• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lining up rear skid hole?

Mr.Black

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Nytro RTX
Hey everyone I just installed the Star 128 kit and got the front skid bolts in but now the rear bolt holes on the skid and tunnel are 2 to 3 inches apart. Is the a way to move the rear suspension arm forward so the holes will line up?

Take the torsion spring holders off on the back to relax them. It will go in slick

No take off the holder behind the side bogey wheel that the spring slides through

Sent from my pocket computer so excuse my spelling

Do you mean the hollow black plastic blocks that the long portion of the torsion spring slides through?

Indeed

Sent from my pocket computer so excuse my spelling

Ya, take the end of the torsion spring out of the saddle behind the idler. The skid's scissor will then have tons of room to move and the holes will line up easy. Once the 4 bolts are in and tight (rear bolts are loctited - blue), lay on your back and bench press the spring with one arm, back into place, up over the wheel, and rotate saddle onto the end of the spring. Also, lay a bit of grease on the end of the spring. It helps lube the movement of the torsion spring.
MS

Learned that trick last year and boy is really makes it easy to move that thing around. Holes line up with out and problems.

I've always used a ratchet strap from the top cross shaft of the front arm around the cross shaft of the rear scissor to pull it forward. I throw the strap on the skid be fore I install it, and it's easy to line the holes up. Just another way to skin a cat...

I use a ratchet strap as well. Works great.

I use four ratchet straps when putting my xtx skid back in. Works slick as can be. Two for the front arm and two for the torsion spring. Once you get the actually skid in (which sucks the big one every year), lining up the holes is easy!

If you leave the skid uncompressed (torsions unloaded) you can raise it into place with a floor jack or motorcycle/quad lift with absolutely no fighting.

X2 and if you tie up the track to the sled before trying to put the skid back in you won't have to fight it. I got mine back in and the 4 bolts started in less than 5 minutes!!

Pete

You're right Pete, that works awesome. I have a piece of corugated plastic that I put over the track on the floor. I slide the skid in from the side on it with the track tied up and then slide the plastic out. The rails don't get caught on the drive lugs that way. It's slick.

Back