• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking for a good riding shovel.

personal favorite is the new HMK wiht teh metal pick on the end of hte handle...

I carry two: one on me, and one on sled...the one on sled is the normal use one, the one in pack is if I am seperated from sled in avy or something...

do NOT get the lexan or hard plastic ones, they are completely useless in an avy rescue, as they shatter from how hard the snow is...

I use the voile with alum shovel and saw in the handle works well not very heavy bigger shovel than most makes digging faster and easier

Thanks guys, I am a flatlander but I am drawn to do more off trail in the UP of Michigan, trail riding is loosing its fun and there are alot of idiots out there, almost got hit 3 times last weekend from people on my side. It still gets pretty deep up there enough to want to have a shovel handy.

woodsrider said:
I use the voile with alum shovel and saw in the handle works well not very heavy bigger shovel than most makes digging faster and easier

Amen to that...

If ya can make it out to Wyoming, I don't know what I am doing.....

but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Seriously, holler if you can make it this way! Lotsa good mountain riding...

stopdropanroll said:
Thanks guys, I am a flatlander but I am drawn to do more off trail in the UP of Michigan, trail riding is loosing its fun and there are alot of idiots out there, almost got hit 3 times last weekend from people on my side. It still gets pretty deep up there enough to want to have a shovel handy.

Where do you ride in the U.P.? I also do not want to ride on the trails any more. Iam always looking for a new place to ride.

randman516 said:
stopdropanroll said:

Where do you ride in the U.P.? I also do not want to ride on the trails any more. Iam always looking for a new place to ride.

Well anywhere North East of Lake Gogebic is big snow country, typically make a run to Copper Harbor and back is a all day event but I am more interested in less miles and doing more off trail so I will start exploring with my GPS more. I am trying to learn from some experianced boondockers, even with GPS you can get yourself into trouble so I will start out small.

Back