• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Loose Studs :( - Tips?

CCCT

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Apex
2009 PhazerGT
Welp, snows here and now I have found a bunch of loose studs on my sled. Studs are still in decent shape but a handful...like 10-20 are loose, still in tact. Most loose ones are in line with the far rear, inner wheel. Wonder if contact with the wheel is making them loose?

I tried tightening them with no luck - wouldnt budge and already broke 2 T25 torx bits (torx bit with ratchet inside, then using socket on the outside trying to tighten and/or loosen)

They are studboy studs. Aluminum backer etc.

Any tips on how to either tighten or even remove if need be? I Don't have a torch handy to heat them up. If i need to provide any pics, let me know. Thanks!

Yeah, I'd like to see a pic.

I wouldn't ride it with studs flopping around ready to pull out.

Attachments

• 20171212_160938.jpg
    20171212_160938.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 227
One other thing......most of backers I've installed are tight to the stud. Those backers might need to be replaced.

Looks like those backers have been worn around the inside. I'm guessing from wobbling around

One other thing......most of backers I've installed are tight to the stud. Those backers might need to be replaced.

Looks like those backers have been worn around the inside. I'm guessing from wobbling around

Hmm, you think I can just get away with using a nut splitter and removing the loose ones for now, and leaving them empty? Was planning on replacing the track next spring anyways.

Hmm, you think I can just get away with using a nut splitter and removing the loose ones for now, and leaving them empty? Was planning on replacing the track next spring anyways.

If they are not all in one spot.. it may thro the track out of balance..

Maybe others can offer you advise.

I'd be reviewing the track & replacing the studs, etc. But that's just me.

Im not sure how many miles on this track. Bought the sled last Jan...'07 Apex short track with about 10,000 kms (6K miles). There are a few lugs that are a cracked up and a few that are broken a bit. O

Im not sure how many miles on this track. Bought the sled last Jan...'07 Apex short track with about 10,000 kms. There are a few lugs that are a cracked up and a few that are broken a bit.

Pull the studs and run it this season.

Pull the studs and run it this season.

This is what I'm thinking. I barely rode it Jan/Feb after I picked it up, but plan to ride more this winter. However that being said with my schedule I'd be happy to but on 1000-1500 kms max.

In the pic I attached, if I'm removing the loose ones which happen to be the "doubles", should I remove both? - know what I mean?

This is what I'm thinking. I barely rode it Jan/Feb after I picked it up, but plan to ride more this winter. However that being said with my schedule I'd be happy to but on 1000-1500 kms max.

In the pic I attached, if I'm removing the loose ones which happen to be the "doubles", should I remove both? - know what I mean?

I would remove both studs if your pulling one. You dont want that big double backer to turn and cause damage.

Back