• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Medium Windshield Clarification

Turtle

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Polaris Switchback 800 Pro S LE
'15 Viper RTX SE w/ MPI turbo - sold
'07 FX Phazer GT
I spent some time on the phone with Kevin at Port Yamaha in hopes to understand the 'medium' windshield a bit better. The pics on the Yamaha accessory website are not the best. And a few I know who have ordered the medium sport windshield claim it it nothing like the picture on the accessories website.

Just to clarify off the bat, my info here does not refer to the blue or red sport windshields. Those we have seen pics of here before, and I believe Mr Sled has the red version on his Viper.

If you look on the accessories website, you will find the below part numbers listed as "medium sport windshields":
SMA-8JR96-20-SM (smoke)
SMA-8JR96-20-00 (clear)

These part numbers are simply described as "medium windshields":
SMA-8JP96-20-SM (smoke)
SMA-8JP96-20-00 (clear)

The pictures you see on the Yamaha accessories website are quite deceiving and give you the impression that these windshields are quite a bit different and that the sport version looks much lower than the non-sport version. However, the truth is much different than the pics.

The 8JP version is essentially the same exact windshield that came stock on the standard 2014 Viper (or now the 2015 deluxe version). It is the same exact size, shape and profile ... just in either a clear or smoke version.
The 8JR version is the exact same height as the 8JP, but with a different profile and shape to it. I'll say that again - it's the same height! Available in a clear or smoke version.

I've attached comparison pics below that were sent to me direct from Kevin himself. I hope this helps clarify the differences in the windshields.

Attachments

• Compare 8JP to 8JR.jpg
    Compare 8JP to 8JR.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 894
  • SMA-8JP96-20-00.jpg
    SMA-8JP96-20-00.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 888
  • SMA-8JR96-20-SM #2.jpg
    SMA-8JR96-20-SM #2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 885
  • SMA-8JR96-20-SM.jpg
    SMA-8JR96-20-SM.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 972

Update .... After my discussion with Kevin at Port Yamaha, he told me that he placed an email to the head of accessories advising them that they show some better pictures. Shockingly, they just updated the pictures within an hour of that email. If you look on Yamaha accessories online now, they have much better pictures of the sport windshields.

The production LXR windshield intrigues me. I've ridden the machine and the coverage seemed very good. Then again a smoked version of the 2014 shield might not be bad either.

One of the nice things that Cat did was do a full front view outline drawing showing the coverage overlaying the production as well as the accessory shields.

Page 114 here

https://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/67606/323368/pub/

Doo picture on page 136 here:

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/ski-doo-us/ski-doo_catalogue2015-us/2014021901/#136

Last edited:
Great collaboration on the windshields guys. This begs to ask the following questions....which one will look best (from a sporty/sleek perspective) on the LE models (8JP or 8JR) and will Yamaha have an 8JP or 8JR windshield in blue or black/blue, not just the smoke or clear? The stock all blue windshields on the Vipers for '15 really make the sleds HOT, but are so freakin cold!

Last edited:
That's where some side by side pics from same perspective would be nice. That plus the head on coverage drawings like the other mfr's have in their catalogs.

Does anyone have input on whether it is more difficult to see through the medium-sport SMOKED shield for the Viper?
I am contemplating the clear vs smoked medium-sport shield for my Viper. I have had clear shields on my previous sleds and I know with a medium shield you end up looking through the shield most of the time. Although I like the looked of the medium-sport SMOKED, I am curious how this may decrease visibility of the trail, especially at night. I would assume this would be similar to wearing a pair of sunglasses.
Thanks for any input.

Does anyone have input on whether it is more difficult to see through the medium-sport SMOKED shield for the Viper?
I am contemplating the clear vs smoked medium-sport shield for my Viper. I have had clear shields on my previous sleds and I know with a medium shield you end up looking through the shield most of the time. Although I like the looked of the medium-sport SMOKED, I am curious how this may decrease visibility of the trail, especially at night. I would assume this would be similar to wearing a pair of sunglasses.
Thanks for any input.

I don't think you'll end up looking through it anyways, I have the same windshield on my sled and its not an issue for me.

From motorcycling experience, whenever possible it is best to look over not through. At the very least not both. Looking through tends to make you too short sighted and doing both can confuse depth perception. As for the color/tinting just try riding a motorcycle at or after dusk with sunglasses.

Here is a pic that I borrowed off the web. From L to R it shows my personal fave the Cat Crosstour with mirrors, Cat Mid accessory white, and Cat LXR shields. Slight variance between the 7000 and other series on the crosstour, but same general concept.
I really like the Crosstour, but fear it's a bit too big.

windshields.png

Last edited:
I'm with you TD, I like the windy with the mirrors, but it does seem kinda big. But then again on those really cold days you'll love the bigger shield. Will that shield even fit the vipers?

Crosstour 7000 should fit like any other Cat shield but I cannot say for sure. I'd like to make the OE low one work for the looks, but I'm not sure I can take the punishment.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree that I will likely end up looking "over" it, but just wanted to get opinions from a few others as I have not yet ridden my Viper so I wasn't sure how high up you sit in relation to the medium shield. The mirrors would be nice, but agree it gets a bit bulky. And I agree with TD Max; ideally I prefer the LOW shield, but as much as I would admire the appearance sitting in the garage, I would be kicking myself on those late nights at -20F!

The Cross tour will not fit like the other 7000 mid windshields because it has the ears I posted the pic of. You will need to modify it a bit. No ears no problem. Ears you need to modify.

If I end up buying the sled I'll get ahold of Cannondale and get the windshield from him or at least buy it and see if he'll mock it up on his sled first.

I don't exactly know. I never did it but I assume you cut the tab off and drill a hole for the pushpin like stock has. I will mock it up tomorrow.

Back