• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MTX all Stock bad trenching

nytro7c

this topic has probaly been beat to death but i need to know how to set up the stock suspension from strap to shocks on a 2008 nytro mtx to make it stop trenching so bad.
Thanks

changethe track. The POS will never hook up right and all you do is spin the SOB down even when you're pointed down hill

Suck up the front limiter straps alot.. Cant remember which holes but try going up 3 or 4 you'll have more ski pressure but the attack angle will be better and help you get on top..

If you spend any $$ change the track and put a timber skid in.. Then it will be a totally different sled..

true true.. the track isnt made for straight up pow, but it sure hooks up good in spring or hard snow conditions...
you could get a powder track , but know this youll be cursing yourself on the harder spring rides...

In theory the stock track "is" a powder track, hence the soft paddles. I've found as the miles increase on the stock track the traction from the track decreases. I changed mine after 2000 miles and it was like riding a motorcycle with a flat rear tire. At 1200 miles I "pinned" the paddles, which helped but the track was still a POS.

My experiences on hard pack were very scary, several times i was spinning so bad that I didn't know if I was going to make to the top of the hill.

I cut the paddles down 3/4" to make the track an 1.5" trail track. Next best thing to replacing track, & believe it or not, it seems better in the deep stuff, it certainly wasn't worse off trail. I am much happier with the track now.

I plan to buy a 16"x 153"x 2.5" or 3" with STIFF paddles for Mountain riding next year, & will use the stock track for trail riding when the need for shorter lugs arises.

Now I just have to decide on the Mtn Tamer rear skid.

I started with a large utility knife, the style with the long blades that can be broken off. I kept the blade wet with water for lubrication, it helped the blade slide through the rubber, and sometimes didn't even complete a cut without adding more water. The blade is thinner so it worked very well, but eventually I broke it into too many pieces & needed to just use a standard utility knife with replaceable retractable blades, which worked nearly as well.

I took my time, slowly keeping every lug the same so finished track wouldn't vibrate from being out of balance & avoiding slicing myself, which would be VERY easy to do. Take extreme caution while performing this mod, it would too easy to get hurt if you rushed.

It worked flawlessly, I didn't pay close attention to the time, but I think I took about 2 hours nonstop.

Back