• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Little help please Hifax problem

FastAttak

Was out changing my hifax on my Attak (pain in the a**) and when I was trying to clean out the hole for the screw the tap busted inside. I cannot get it out! What if I left it that way and didn't put a screw in would my hifax come flying out? I'm heading to the UP Thursday and I don't know what to do? Thanks Dave

Yea you need that screw in there! The hifax will come off.
You need to get that tap out, dont give up you can get it out!!
Skydog

Do you have an extractor kit? If not, get one, and a top of the line drill bit. Drill a hole in the broken tap and use the extractor to remove the tap. Then drill out the messed up hole and try to retap it a size larger.

If you can't it out, perhaps you could drill and tap a new hole about an inch from the existing one and secure the new slider to it.

The only way to drill the tap out is with Carbide, and extracters will NOT work in a broken tap because the tap is harder than the extracter. You have to drill the tap out with the next thread size drill, and tap it out to that size.

Worst case you could drill a second hole a half inch down and tap, then drill a lower hole in the hyfax and counter sink. Agree with previous post, do not run without a screw, it wont stay on but about a mile if you are lucky without one

I drilled and tapped another hole lower then the original hole in the rail on my daughters sled and then drilled a new hole in the hyfax. It's been like this for 2 years now.

i have some very small and narrow needle nose pliers that i have used to remove broken taps, they slide down the slots then turn pliers out

Grimm said:
Do you have an extractor kit? If not, get one, and a top of the line drill bit. Drill a hole in the broken tap and use the extractor to remove the tap. Then drill out the messed up hole and try to retap it a size larger.

If you can't it out, perhaps you could drill and tap a new hole about an inch from the existing one and secure the new slider to it.

I dont think you can redrill and tap to a larger size the width of the rail wont allow it. On mine you can actually see where the threads taps are on the side of the rail. Thats how narrow it is. I would try to get it out and chase the threads with a tap the same size. Then install and use blue loctite to hold the screw if questionable. When you go to take it out just heat it up on the sides of the rail.

Chances are if the tap broke on its own, no pliers or screwdrivers will be to successful extracting a broken tap. If the tap is broken close to flush, or thereabouts with the rail. Take a nut close to the size of the tap or larger, and weld it to the tap from the inside of the nut. Preferably with a mig welder. The heat will help to expand the alum. and loosen the stuck tap. It will come right out. This method works on broken bolts too, as long as they are within reason of being close to flush with the part. Mike Knapp#17

buy some tap extrectors i believe napa has them. they have fingers that slide down in the flutes of the tap and then a collar slides down to hold them in place and the tap comes out. i have had good luck with them.

Back