• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need Help, performance questionable, mpg. horrible!!!

crashingsucks

Ok here it goes-
The problem- 1.On a good day I was lucky to get 120mi. out of a full tank of gas! Had a mid range surging condition (felt like slides opening and closing continously)!3. Even though under full throttle it pulled like a beast, it flattened out at around 100mph on the ice with a couple inches of snow and seemed like it just didn't want to go any faster (was at 10500-10600rpms)! My mods are- Goodwin performance clutchkit that engages at 4400 then jumps right upto 10400 to 10500 flattens out at 10600, K-n-N air filters which have home made velocity stacks installed (fastened velocity stacks from stock airbox to the filters), 165 main jets, 22.5 needle jets, 1.5 turns on mixture screw, holtzman silver slide springs, gutted stock exhaust, 1 1/4 camoplast snowcross track, 144 megabites down the middle, fett brothers transfer rods, maxx performance straight rate front springs!!!
Currently the sled has 1300mi on it and the season is over!! Hopefully I can get this thing sorted out by next season even though I had beat 3 f7's, 1 rev 800 ho, and 2 Blair Morgan Rev 600s, my top definitely feels like it could use a lot of help along with my mpg's!!
Thanks in advance guys, any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

A cloudy day with a low baromoter reading will make your sled run like crap. Early & late season the sleds don,t make the same power as they do on the cool clear crisp days. Even 4 strokes are effected by this. You were probably too rich for the conditions.

Mine had a problem like that. One of the plastic plungers that hold the needle down in the carburetor slide popped off so the needle would float up and down inside the slide. Since you have K&N's it's simple to check. Just take the K&N's off and reach in the throttle bodies with your hand and lift the needle in each carb to make sure the slide also rises with the needle.

I had previously checked all four, I also thought that could have been the problem!! I also checked the little o rings under the covers as well as the diaphram itself- all were good!!

Okay carbs not the problem try this. Pull your plug caps and check for black soot on them as well as the spark plug hole. Clean if necessary with electrical system cleaner, apply some dielectric grease to the spark plug insulators and put it back together. The black soot is an indication of spark arcing.

Ok, I'll check the plugs, another note this thing never popped or backfired even if the throttle was slammed shut after a full throttle run!!

I just checked the plugs and caps, no black residue just a little on tips pf electrodes, probably from my last ride which was in warm weather

I'm begining to wander if my silver holtzman springs are to light and causing my mid range fluctions?? Also do you guys think I'm overreving on the topend, if so I might coming out of my power band???

Back