• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Made changes, really disappointed....

raginyamaha said:
Did all three sled have the same amount of miles on them and same suspensions. these 3 holers get faster and faster the more miles u put on them, it takes about 2000 miles to really find out what they have.

You know its funny you say that... Because this disproves it. The faster had the least miles. The bone stocker had about 800 miles, my sled being the geared sled had about 2700....... :o|

I was there and mine was the slowest of the three :o|
wind resistance was my bigest prolbem, with a nytro windsheild and hand guards and seat the best ive seen on the lake was 100
but this is the weird part, on a hard packed strait packed wide trail with my head tucked behind the handel bar bad i seen speeds of 110 on the dream o meter WTF ?

4strokesmoke said:
I was there and mine was the slowest of the three :o|
wind resistance was my bigest prolbem, with a nytro windsheild and hand guards and seat the best ive seen on the lake was 100
but this is the weird part, on a hard packed strait packed wide trail with my head tucked behind the handel bar bad i seen speeds of 110 on the dream o meter WTF ?

Some truth comes out. That's why I asked about the windshields. The low windshields KILL your top end speed. When I had my 98 SX, my buddy would always walk right by me at top end with his standard Vmax, same year, same everything except the windshield. Has a few mph easily on me. I swapped windshields with my wife's '99 Phazer, and next time out we were neck and neck when topped out. Those cool looking ultra low shields are looks only. (however, I have one too, just haven't ever used it yet)

Now that still doesn't explain why the geared Vector was slower than the stocker. I'd suspect clutching, knowing thet the weights have been changed.

I'd still be interested in hearing the results of the rematch once you put yours back to stock.

I don't know about the vectors windshield...a little story for ya...wsay back when...lol...my buddy used to race (stock) 650 polaris'...we were out testing with a radar gun, when he rolled the sled..after the 3rd run...smashing the racing (small) windshield...we duct taped the hood..and he ..took a run with no winshield..it was 2 mph slower...than with the short windshield...so we decided to put the only winshiled we had ..a high..dorky looking as hell..just add mirrors, and you'd be the dork of the northwoods...lol...we thought what the heck let's try it...the sled was 4 MPH faster in 1,000 ft than it had been with the short windshield. ...I know it's not rocket science..but it opened my eyes..winshields work..short ones are not only cold...but actually slow you down....so when some old fart blows by you on a nytro with a touring winshield...don't be surprised....lol

Heritage said:
I don't know about the vectors windshield...a little story for ya...wsay back when...lol...my buddy used to race (stock) 650 polaris'...we were out testing with a radar gun, when he rolled the sled..after the 3rd run...smashing the racing (small) windshield...we duct taped the hood..and he ..took a run with no winshield..it was 2 mph slower...than with the short windshield...so we decided to put the only winshiled we had ..a high..dorky looking as hell..just add mirrors, and you'd be the dork of the northwoods...lol...we thought what the heck let's try it...the sled was 4 MPH faster in 1,000 ft than it had been with the short windshield. ...I know it's not rocket science..but it opened my eyes..winshields work..short ones are not only cold...but actually slow you down....so when some old fart blows by you on a nytro with a touring winshield...don't be surprised....lol

VERY interesting story! I have a Nytro windshield on my Vector right now. I don't like the looks of the stock one. Maybe I'll look into getting the mid-height solid black one instead.

That is very correct information on the short windshields. Believe it or not, a mid height with that upward lip on the top will be faster that the same mid height without the lip (flare) on top. That little lip directs much more wind over your head instead of directly at your chest or face. The Vector w/s may not look as cool as the Nytro's, but it is much more aerodynamic. I may try my Nytro shield out, but it won't be till March.

When I ride a sled with a low windshield I can feel the wind beating me in the chest at high speed. Nothing but a big old air brake!

I'd have to say that your testing conditions leave a little to be desired. Was one running in more hardpack? Was one sticking the hyfax more than the other? The only way to say its 100% wrong is, same day testing, in same conditions. You could go back to stock and get beat worse.

Sorry If you think I misinformedyou.I have did both changes sepetaley on timers and radar and I was faster with the plugs.I gained a couple mph with the gearing change and it ran faster times.
As srxspec said you have to tune the ckutches for the added power.You said you added more weight in the stock weights.What are you reving now.Maybe you add to much?You should run 8600rpms

pro116 said:
Sorry If you think I misinformedyou.I have did both changes sepetaley on timers and radar and I was faster with the plugs.I gained a couple mph with the gearing change and it ran faster times.
As srxspec said you have to tune the ckutches for the added power.You said you added more weight in the stock weights.What are you reving now.Maybe you add to much?You should run 8600rpms

X2theZ changed his weights so the sled would stay in the 8600, 8700 rpms
mine on the other hand was left with stock clutching. I think im going to see what my big windsheild does :-o ;)!

p0wd3rp1l0t said:
i dont know bout anyone else but i have to agree with x2thez on the cr10ek plugs...i dont know what the deal is but i keep fouling them out...i've fouled out twice this year...in only bout 300 miles and i've only fouled out one plug in the other 7000 miles so im goin bakc to stock plugs but that gearing i have the gear and will try it and let u konw

Don't feel too bad my vector fouled the cr10ek's with 12 miles on them. I went back to stock plugs myself.

Those plugs are 2, let me say that again; 2 heat ranges colder :o|
They work in the 4 holers because they are only 1 heat range colder for those fella's.
Standard plug for the triple is CR8E, CR9E for the Four banger.

Mighty said:
Those plugs are 2, let me say that again; 2 heat ranges colder :o|
They work in the 4 holers because they are only 1 heat range colder for those fella's.
Standard plug for the triple is CR8E, CR9E for the Four banger.

Ok, thats great, but that does not account for the speed changes. And to answer each persons question about hard pack or not, they were all on hard pack, on a lake and did multiple runs. This truly does not make sense, if I wasnt there I wouldnt have believed it. I am going to change my plugs tonight to a CR9E.

Back