• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MC Express or Bender Turbo ?

Turk, I love your signature.

But to answer the prior post, I prefer the Bender turbo system. The petot system to control bowl pressure works fantastic.

Climbmax has an MC kit in the mountains so seek out his opinion on the subject.

I know a number of people with Benders in the hills. They work good, but we have had our fair share of challanges. It took a long time to find the right jetting and right now we are addressing a problem with snow ingestion.

One nice thing with the Bender is that there are a LOT more of them here in the mountains. There are a lot of us to help you get it dialed in and give you the benefit of all of our tuning time.

I'm running a bender set up and I pick my air up from under the seat.
we ran in 5 to 6 feet of powder snow this weekend and it worked good.
last weekend I had a trouble with my stock set up and got snow packed in the filter aera. I found when you get water in the intercooler you will end up with water in your fuel pressuer regulator. when it freezes it will hold your regulator closed and raise your fuel psi and flood your engine on start up.
this was after sitting over night.

powershot1 said:
I'm running a bender set up and I pick my air up from under the seat.
we ran in 5 to 6 feet of powder snow this weekend and it worked good.

Please explain. I know quite a few people who would like the answer to this problem.

Thanks to everyone responding, I've heard that snow ingestion is a problem. Sounds like everyone is using the Bender setup, haven't had a single response on the MC Express setup.

I have iced the fuel pressure regulator once. Brought the sled inside for an hour then it was fine.

I should have put in the night before, as I saw the boost guage ice and stick on the ride home after an hour break.

That is the only complaint so far. It operates very well and the drivability and general smoothness of this engine turbocharged is fantastic :!:

Turbo

I have the McXpress, but I don't ride in the mountains. I can tell you that I love it and it really rocks. There is no lag and the kit fits and goes together very well. The only problem I have had has been sn oil leak on the return fitting for the oil line. There should be a copper washer on the adapter between the banjo bolt and the turbo and there wasn't. Not a big deal if caught before the install, but a real pain to put in after the fact. The only other issue was venting the heat, which I solved with a vent cut into the upper hood like Phil(RXWarrior) did on his. Looks great and works fine. The turbo adds a good 25 mph in a 1000 feet. Very reliable and fast.

I'm running into the same problem with snow ingestion on my own kit. The biggest problem is as mentioned - the FPR freezing and holding the valve open. Easy way to hydro lock your motor if you don't have a fuel press. gauge to warn you.

I was thinking about a possible fix to the problem that would require an inline 'bladder' on the signal line from the IC to the FPR. I have no idea if this exists, or how to size it, but I'm thinking something that would look like a fuel filter, but have a rubber membrane in it to reflect pressure change, but not allow any water to pass..

Anyone get what I mean? Does such a part exist?

On a related note, what filter/pre-filter have you guys been running on the Bender/rear mount MC?

lakercr said:
On a related note, what filter/pre-filter have you guys been running on the Bender/rear mount MC?

A foam filter with an Outerwear Prefilter. The Outerwear is junk and I am going to SLP Flow-rite material.

POWERHAULIC said:
I am going to try a K&N filter as I believe it will shed the water better.

Hey they use them in personal watercraft, now thats wet :!:

Never thought of that. However those are flame arrestors and aren't they made of metal mesh? Maybe they make diferrent ones.

I've been to K&N's website to try and match up the best filter. It appears that they only make pre filters for certain ones - any particular model #'s you're considering?

Back