• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Made changes, really disappointed....

x2thez

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Viper LTX
2009 Yamaha Vector LTX
1987 Yamaha Bravo
As I have read on here a multitude of information, I have learned that there are a few simple ways to gain some speed and HP from a RS motor. The ways that I used were to use CR10ek plugs and to gear down one tooth on top gear. I have to say that they are both 100% WRONG! I am sorry, I know this is only my fault but I feel that all should know. This weekend I was on a lake with myself on a 2006 vector gt, another 2006 vector er and a 2005 vector ER, the 06 ER was bone stock. THe other two had the above mods done, and each time, which was about 5 runs, the bone stock sled would win. I can assure you that I am going to change the gearing back and put my plugs back to stock as well. If anyone has any LOGICAL reason as to why this could be I would be intrigued to hear. :yam:

i dont know bout anyone else but i have to agree with x2thez on the cr10ek plugs...i dont know what the deal is but i keep fouling them out...i've fouled out twice this year...in only bout 300 miles and i've only fouled out one plug in the other 7000 miles so im goin bakc to stock plugs but that gearing i have the gear and will try it and let u konw

I have the stock plugs in mine but changed my top gear from the stock 22 tooth to a 21 tooth. All I can say is from my own experience...and that is that I am definatley faster on topend with the 21 tooth gear.

The only thing I can tell you is to put everything back to stock (don't change anything else) and re-race to see what happens (in the exact same conditions as well).

Tfin said:
I have the stock plugs in mine but changed my top gear from the stock 22 tooth to a 21 tooth. All I can say is from my own experience...and that is that I am definatley faster on topend with the 21 tooth gear.

The only thing I can tell you is to put everything back to stock (don't change anything else) and re-race to see what happens (in the exact same conditions as well).

I really think its in your head, because I thought it was faster too, mainly because the highest I saw on the speedo was 103 before and 106 after, but the other sled was about 1 sled faster thus disproving that.

So are you saying that you've raced the stock sled before in similar conditions and didn't get beat?

That would be the true test.

I'd definately be interested once you put yours back to stock in hearing how you fare against the other stock Vector (again in similar conditions).

Be sure to let us know.

So you added more HP and changed the gear ratio but didn't change any clutching? You need to adjust your clutching to use the new HP and torque that you now have.

If you're fouling the CR10EK plugs you're not turning the choke off quick enough.

Srxspec said:
So you added more HP and changed the gear ratio but didn't change any clutching? You need to adjust your clutching to use the new HP and torque that you now have.

If you're fouling the CR10EK plugs you're not turning the choke off quick enough.

I am not fouling the plugs, someone else stated that. But I did change the clutching because I was over reving, I am not reving to about 8700, I drilled out the outer two rivets and installed the next size up. Any other ideas?

those plugs are 2 ranges colder for the 3-holer, only 1 for the 4. I suggest looking into a CR9ek.

People forget that the 3-holer calls for a hotter plug from the factory than the 4 holer...........

FYI I saw 122 on my Dream O Meter this weekend on my 100% stock Rage.................

Its my understanding that yami left quite alot on the table as far as clutching goes on the rs sleds.... i would recommend go there first....

x2thez said:
...the highest I saw on the speedo was 103 before and 106 after...

This post is confusing. You state that you have seen a gain of 3 mph top end on your speedo reading after the modifications but then state it must be all in your head? There are other factors that govern top end speed, like track tension etc. It would be interesting to know how the race would have come out before you made the mods, as I am thinking about gearing down a tooth also.

I have also heard that the CR10EK plugs may be too cold for the 3 cylinder. I have not had any issues with them in mine even on very cold mornings. Haven't really noticed a difference in the switch, either good or bad...

twomorestrokes said:
x2thez said:
...the highest I saw on the speedo was 103 before and 106 after...

This post is confusing. You state that you have seen a gain of 3 mph top end on your speedo reading after the modifications but then state it must be all in your head? There are other factors that govern top end speed, like track tension etc. It would be interesting to know how the race would have come out before you made the mods, as I am thinking about gearing down a tooth also.

I have also heard that the CR10EK plugs may be too cold for the 3 cylinder. I have not had any issues with them in mine even on very cold mornings. Haven't really noticed a difference in the switch, either good or bad...

I dont mean to confuse you. I do state that but let me also say that the 106 was in prime conditions and he 103 was on a groomed trail. The track tension on both sleds was set by me, so they should be very close if not the same.

How about studs? Are they all studded the same or was the "bone stock" sled unstuded for less rotating mass? All three riders weight comparable? Windshields same height? The others are probably right about clutching, but I thought I'd read that by just gearing down that you'd pick up more low end grunt PLUS more top speed.

I'm not trying to argue at all. I am just curious as you are as to why the stock sled came out on top every time.

twomorestrokes said:
How about studs? Are they all studded the same or was the "bone stock" sled unstuded for less rotating mass? All three riders weight comparable? Windshields same height? The others are probably right about clutching, but I thought I'd read that by just gearing down that you'd pick up more low end grunt PLUS more top speed.

I'm not trying to argue at all. I am just curious as you are as to why the stock sled came out on top every time.

Ok, Neither sled is studded. Rider weight is within 20 lbs, same windshields. Like I said I was disappointed and unsure as to why this is?

Did all three sled have the same amount of miles on them and same suspensions. these 3 holers get faster and faster the more miles u put on them, it takes about 2000 miles to really find out what they have.

Back