• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking at buying a Nytro have questions?

SSX600

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 Nytro XTX, 1997 Mtn Max 600, 1998 SSX600, 1975 SM292F, 1987 Inviter
I have been reading the forums on the nytro and have alot of ????? I am finding alot of left over Nytros 08, and 09 and am wondering about the issues with ball joints, engine issues with connecting rods. What has Yamaha done to improve on these issues and would Yamaha address the issues on remaining left over machines or are you on your own? I did ride a 2010 XTX and was very concerned how it drove did alot of darting around and seemed like they was alot of play in the chaincase also not overly impressed with the speed pickup as my 600 vmax's pick up speed faster. Is that to be expected? Any thought would be great. Thanks

:yam:

Almost everyone is going to tell you no matter what nytro you buy, your gonna need new skis. Theres alot of posts regarding that issue.

As far as the speed is concerned, the torque is amazing. I can tell you, i have raced my srx700 numerous times and i beat it everytime, only have raced 0-85ish or so.

As i have only rode my 09 xtx, i cant help you with the other nytros. but its all up to what kinda of riding you do. To me, the xtx was the only choice, mostly trail, some powder, and some hill climbing.

Good luck, and im sure others will chime in and be able to help you out more than me.

Ball joints are a bit of an issue, if they get loose in the first year, Yamaha will replace. I am hopping that an aftermarket company will come up with a more durable replacement.

Connecting rod failures were all but unheard of untill the past few weeks. I have heard of 3 going bad (Not many)

A few motors have also failed due to can chain tension failures (perhaps 4 or 5)

I have owned a 700sx that would eat any 600 vmax and the Nitro is quicker than the SX, top end is simular

The play in the chaincase is the reverse that is norm. not to worry about . The darting well maybe the toe is not right if u get it set right it will not dart around . I dont think there is maybe a hand full with conneting rod problem i only know of one on here but lastly i think yamaha would take care of u on left over 08s & 09s new .Just a little adjustments & the things rock dont listen to every thing u here & read . read though the lines if u know what i mean . I put skis on every sled i get but the only other thing i did was a clutch kit (team roller) good luck :moon:

Thanks for the Help and I am looking for a Good used Nytro and have a couple that I am looking at so maybe I might be updating to a 4 stroke. Would love to try out a 2011 apex and see what its all about.

good luck with whatever you decide to do. Just would like to add that there is a huge difference between a new Apex and a used Nytro in cost , ride and performance. Are you sure what you want. :-o

Hmmmmmm 6600 miles on my 2008 Nytro and just replaced a speed sensor bearing 2 weeks ago. Guess if that the only thing I had to replace in that many miles, then I'd say another Nytro will be my replacement sled.

My 2 $.02...Be patient with set-up, read all the tech helps on this site, beware of overheating, hyfax wear, ball-joints, right A-arm bolt, weal subframe, and you'll be ok.

I concur...definitely look closely at the subframe and A arms. The subframe can be easily tweaked and is not easily identifiable after a repair. A quick check on the 09s and 10s support plate (plate with a circle cut out) to see that it isn't crinkled/chipped paint/rusted and spindles should be somewhat centered between the upper A ams.

Try a search on subframes and look closely at the pictures of them to see where they are prone to bend.

You will not enjoy the Nytro unless you are an aggressive rider. If you're a cruiser I wouldn't even consider it. The mechanical/handling issues that you're concerned about are overblown in my opinion. I have 2,500 miles on my 09 xtx and my only issue has been a torn limiter strap. I do spray my ball joints with silicone spray about every 200 miles and the stockers are still tight. I do agree that it takes awhile to dial in the suspension (lots of variables) but when you finally get it the nytro rocks :Rockon:

I am an aggresive rider I am always up and down on my current sled and I think I will enjoy the higher ride height and the rider forward design. I found a really nice 2010 XTX black on black with 1800 miles for 8800 I am going to look at it next week. Is this a good deal? And what should I check for. The pictures look like a new sled.

SSX600 said:
I am an aggresive rider I am always up and down on my current sled and I think I will enjoy the higher ride height and the rider forward design. I found a really nice 2010 XTX black on black with 1800 miles for 8800 I am going to look at it next week. Is this a good deal? And what should I check for. The pictures look like a new sled.

That seems high. For that much money you could probably get an 09 brand new and they are basically unchanged for 2010 (different paint and replaceable bogey wheel bearings). I found this used 09 locally for comparison.

http://rockford.craigslist.org/rvs/1591430591.html

Love this sled personally I have never ridden anything that has this kind of torgue and response. Would not worry about the engine at all. I have heard a few things regarding ball joints and i don't think that is a major concern. I've also heard yamaha will replace them once at no charge. The thing though that I would be most concerned about is hifax and limiter strap wear, depending on the type of riding you do. I do all back country and have my set up very loose I'm on my 4th set of hifax in 2000 miles. Fixed that though I have an EZ Ryde skid on the way. other than that this thing is a beast

Added a New Horse to the Sable

Here are some pictures of my current fleet.

Attachments

• 100_1296 (Medium).JPG
    100_1296 (Medium).JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_1298 (Medium).JPG
    100_1298 (Medium).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 72

Back