• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need ski advice!

Which Option!?!?

• Simmons Gen 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slydog Trail

• Pilots

• Total voters

Currently I own a pair of Slydog Powderhounds and a pair of 6.9 Pilots- both are equipped with 6" Studboy Shaper Bars. The pilots, as others have said are good, easy steering skis, that float well in the powder. I found they pushed a little more than I liked in the corners, so I put them on my Rev (backup sled). I put 2000+ miles on the set of powderhounds last year and found them to be GREAT off trail and "acceptable" on trail, with similar issues with pushing, unless I really loaded up the ski pressure, at which point, the steering became VERY heavy, but the sled did rail. In the end, I purchased a set of Curves, which for my money are the best crossover ski for my purposes. They rail in the corners and have acceptable steering weight. Off trail they aren't as good as the Slydogs, but then again, they are more of a crossover ski. And personally, I haven't had the problems with darting that some have reported on here (probably worn suspension parts). If anyone's interested- I have a pair of 5.7 pilots (used) in good condition for $75 + shipping. These don't come with carbides or ski rubbers, just the skis and loops- PM me if interested.

Kråkan said:
SLP Powder Pro.. Great ski that has never been a hit in the US. Here in Sweden Many of those that get a new set of skis get the SLP PP..

That is definitely an interesting looking ski with a unique bottom profile. I checked into them last year but the company selling them told me that the right mounts were not available for my VL. Are they somewhat on the aggressive side though?

northerndoc said:
Currently I own a pair of Slydog Powderhounds and a pair of 6.9 Pilots- both are equipped with 6" Studboy Shaper Bars. The pilots, as others have said are good, easy steering skis, that float well in the powder. I found they pushed a little more than I liked in the corners, so I put them on my Rev (backup sled). I put 2000+ miles on the set of powderhounds last year and found them to be GREAT off trail and "acceptable" on trail, with similar issues with pushing, unless I really loaded up the ski pressure, at which point, the steering became VERY heavy, but the sled did rail. In the end, I purchased a set of Curves, which for my money are the best crossover ski for my purposes. They rail in the corners and have acceptable steering weight. Off trail they aren't as good as the Slydogs, but then again, they are more of a crossover ski. And personally, I haven't had the problems with darting that some have reported on here (probably worn suspension parts). If anyone's interested- I have a pair of 5.7 pilots (used) in good condition for $75 + shipping. These don't come with carbides or ski rubbers, just the skis and loops- PM me if interested.

You got a PM

slydogs

zeke66 said:
If you go Slydog, get the race ones. They are the same ski as the trail but, they are thicker and more rugged. I haven't seen it but, some say the trail ones are a bit flimsy.

BUT, as for the skis, I love the Slydogs. They have transformed my RTX into something I will keep now. I was contemplating getting rid of it.

Slydog Race
Bergstrom triple points ( 8" )
Bergstrom Ski Savers
144 picks down the middle

Only problem I have now is inside ski left once in a while but, thats not the skis.

PS: if you go this route, Scott will recommend the 3/8" ski savers to help with ease of steering. With this setup, steering is easy and goes where I point it. Fox Floats with 55 psi.

I agree with zeke66. You can do all the research you want....do yourself a favor, save your time, call Scott. His knowledge of skis is overwhelming. I bought powerhounds and I hated them. After a little help from Scott, I love them.

Call Scott BEFORE you buy skis. The stock ski is NOT that bad for TRAIL use if you set your suspension/carbide up correctly. I took my brand X skis off and went back to the stock ski and bergstrom carbides with great results.

STAIN said:
Call Scott BEFORE you buy skis. The stock ski is NOT that bad for TRAIL use if you set your suspension/carbide up correctly. I took my brand X skis off and went back to the stock ski and bergstrom carbides with great results.
Yes that is probably true, I didn't do anything with my stock skis other than shim the rear of the rubber and that helped some. And no doubt better carbides, etc would make them better again. However, I think it is very dependent on the trail conditions, you can do whatever you want to the narrow stock ski if the trail is soft they will just sink in and make steering very difficult, whereas the Slydog PH just floats.

Brand X? Which skis performed worse than stock for you.

BombaPolaYama said:
Kråkan said:
SLP Powder Pro.. Great ski that has never been a hit in the US. Here in Sweden Many of those that get a new set of skis get the SLP PP..

That is definitely an interesting looking ski with a unique bottom profile. I checked into them last year but the company selling them told me that the right mounts were not available for my VL. Are they somewhat on the aggressive side though?

THat is true. We use the Ski-doo mounts and just widen them (grind the bushing down abit. I measured and grinded down. THen you want a plate under the stock skirubber app 7mm or so.

They are agressive but steringeffort is app as stock ski.

I put Slydog race skis on my XTX and they are working WAY better than stock. 4.5" shaper bars and she hold the turns tight! Havent had much chance to run them in the deep stuff yet but expect they will be great there as well!

I have ski-doo precisions on my nytro which are very similar to the simmons if I understand they where copied from simmons and they work great. Also have pilots on my apex and they also work very well. I don't think you will be disappointed with either.

Back