• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

loose reverse gear bolt?

mateo

Extreme
I took the suspension/track/drivers etc out last night (starting to see how nice a hoist would be :o| )
When looking at the bolt/guide that the reverse gears live on, it's very slopy. Is this by design? I can jiggle it and wiggle it a whole bunch.
I read here that the bolt on the bottom gear can be too long and backs off, but this is something different.

It's seems fairly common to have a little play there, Remember when you put the bolt through the cover it is supported from both ends. Both my sleds have some play but I wouldn't consider it "very slopy".

Thanks for the reply, not sure how much 'play' is okay, but I'll find out.
Whole suspension came out in ~4 hrs.
Going to a 162 track....
Was wondering what do you do for hyfax when you put the rail extensions on there. Need new hyfaxes?

And check out these pics of the stock drivers. Think I need to change them?
The ODO on this machine is only 494 miles, but yet the drivers look - well as in the pics..
First time looking at drivers so Im not sure how much wear is normal.
I wonder if the odo is not accurate...

Lastly, I found some random piece of plastic when removing the engine floor.. does anyone recognize this white piece?

tx,
m

Attachments

• drivers1.jpg
    drivers1.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 87
  • drivers2.jpg
    drivers2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 93
  • drivers3.jpg
    drivers3.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4995.jpg
    IMG_4995.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4996.jpg
    IMG_4996.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4997.jpg
    IMG_4997.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0890 copy.jpg
    IMG_0890 copy.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 95
If you go for a rail extension which extends the hyfax you can get 162" hyfax from your Yammi dealer.

I bought 153" hyfax and cut it to the correct length when i extended my shortie to a 144".

What do the ends of your rail caps look like? have you ever drove in low snow, and got the hyfax super hot? I've actually melted drivers when running high speed on ice... track clips have gotten so hot they actually turned color and slides... well they just melted.

That plastic piece almost looks like a steering bushing.... but i thought they were all black!?

The white piece is from the sway bar mount. The sway bar must have been removed and one of the bushings was dropped during removal. That's my guess.

Looks like your track may have possibly been ratcheting too. Are you running boost? Get Avids if you are. Otherwise, the Wahl Bros drivers have held up well for me.

Scott

I can't say for sure if it was running boost - because I got the machine from an auction in AK. Tried to get in touch with the previous owner but no luck.
It has no boost now, but it's not impossible that the turbo kit was removed before given to the insurance company.

Sway bar - check. it's removed. Thanks.
Do these drivers look toast to you, or do you think they'll live a while longer (non boost).

Looks like I need new hyfaxes then to fit the 162 extension...

mateo

I know exactly what you are talking about because I noticed that slop in mine when i swapped out my track and drivers last season. I made a post on here asking the same question.
if i am not mistaken, the shaft you are refering to is part of the reverse gear sub-system. there is a steel plate with two small bolts on the bulk head that holds the axle from turning.
The other end of the shaft is held in place by a collar once the chain cover is put back in place. once you have tightened the bolt that runs through the cover into the shaft, it is securely held in place.
I even had my brother who is a mecahincal egineer and designs and builds high dollar off-road race cars and sand rails for a living take a look at mine. He said there was nothing to worry about because once everythng is bolted back together the shaft is securely held in place. I hope this helps :Rockon:

PS. Make sure that the little tiny spring between the two small gears that ride on the shaft in question is positioned correctly. the little spring is usually in the pile of parts you hear hit the bottom of the chain case when you initially pull the cover off

The bolt that most people are talking about that breaks is the large bolt that holds the large bottom gear cluster on the driver axle. I had the local Yami shop drill mine out when they replaced the drivers for me.

Your drivers arent horrible. you could get a few more miles out of them but i would try to clean them up a little before reusing. BUT now is the time to change them since you will be pulling them anyway to put in the new track. Id recommend a set of avids and never worry about them again.

sherlock29 said:
What do the ends of your rail caps look like? have you ever drove in low snow, and got the hyfax super hot? I've actually melted drivers when running high speed on ice... track clips have gotten so hot they actually turned color and slides... well they just melted.

No scratchers on this one, so possibly melted... heres some pics of how the rail caps look.

Attachments

• IMG_0895.JPG
    IMG_0895.JPG
    310.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0903.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 81
That's not melting. Based on how your rail tips look, they are getting slammed by the track clips. Most likely cause was that the track was too loose.

Honestly, I think you were lucky not to spear one of your rails.

Scott

This shouldnt happen if everything is tuned well tho - no?
Thought the anti stab kit really come in handy when you have boost and lots of power..?

Back