• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lower side panel warranty(Sway bar rub)

ROCKERDAN

OCD Sledhead
Country
Other
Snowmobile
'18 RTX 50th "Winder"
Hey guys. Has anyone successfully got their lower side panels covered under warranty? This is the issue when the sway bar ends rub and gouge up the panels. It seems to happen mostly when ridden hard on pounded out trails. Mine did not show anything the first several rides as they were relatively smooth, but after one day running a pounded out trail all day, I saw the gouges appear.

My dealer is saying they all do this....which may be true, but is that an excuse not to warranty it? I did not expect Yamaha to skirt such an issue....I know my '12 cat never rubbed for what its worth.

I would like new panels, and then I would try to mod the bar ends so I have better clearance. Anyone else get panels covered under warranty?

thanks
Dan

I would try a different dealer. That’s bs if you ask me! Lack of testing is not our fault as consumers!!

I have the rub marks also but have not tried to get new panels. Wonder if I should?

Drill a small hole in the link and put a pin in it so it won't move side to side .

After breaking original sway bar I ground the ends of new one slightly rounding it off. Seems to have stopped the rubbing. Don’t see a sway bar with hole drilled for pin lasting even one ride.

Agreed i did the same to mind and it helped a lot.
I also think any holes drilled would be a bad idea since they are prone to breaking.
Maybe try a shaft collars to try to keep it from sliding around?

I got a new side panel under warranty because of a blown belt on my sled, so IMO Yamaha should cover that for you.
You have a powerful dealer.... keep it ;-)

I have the same rub on my SW and my previous VIPER T ....
Yamaha have such a BAD warranty service here that you have to pick the fight! :-/
I never try to pass them under warranty....

You have a powerful dealer.... keep it ;-)

I have the same rub on my SW and my previous VIPER T ....
Yamaha have such a BAD warranty service here that you have to pick the fight! :-/
I never try to pass them under warranty....

Yup, my dealer is great, they are all sled guys. It did take a lot of ball busting to get the panel replaced tho. I had the customer service department telling me all winter that there was no problem with the stock clutching, and I was the only person having a problem, blah blah blah. When Yamaha finally gave me a replacement panel, they asked me not to put it on until this season, because they know there is a problem with the clutching, and they will be releasing some clutch updates for this season. (primary rollers, helix and different secondary spring is what I was told.)

I got mine warrantied and they ground the sway bar for me and that took care of it

Thanks Guys....

Im gonna work on the dealer. What bothers me is this showed up with only approx 300 miles on it. It never rubbed at all when ridden on nicely groomed trails, it was just one day of riding(maybe 130miles) on rough trails. I believe when the sled is pounded hard, the "one piece" sway bar will distort in certain hard situations when its flexed hard, which distorts the ends just enough to bring them close enough to rub the pan. You would not see this issue if it was a straight bar with separate end links.

So for them not to warranty it, seems really bad on their part. Maybe its cause they know it will just rub again? I would make sure to mod the ends to help them not rub again, and would not try to get warranty again and again, but maybe what they worry about...

I think Travis should work on a nice straight sway bar with separate end links, ofcourse it would need to be designed to have the same amt of "twist" torque as the stocker to get similar handling characteristics. The links could have diff holes for more or less aggressive characteristics even, and could be made to give plenty of clearance so no more pan rubbing ever. It blows my mind that this has been happening since year one(2012 procross) when you search back, and yet they dont fix it. It would be a simple fix for them but still 7 seasons later same setup that rubs for 90% of people.

Dan

They have been rubbing like that for years. I tried to claim mine on my viper and the dealer claimed he never saw or heard of it. Said I had to have hit something to cause that to happen.
i also bought a used sway bar and bent the ends out even further to try to stop the rubbing. It made no difference.
grinding down the ends for clearances really the way to go

Back