. So I contacted John and he had already successfully built custom Elka shocks to work on the 2020 and up Sidewinder and T-cats. The reason why they’re not available from others yet is because the upper A arms were refined in 2020 to a narrower upper A Arm and you have to custom build them to work in that narrow arm. John commented he had already built a set for a 2021 Sidewinder with great success. I just had to send him a photo of the upper A arms for my ‘22 T-cat so he coulkd verify how to build the front shocks to fit inside the arms on my T-cat. There was a lot more room int he upper arm on the 2019’s.
See below the photo I sent John

BD928798-C7BA-4068-8447-D29E3D6E452E.jpeg

On my 22' I made the following rear suspension changes:

Replaced the stock front rear spring with the viper spring
Replaced the upper front cross shaft with a precision upgraded shaft
Replaced the lower front shock cross shaft with a BOP stainless steel shaft.
Added a 4th wheel to the rear using Arctic Cat parts.
Installed drive shaft saver
Installed 1.575 Woody's Gold Diggers with Aluminum plates 5 per bar.

I am a big guy and have been known to break suspension parts. I harden things before I ride the sled when new.

I picked my new 2022 LTX GT this spring and have been thinking about suspension upgrades.
We all know that big power is relatively easy to get with these Sidewinders.
The next frontier, for me, is ultimate ride/handling. After over 21k miles on these chassis, I want to see how good I can get it.
In the past I have done some revalving, different springs, different shocks. I had my 2017 RTX 129 pretty good. I had my 2014 Viper 137 really good. I really want to go for best ride I can get. I DONT need a snow-cross set up. The days of pounding 3 foot moguls are over for this guy.
I rode @ 1000 miles on my 2020 ZR800 last year on the stock QS3's and they just weren't doing it for me.
I know some here have done complete skid swaps, but I think I want to use my stock skid. I believe the front suspension geometry is the best in the business.
I have been looking at Elka shocks and talked to Accelerated Technologies about a complete shock/ spring package.
Any thoughts, input and experience's are welcome.
Curious on if you have acted on your suspension upgrade? I bought the same sled and am going to change the torsion springs for sure (I'm 300#) and contemplating buying dual rate ski shock springs and center shock spring. I don't like that the tender portion of the ski shock spring is almost fully compressed with only the weight of the sled. I plan to loosen up the center shock some and try to level out the a-arms. I've ordered scales so I can start balancing it out at the very least. Hate to not know how it would have ridden from the factory though. As it sits without working on anything, it has zero sag in the rear and probably 3" or so sag in front. Center shock is tight enough the front raises slightly when I sit on it. Can't think it's anywhere near where it needs to be as it sits. I've been watching a lot of Accelerated Technologies vids...hope I'm not going to make it worse. lol

Curious on if you have acted on your suspension upgrade? I bought the same sled and am going to change the torsion springs for sure (I'm 300#) and contemplating buying dual rate ski shock springs and center shock spring. I don't like that the tender portion of the ski shock spring is almost fully compressed with only the weight of the sled. I plan to loosen up the center shock some and try to level out the a-arms. I've ordered scales so I can start balancing it out at the very least. Hate to not know how it would have ridden from the factory though. As it sits without working on anything, it has zero sag in the rear and probably 3" or so sag in front. Center shock is tight enough the front raises slightly when I sit on it. Can't think it's anywhere near where it needs to be as it sits. I've been watching a lot of Accelerated Technologies vids...hope I'm not going to make it worse. lol
Yes. I have a full set of Elka shocks and springs on the way......

Jealous. I'm just doing springs this year.
New torsion springs are a must. I put the .437 22.5lb/in springs on and on softest setting they work amazing. So happy with my changes. I’ve never been able to properly set sag before.

I'm doing torsion and dual rate fronts. Will be able to compare improvement from wife's sled that staying stock for the first ride.

I'm doing torsion and dual rate fronts. Will be able to compare improvement from wife's sled that staying stock for the first ride.
Torsions are huge. What year are yours? The taller (new style) spindles help take some the stress off front of skid and smooth ride out a ton.

Back