• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Let's talk suspension

That’s awesome Stain,

I started working on my T-cat last week and have the front shocks already installed. I’ll be working on the rear skid this coming week.
I wanted to get all the front end items installed before starting on the rear skid.

Attachments

• 25AB23E2-1088-4F2B-8C74-5A49A6951B5A.jpeg
    25AB23E2-1088-4F2B-8C74-5A49A6951B5A.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 9FA70993-BDC5-40F5-AD60-5436F9256220.jpeg
    9FA70993-BDC5-40F5-AD60-5436F9256220.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 78

Man I don't think I could better than the iqs setup the tcat and srx have. I have talked to hygear about adding a rebound adjustment to the fronts and rear most shock.

Man I don't think I could better than the iqs setup the tcat and srx have. I have talked to hygear about adding a rebound adjustment to the fronts and rear most shock.
You can’t and justify the money for 2020 and newer with the new front spindles. They helped the center shock out alot. But depending on weight the spring and valving choices can be improved on a lot at first rebuild, usually 1000-2000 miles is most I’ll do on before a rebuild

I have an 18 XTX 141, put the Hygear Pro linkage on with custom Axis shocks which were valved way too stiff, the rear spring broke, ended up sending the custom Axis shocks to Ian at monster and he fixed the valving for my weight, set me up with new correct springs and now i can say my rear suspension works great. on the front i have Fox QS3r's 2.0 with monster valving and custom springs. could not be happier with the set up.

@STAIN nice set of Elkas!!! You are going to love them. Curious, what springs did yours come set up with for the font main spring and tender spring as well as your center shock?
Mine came with 4.0/52 tender 4.0/152 (to long imo) main for center and 9.4/45 tender 3.1/254 main on front shocks

Mine came with 4.0/52 tender 4.0/152 (to long imo) main for center and 9.4/45 tender 3.1/254 main on front shocks

I have 4.0X52 tender and 4.0X152 main for Center Shock (I like this setup a lot). Front shocks I have 9.4X45 tender and 2.7X254 main. My Elka fronts originally came with Hyperco 185 lbs/in main springs, but I switched them out to the Elka 2.7X254 mains the last couple of years. I think I might try the 3.1X254 mains on the front this year.

Last edited:
I have 4.0/52 tender and 4.0/152 main for Center Shock (I like this setup a lot). Front shocks I have 9.4/45 tender and 2.7/254 main. My Elka fronts originally came with Hyperco 185 lbs/in main springs, but I switched them out to the Elka 2.7/254 mains the last couple of years. I think I might try the 3.1/254 mains on the front this year.
3.1 is around a 175lb/in spring. I feel that would be best after having my axis with 150’s on them for past 5 years. Seemed to just become nose heavy (under sprung) and was gonna try that, but actually sold my axis for 300 less than new Elkas. And this is how they sent them to me. Not sure what accelerated tech would have done, I chatted with them a bit on a few things and the shorter main center spring is only thing they would have said. I agree with that since it’s already preloaded at full loose and if I pull up straps it’s just preloading it more. Which takes out the soft portion of travel before cross over takes over.

@STAIN nice set of Elkas!!! You are going to love them. Curious, what springs did yours come set up with for the font main spring and tender spring as well as your center shock?
My center shock is a 3.6x127 main and a 9.4x45 tender spring
front shocks are main 2.7x254 and tender 9.4x45
I am not sure how to translate these numbers
they also sent me one left torsion spring labeled #20
all shocks came with a label showing the base settings set for my weight

My center shock is a 3.6x127 main and a 9.4x45 tender spring
front shocks are main 2.7x254 and tender 9.4x45
I am not sure how to translate these numbers
they also sent me one left torsion spring labeled #20
all shocks came with a label showing the base settings set for my weight

Thanks Stain. Who did you get your Elka's through? Elka, Accelerated, or Monster?

The numbers are translated as follows:
Fronts
9.4X45 = 527 lbs/in. rate, 1.77 inches long
2.7X254 = 152 lbs/in. rate, 10 inches long

Center
9.4X45 = 527 lbs/in. rate, 1.77 inches long
3.6x127 = 202 lbs/in. rate, 5 inches long

I got them through Accelerated Technologies after talking with them about my riding style, weight etc.
I am looking forward to trying these shocks over the QS-3's I ran last year on the ZR800 I was riding.
My goal is to make this 2022 LTX-GT the best riding sled I can

how are translating those numbers? is there a chart somewhere?

I got them through Accelerated Technologies after talking with them about my riding style, weight etc.
I am looking forward to trying these shocks over the QS-3's I ran last year on the ZR800 I was riding.
My goal is to make this 2022 LTX-GT the best riding sled I can

how are translating those numbers? is there a chart somewhere?

John is such a great guy to work with at Accelerated. He really knows his stuff and takes the time to talk with you. I had them revalve my elkas a couple of years ago.

Out on Elka’s website, you can go under the Shop area and there is a spring section. You’ll see all the different springs listed such as 2.7X254. If you click on it, the details are shown and provides the lbs/in.

You can’t and justify the money for 2020 and newer with the new front spindles. They helped the center shock out alot. But depending on weight the spring and valving choices can be improved on a lot at first rebuild, usually 1000-2000 miles is most I’ll do on before a rebuild
They are getting sent to hygear in a week or so. They told me that the sidewinder/tcat is pretty optimal and not in need a of a revalve.

My shocks need it that's for certain.

if you want the best ride buy the skid from Team Fast my brother in law did an is night an day different it is the best ride this fat guy has ever been on mark my words,
I’ve heard the same. Nothing more plush than the Team Fast King Air skid.
Want to put one in my sled.

Back