• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My 08 Apex RTX importing experiance

ScottyD

Expert
Hamilton Ontario/sled from Sand Lake/Kearney
Today i brought my new 08 rtx across the border.Last week when i paid for the sled i brought the letter of origin to US customs at the lewiston bridge and dropped it off,those people were just ignorant and rude.So today i went over and got the sled, stopped at US customs, they wouldn't help me untill i signed in on a clipboard,then the woman called myself and another gentleman stupid because we did not see the clipboard that you need to sign.After a 10 minute wait they called my name and stamped the letter of origin.i left and went to Canada customs, filled out the form, paid the GST and left. The Canadian customs people were helpful and friendly.I paid the RIV on line and should get the form in the mail shortly.The whole process was very easy to do and i saved $3000.00 importing my sled, so i would definately do it again ;)!

Attachments

• Apex RTX.JPG
    Apex RTX.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 59

Why did you stop at the US Customs? Was not aware they needed to do anything. The Canadian Customs are more than likely just looking to get their money. GST and PST. That has been my experience. The USA is all about stopping drugs and terrorism and the Canadian side is all about the tax. My wife is canadian. We cross often to ride and also to visit family.

Now, follow up your purchase to Yamaha Canada informing them of your recent purchase and why you went to the States. The more people who do this may help out future pricing policy up here.

i called yamaha canada for the letter of no recall, very nice people and they had the letter faxed to me in about 10 minutes. so now i just wait for the riv/form 2 to come in the mail and take the sled to Canadian Tire for the inspection then go and get it registered with a Canadian ownership

Stopping at US customs was not neccesary,They do a 72 hour check for liens and stolen.However if you bought a sled down there and it was stolen or had a lien on it and went back there riding and they ran a check ,you would lose your sled! so it's a good practice if you intend to go back and forth

If they are doing outbound checks and you get caught exporting without the 72hour clearance there is a $500 fine. They very seldom do checks on the outbound lane but you never know.

Back