• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mobil 1 0-30W Synthetic Oil Vs. Yamaha Syn/Oil Blend

whitedust1 said:
He said that he did not know why synthetic oils don't work in 150 he just said they don't work at 30 below zero F. He said the engine would not start. I told him Mobil 1 0-30W was new Mobil 1 synthetic oil & this is not 5-30W that may be out of spec. He said he has tried it & engines don't start at 30 below zero F unless it is Yamaha oil. I don't know anyone on TY that used Mobil 1 0-30W synthetic in Attack since it is a brand new product but he claims he tried it & no off brand oils work including Amsoil or Mobil 1. Only Yamaha oil works @ 30 below zero F. Like I said he was red faced & getting pissed so I left. I would like to go back with facts in hand regarding Mobil 1 0-30W synthetic & talk some sense into him but I don't know what I need to prove that M1 & other oils will work well.

I tell you what, I haven't tried starting my Apex in 30 below, but at 25 below it started a helluva lot easier with Mobil 1 0W-30 last season than it did with Yamaha semi-synthetic 0W-30 the season before. I was afraid it wasn't gonna go with the Yamaha oil. It would start, immediately die and so on. With the Mobil it fired once, died, then fired right back up and was good to go for the entire day!

BS., mobil 1 and any other syn. oil is honored by yamaha, tell your dealer ,tell sell other oils and get his PROFIT. NONSENSE TOTALLY. :home:

I read thru manual & YES. Yamaha just says use 0-30w oil nothing more or less as far as brand. The dealer is way off base with Yamaha (ONLY) oil claims.

Drained the Yamaha oil & pulled filter. 1700 miles on new Yamaha filter & Yamaha oil. Yamaha oil looked tar black in filter. Now I wonder if the dealer changed the oil filter at 500 mile check or just drained the oil & put in new oil? When a dealer acts crazy regarding oil brands you start doubting his motives & his service performance. Not impressed with the Yamaha oil so far. Anybody change oil & filter in 2 Apexs then use 2 different brand oils & compare oil color & filter residue at next change.

I spoke to a Yami dealer over near Norway, Maine. He was very helpful in me making my decision on what to use in my sled. He races supercharged and n/a four strokes and has done a test between fully synthetic and the yami hybrid. He stated that the engine temperatures were considerably lower with the full syn. So there you have it. Less temp=less friction. Less friction=more hp and less engine wear. If there is some other info out there that is as conclusive as the info presented by the dealer to me then I might consider the semi-syn, but until then I'll stick to the mobil-1.

Same question as Buddahead, I have 1800 total miles all with the Yamaha oil so far (changed oil & filter @ 500 mi). Should I change to fully synthetic now?

Also wondering if there is a better filter than the OEM?

I used Mobile 1 for a long time on my sled.. but i heard alot of people talking about how the yamalube was speciallly formulated for the starter and mobil 1 isnt..

I know my super charged sea-doo jet boat uses a special ash type full synthetic oil, specifically designed for the supercharger, and any use of any other oil will void the warranty..

Blue Dave said:
Same question as Buddahead, I have 1800 total miles all with the Yamaha oil so far (changed oil & filter @ 500 mi). Should I change to fully synthetic now?

Also wondering if there is a better filter than the OEM?

I went to Mobil 1 at 1450 miles and put on 2000 this season with no problems. This time I went with a Mobil 1 filter as well, as Checker was selling 5 qts and filter for $19.94.

Back