• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Let's talk suspension

I have my Elka Stage 5's from that I bought for the Viper back in 2016 and now have them on my Sidewinder with the 2020+ new Upper A-Arms and Spindles. They fit 100% without any modifications needed. Maybe I got lucky with mine.

There is a set of stage 5 Elka's for sale on HCS for anyone wanting to go down this road but doesn't want to spend all the $$$$

I have my Elka Stage 5's from that I bought for the Viper back in 2016 and now have them on my Sidewinder with the 2020+ new Upper A-Arms and Spindles. They fit 100% without any modifications needed. Maybe I got lucky with mine.
I believe the Vipers came with different shock packages depending on model. If you have Elka shocks that the reservoir’s pointing in a specific direction coming off the shock body you lucked out and that’s great. IMO it’s the height up the shock body and the direction the reservoir is pointed that‘s critical fitting inside the narrower upper control arm.

I hope so, I have a full set from him and am hoping for the best.
You’ll be fine if you have your Elka’s coming from John. I installed my front‘s from John already and will start installing the rears this week.

Mine are all on and I am just waiting for snow!!
I also have the adjustable limiter coming. Might as well go all the way...

Mine are all on and I am just waiting for snow!!
I also have the adjustable limiter coming. Might as well go all the way...
Oh.. Awesome, You'll have to let me know what you think of your set once you ride it.
I already did a bunch of upgrades to mine.
Installed Hurricane Performance needle bearing top gear, DMC brass shift forks, PEFI Chain adjuster shoe, PEFI driveshaft saver and belly saver, 3 map sensor and Turbo Smart aluminum BOV. Plus, I just installed a set of Skidoo Tunnel mounted ice scratchers.
Left on the list of items to install are Dupont slides, both rear Elka Stage 5 shocks, Speedwerx quick coupler block adjuster, Hurricane gauge cluster tune (225,240, 270) w/ Closed loop system, Dalton QA3 adjustable primary weights.

For closed loop you also need a/f setup, an if stock exhaust you need to drill hole and weld bung for sensor in specific spot.

Also this summer I got stage 4’s from Ian so I am pretty excited. Got a million more idlers so I’m excited

For closed loop you also need a/f setup, an if stock exhaust you need to drill hole and weld bung for sensor in specific spot.

Also this summer I got stage 4’s from Ian so I am pretty excited. Got a million more idlers so I’m excited
Hey fxnytro,
Yes sir.. Hurricane hooked me up with everything I need for the closed loop system including the AFR module, bung, plug for SM and a trail muffler if I choose to go that route. I have both tunes for each 225, 240 and 270 SM & PM.
To start out the season I’m just going to run 225hp SM tune, then go from there.

I now have @500 miles on my Elka shock/spring package and have made some strides.
First, let me say that John from Accelerated Technologies knows so much more than me about suspension set up it isn't even funny. It is his profession.
BUT I have to consider my own experience with the pro-cross chassis and my 20, 000 miles of seat time on them.
I tried the set up they sent me and adjusted to the best I could, with some help from Dennytuna.
I also pulled the limiter strap up (something I do NOT like to do) so that the whole skid hit the ground at once, not letting the front hit first.
In the end, it was just too stiff. The rear skid always rode "on top' of the bumps. I could not get the skid to soak up the small bumps.
Luckily, I have 2 2020 T-Cats I ride with for comparison and a stock T-Cat was much more compliant in the small stuff than I could achieve with the set up I was sent.
SO, with knowledge from my previous Viper/Sidewinder/ZR 800 suspension tuning, I made some changes from Accelerated's set up.
I installed rear stock springs.
All springs zero preload
I let my front strap out to just tight as it sits on the floor.
All compression setting to neutral and rebound settings to 3/4 adjustment to the quick side.
This set up is MUCH better, with the small studder bumps now being filtered out. Rebound was a little quick and I made those easy adjustments on the trail. I am now in a window where I can make small changes depending on trail conditions and feel the difference. It soaks up the big stuff really well.
Would I buy this set up again? Probably not, unless I went to the seller for a complete set up and fitment with my sled and a test day.
It IS better than stock, but is it worth what I paid better? I think I could have gone with some dual rate springs and revalve on the QS3's and been into it for half of what I paid.
The Elkas are a nice shock. They just haven't blown me away yet for the price, and that's what I expected. Maybe that changes with more seat time and adjustments.
I wish the transfer collars for the dual rate spring where adjustable like Hygear's. I found they were a useful tuning tool when I had those on my Viper. I wonder if anyone sells them for Elka's?

I now have @500 miles on my Elka shock/spring package and have made some strides.
First, let me say that John from Accelerated Technologies knows so much more than me about suspension set up it isn't even funny. It is his profession.
BUT I have to consider my own experience with the pro-cross chassis and my 20, 000 miles of seat time on them.
I tried the set up they sent me and adjusted to the best I could, with some help from Dennytuna.
I also pulled the limiter strap up (something I do NOT like to do) so that the whole skid hit the ground at once, not letting the front hit first.
In the end, it was just too stiff. The rear skid always rode "on top' of the bumps. I could not get the skid to soak up the small bumps.
Luckily, I have 2 2020 T-Cats I ride with for comparison and a stock T-Cat was much more compliant in the small stuff than I could achieve with the set up I was sent.
SO, with knowledge from my previous Viper/Sidewinder/ZR 800 suspension tuning, I made some changes from Accelerated's set up.
I installed rear stock springs.
All springs zero preload
I let my front strap out to just tight as it sits on the floor.
All compression setting to neutral and rebound settings to 3/4 adjustment to the quick side.
This set up is MUCH better, with the small studder bumps now being filtered out. Rebound was a little quick and I made those easy adjustments on the trail. I am now in a window where I can make small changes depending on trail conditions and feel the difference. It soaks up the big stuff really well.
Would I buy this set up again? Probably not, unless I went to the seller for a complete set up and fitment with my sled and a test day.
It IS better than stock, but is it worth what I paid better? I think I could have gone with some dual rate springs and revalve on the QS3's and been into it for half of what I paid.
The Elkas are a nice shock. They just haven't blown me away yet for the price, and that's what I expected. Maybe that changes with more seat time and adjustments.
I wish the transfer collars for the dual rate spring where adjustable like Hygear's. I found they were a useful tuning tool when I had those on my Viper. I wonder if anyone sells them for Elka's?
You can get different "transfer collars" from Elka. They make them with all different heights on either side. In fact, depending on which ones you have now, you may be able to flip them over

You can get different "transfer collars" from Elka. They make them with all different heights on either side. In fact, depending on which ones you have now, you may be able to flip them over
yeah, I saw those. I was hoping for something to be able to change on trail to feel the difference immediately.

Twisted-3_1024x1024.jpg

Back