• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Let's talk suspension

Thanks Stain. Who did you get your Elka's through? Elka, Accelerated, or Monster?

The numbers are translated as follows:
Fronts
9.4X45 = 527 lbs/in. rate, 1.77 inches long
2.7X254 = 152 lbs/in. rate, 10 inches long

Center
9.4X45 = 527 lbs/in. rate, 1.77 inches long
3.6x127 = 202 lbs/in. rate, 5 inches long

Those spring combinations give you a 117/152 spring rate for the front ski shocks and a 146/202 spring rate for the center shock. In comparison, the stock springs on the standard front shocks are a 120-lb single rate. The SRX/Thundercat dual-rate front ski shock springs are a 90/145 dual rate so this Elka setup is just a little stiffer initially and for the final rate. The standard stock center shock is a 90/250 dual rate.

Those spring combinations give you a 117/152 spring rate for the front ski shocks and a 146/202 spring rate for the center shock. In comparison, the stock springs on the standard front shocks are a 120-lb single rate. The SRX/Thundercat dual-rate front ski shock springs are a 90/145 dual rate so this Elka setup is just a little stiffer initially and for the final rate. The standard stock center shock is a 90/250 dual rate.

Hey @twyztid, thank you for sharing the spring rate. Can you share the calculation used to figure out the spring rate on a dual rate like above? This is very helpful information! Thank you.

The big question is when do the SRX/Thundercat dual rate front springs crossover to control pitch/roll? The difference between OEM and Elka is the crossover or lock out collar.

Last edited:
The big question is when do the SRX/Thundercat dual rate front springs crossover to control pitch/roll? The difference between OEM and Elka is the crossover or lock out collar.

Very quickly. The SRX dual rate spring is designed to soak up the little chatter but stiffen up fast to the effective spring rate dictated by the main body of the spring. That is how they ride lower but do not lose travel. Its nominal position is near binding and the tender portion of the spring is really there to cover shock extension. Most hygear setups I have seen have very small amounts of travel before lockout (look at inner collar not the knurled part). I assume the elkas have a similar limited lockout range or the risk is shock packing under the wrong conditions.

Earthling with the srx/tcat springs do you set them at static sag? I seem to recall when I did this it went through the tight progressive section of the spring.

Earthling with the srx/tcat springs do you set them at static sag? I seem to recall when I did this it went through the tight progressive section of the spring.
Yes it uses up almost all the tighter coils when you set sag properly. That’s normal for dual rate springs. The upper section is there to take up the slack when the shock extends.

Most hygear setups I have seen have very small amounts of travel before lockout
With Hygear you can get an adjustable collar to change the travel of the tender spring before it bottoms. I used these instead of changing the width of the collar. Very effective at tuning the amount of body roll you want with front shocks.
The one thing I wish the Elka's had was an adjustable lockout collar for the tender spring.

With Hygear you can get an adjustable collar to change the travel of the tender spring before it bottoms. I used these instead of changing the width of the collar. Very effective at tuning the amount of body roll you want with front shocks.
The one thing I wish the Elka's had was an adjustable lockout collar for the tender spring.
I had that on center spring. Didn’t really understand it as well as I wanted to years ago when I started to dive into the stacked springs and cross over stuff. But that was a fantastic option. I purchased Elkas and k do like where they seem to be crossing over (haven’t rode them yet). But I’ve considered contacting Hygear just to get the crossover pieces

I’m pretty sure John at Accelerated offers different height spacers to adjust the lockout height of the tender springs. It’s not infinite like the Hygear setup, but does offer some tuning options.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure John at Accelerated offers different height spacers to adjust the lockout height of the tender springs. It’s not intimate like the Hygear setup, but does offer some tuning options.
Yea, definitely not taking shocks off the sled, pulling springs off shock to change a spacer then reassembling. I’d suffer with them not being 100% what I want before I bothered with any of that nonsense lol

For the front Elka Stage 5s, will the earlier model not fit the 2020 and newer? Bit surprised they need to be custom made but in going to Elka's website they list 2017 as the fitment year. Was looking at some used Elkas but unsure if fronts will fit.

For the front Elka Stage 5s, will the earlier model not fit the 2020 and newer? Bit surprised they need to be custom made but in going to Elka's website they list 2017 as the fitment year. Was looking at some used Elkas but unsure if fronts will fit.
I believe John has them made. I could be wrong,but I think he knows what needs to be done to make them fit.

Hey Richard,
That is correct. The 2020 and newer AC and Yamaha Procross chassis’s got the upgraded, narrower upper control arms. Because of this, Elka doesn’t offer them as of right now on their website. This is why John from Accelerated Technologies had to custom build a set for my ‘22 T-cat. Because the upper control arm is so much narrower, using the shocks from the older poses an issue with the remote reservoir. John had already fitted a set of Elka’s to a 2020 Sidewinder so he knew what i needed once I sent him a photo of which upper arms I had on my sled.
88245DB3-5E2E-4BC0-9463-4267B53AF739.jpeg

I believe John has them made. I could be wrong,but I think he knows what needs to be done to make them fit.
You are correct Stain.. John is the man when it comes to Elka shocks.

Back